An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some Questions

DominicanPhilosophy

DominicanPhilosophy

[i][b]1.[/b][/i] What is the Church's view of University of Notre Dame (South Bend, IN)? I've been there for a week this summer and last summer, and the more I look into it from the point-of-view of a high school upperclassman searching for colleges, I really do like it. Initially, I was sure that I wanted a small, liberal arts, Catholic college, but UND does feel small, despite its large size; the different scholastic programs offered also interest me. The only thing is, of course, the theology department. I would definitely drop Notre Dame as one of the colleges on my list if the theology department is really messed up/unfaithful to Rome. In light of the recent "scandal," I'd like to hear what the Vatican says about the university. Also, while each male dorm building has a priest, female dorms don't because, well, priests are male. However, I noticed on the school's website that each female dorm has a "rector": a sister (not sure the congregation) with different types of pastoral/ministry degrees. Does this mean that these are "women priests"? That kind of...weirded me out.

[b][i]2.[/i][/b] Has anyone attended or had personal experience(s) with Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Academy in Barry's Bay, Ontario, Canada? This seems like a wonderful place and, other than the fact that it's not accredited and is in a location where it is pretty chilly year-round, I think it would be a great school. The transfer of credits to/from would be nasty, it seems, though. I'm planning on taking college classes during the summer by my high school, so I'd have to transfer into and then, of course, out of OLSWA. (There are one-, two-, and three-year certificate programs.)

[i][b]3.[/b][/i] If a person has a crush on someone or finds certain people very nice/attractive, does this mean that he or she has no religious vocation?

Sorry about these somewhat strange, random, unrelated questions.
Thank you, to anyone who responds.

+JMJD

3. If a person has a crush on someone or finds certain people very nice/attractive, does this mean that he or she has no religious vocation?

I can answer this because I find myself in the seminary almost four years now, and I would not have even applied if this were true. I think wanting and desiring a relationship or admiring someone who is attractive is very healthy and if you didn't desire these things, usually, in my experience this will raise some red flags in the seminary.

icelandic_iceskater

#1. I have a totally unrelated answer for you... lol. But if you're looking into Notre Dame, check out [url="http://www.hcc-nd.edu/"]Holy Cross College[/url] as well. They're a small catholic school in South Bend. With N.D. and St. Mary's on the same block you get a lot of the big school type experiences with the small school type benefits. And they're orthodox. Just thought I'd throw that out there. ^.^

Deus te Amat

[url="http://www.udallas.edu"]www.udallas.edu[/url]

Check out the University of Dallas. It's a small, Catholic, liberal arts University, in line with the mandatum and magisterium. George Weigle's daughter went here, (he wrote Witness to Hope, JPII's biography) and he calls it "the best Catholic college in the united states".

They have a campus in Rome, where nearly all the students spend a semester. The theology department is huge, and extremely orthodox. The professors are here because they love the students, and love to teach. They love having students come into their office just to chat.

The student body is small (undergrad around 1300), but it is a really tight knit community. It is in Irving, TX, on the edge of the Dallas/FW megalopolis, but there is something called the "UD bubble"... the outside world doesn't really enter campus if you don't want it to.

Let me know if you have any questions. It is a really challenging school... and you honestly do learn a lot. Their motto is "the Catholic University for Independent Thinkers".

:)

Deus te Amat

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1897549' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:59 PM']Thank you, to anyone who responds.

+JMJD[/quote]

Oh, and a mutual someone we know loves UD. ;)

And so do more than a few of the sisters at your school. Please check it out! :)

VeniteAdoremus

3. [i]Absolutely[/i] not. There certainly are religious who never felt like dating, but that doesn't mean you don't have a vocation if you did date.

1. I don't know if Rome has come out and said anything officially in regards to the Obama scandal, but I do know that BXVI laid the smack-down a couple years ago and told Notre Dame they needed to shape up their philosophy and theology departments otherwise the Vatican would force them to remove the "catholic" from their name. So, it's sad to say that Our Lady's campus has been teetering on the edge for a while. If you're looking around for legit Catholic Colleges, I have two words for you: Benedictine College (www.benedictine.edu). We're a smaller school in Atchison, Kansas, but we have a very faithful and dynamic theology and philosophy department and we are ranked by USA Today as one of America's top colleges.

3. No, not necessarily. What you need to do is pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in His will to what His plan is to make you truly happy. You'll be in my prayers.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1897608' date='Jun 21 2009, 02:18 PM'][url="http://www.udallas.edu"]www.udallas.edu[/url]

Check out the University of Dallas. It's a small, Catholic, liberal arts University, in line with the mandatum and magisterium. George Weigle's daughter went here, (he wrote Witness to Hope, JPII's biography) and he calls it "the best Catholic college in the united states".

They have a campus in Rome, where nearly all the students spend a semester. The theology department is huge, and extremely orthodox. The professors are here because they love the students, and love to teach. They love having students come into their office just to chat.

The student body is small (undergrad around 1300), but it is a really tight knit community. It is in Irving, TX, on the edge of the Dallas/FW megalopolis, but there is something called the "UD bubble"... the outside world doesn't really enter campus if you don't want it to.

Let me know if you have any questions. It is a really challenging school... and you honestly do learn a lot. Their motto is "the Catholic University for Independent Thinkers".

:)[/quote]

I'm considering going to Dallas. :)

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1897627' date='Jun 21 2009, 02:30 PM']I'm considering going to Dallas. :)[/quote]

DO IT. Seriously. There's four different types of Masses within walking distance, and the Dallas Carmel offers the Tridentine Mass. It's only a few minute drive away.

Lots of the students at UD come from the traditional orthodox Catholic background. They know their stuff. It's great. :cool:

MissScripture

The only one I can offer any input on is number 3:

My priest was married before he became a priest (his wife died). And I know that many men and women dated before entering the seminary/monastery/convent. I've also heard stories of men who were about to get married and at the last minute decided they were not meant to get married, but instead became priests. And one of my professors never dated throughout high school and college, because all he ever wanted to do was become a priest. Well, after two rounds in the seminary (he started, it wasn't working, he went into the military, went back to the seminary after that for some time) he quit and got married. Discerning is a process, and one never knows where it might take them. Just be open to God's will.

I'd also like to add that a very wise person told me that some of the best Catholic spouses are those who had considered a religious vocation at some point. I don't know if that is because they chose marriage rather than make it a default position, or if those who have discerned take their faith more seriously. I think by discerning all possible vocations, we make better choices rather than just going where the flow takes us.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

1. I'm a Notre Dame student and theology major. I know what you mean about the atmosphere - it's what made me fall in love with ND many years ago. The theology department had nothing to do with President Obama coming to ND, it was the decision of a small group of administrators. There is some bad in the department, but the chairmen is solid and the direction is toward orthodoxy. I can assure you there are a great number of orthodox Catholic people on campus. There is even a Dominican presence on campus, since you appear to be interested. I'm guessing you did the Vision program so you probably already met some in the counselors. Many of them are my friends :-)
All the dorms have rectors. Most of the male dorms have priests as rectors and many of the female dorms have sisters. Some of each have lay rectors but the religious rectors are almost all Holy Cross. No matter what though every dorm, including female, has a priest in residence who presides at mass in the dorm chapel.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1897577' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:37 PM']#1. I have a totally unrelated answer for you... lol. But if you're looking into Notre Dame, check out [url="http://www.hcc-nd.edu/"]Holy Cross College[/url] as well. They're a small catholic school in South Bend. With N.D. and St. Mary's on the same block you get a lot of the big school type experiences with the small school type benefits. And they're orthodox. Just thought I'd throw that out there. ^.^[/quote]

M'lady recently graduated from St. Mary's this year. From what she's told me, it's similar to how I view Notre Dame: some people are trying very hard to be orthodox; others are not. It depends on whom you hang out with, and what classes you take.

If you're looking for the small-school atmosphere with the big-school advantages, definitely look into these smaller schools, though. M'lady was able to use all that Notre Dame had to offer, but still graduated in a very small school.

IcePrincessKRS

My brother in law and sister in law went to OLSWA in Canada. I believe they transfer credits to Thomas Aquinas in Cali and FUS if you wound up wanting to go somewhere else (I forget which schools accept their credits). My BIL only attended for a year, I believe, before transferring to TAC. My SIL stayed there. They both liked it pretty well from what I understand. If you have any specific questions I can e-mail and ask them. Theologically speaking it's solid.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='afrojohn' post='1897621' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:27 PM']1. I don't know if Rome has come out and said anything officially in regards to the Obama scandal, but I do know that BXVI laid the smack-down a couple years ago and told Notre Dame they needed to shape up their philosophy and theology departments otherwise the Vatican would force them to remove the "catholic" from their name.[/quote]
I would like to know more about where you heard this from. A few years ago, Pope Benedict XVI told President Fr. Jenkins that Notre Dame was "great Catholic university" when they met in Rome.
Unrelated but interesting, ND offered Fr. Ratzinger a job in the 60's. God had other plans ;-)

Oh, and our philosophy department is awesome!

Edited by thedude