An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some Questions

DominicanPhilosophy

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1903239' date='Jun 27 2009, 11:38 PM']btw - so if you went on destination jesus are you from the lafayette diocese.[/quote]

Thanks for your reasoning. :)

Nope, Nashville, with the Nashville Dominicans, who just like really long road trips, haha! :topsy:
We actually didn't get enough people to form a trip this year, but in '08 we were there. I hope that we can generate more interest and go this year!

+JMJD

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1903311' date='Jun 28 2009, 12:35 AM']Christendom has a dress code (for class and Mass) but the only time girls are required to wear a skirt or dress is to Sunday Mass. The school has flaws (which as an alum I could point out easily) but I wouldn't call it "freaky." You can't make that judgment unless you've been to school there. lol (Magdalen is more strict than C-dom... way too strict for my tastes, but I know of a few people who went there and loved it.)[/quote]

Wow, this is really cool lol

Other than ones mentioned on this board, my future college/post-high school plans list currently consists of..

- Ave Maria University [FL]
- Christendom College [VA]
- Magdalen College [NH]
- St. Anselm College [NH]
- University of Dallas [TX]

I thought Magdalen looked really neat, same with Christendom, but for me, it just seems like "C-dom" is really strict. If Magdalen is stricter than CC, that may be rough. :unsure: I thought that Magdalen's all-inclusive choral program thing seemed really neat though lol.

+JMJD

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1903329' date='Jun 28 2009, 01:46 AM']Wow, this is really cool lol

Other than ones mentioned on this board, my future college/post-high school plans list currently consists of..

- Ave Maria University [FL]
- Christendom College [VA]
- Magdalen College [NH]
- St. Anselm College [NH]
- University of Dallas [TX]

I thought Magdalen looked really neat, same with Christendom, but for me, it just seems like "C-dom" is really strict. If Magdalen is stricter than CC, that may be rough. :unsure: I thought that Magdalen's all-inclusive choral program thing seemed really neat though lol.

+JMJD[/quote]

I would suggest you visit C-dom during the school year, sit in on a couple classes, really get a feel for the school. Review the student handbook if you can so you know well in advance what the rules are. I think the three strictest rules are dress code for classes, no PDA, and curfew for students in their Fresh and Soph years (if they were under 21). #2 and 3 were no biggie for me, I was in my dorm by midnight most of the time anyway, and I didn't date anyone until my Junior year (and he wasn't a student there so we spent most of our time together off campus). Dress code is obviously one you have to contend with on a daily basis, but part of the thinking behind it (aside from modesty) is that when you go out in the real world and get a job you'll have to dress more professionally. Dressing that way for class sort of prepares you for that. And really, it's not that difficult. Some khakis and black slacks, a few skirts/dresses, and a handful of nice tops and you're pretty much set. I actually still own some stuff that I wore when I was a student (I graduated in 2002) that I still wear from time to time. (As a stay at home mom my usual "dress code" these days is a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. lol)

I had some amazing professors at C-dom, and I am still really, really close to my core group of friends that I spent the most time with. If nothing else I had Christendom to thank for those people in my life. Academically it was pretty challenging for me, but I learned a lot. Daily Mass is only a few minutes walk from anywhere on campus.

Deus te Amat

If you're interested in choir, the University of Dallas choir has a choir called the Collegium Cantorum. They basically only sing chant and they only for Mass, Weddings and Funerals. They are SO GOOD. They sing at every First Friday Mass at the nearby Cistercian Abbey.

:)

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1903415' date='Jun 28 2009, 01:15 AM']If you're interested in choir, the University of Dallas choir has a choir called the Collegium Cantorum. They basically only sing chant and they only for Mass, Weddings and Funerals. They are SO GOOD. They sing at every First Friday Mass at the nearby Cistercian Abbey.

:)[/quote]

Brigid has told me about them!

:woot:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1903417' date='Jun 28 2009, 02:16 AM']Brigid has told me about them!

:woot:[/quote]

Listening to them sing the Mass parts in an old stone Abbey...... with dim lights and lots of people and over 20 Fathers and Brothers... = heaven.

:)

littlesister

Take a good look at the Catholic Studies program at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul. Great classes. Great kids. Just a little chilly in winter.

• 1 month later...
Guest DancingBean09

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1897577' date='Jun 21 2009, 02:37 PM']#1. I have a totally unrelated answer for you... lol. But if you're looking into Notre Dame, check out [url="http://www.hcc-nd.edu/"]Holy Cross College[/url] as well. They're a small catholic school in South Bend. With N.D. and St. Mary's on the same block you get a lot of the big school type experiences with the small school type benefits. And they're orthodox. Just thought I'd throw that out there. ^.^[/quote]

I just graduated from Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, and I absolutely LOVE the school. (By the way, it's "Saint" Mary's, not "St." Mary's) I recieved an outstanding liberal arts education ad feel very prepared mentally and spiritually to enter the "real" world as an intelligent, practicing orthodox Catholic. I coud go on for hours about my love for Saint Marys. The education one recieves is truly outstanding. MOst of the faculty have the highest degrees in their fields and are extremely accessable. Classes are small and intimate. You have to be willing to work hard, but you will meet life long friends and grow from a girl into a woman. And we are not "liberal", as I have read on this blog. Yes, we have a Gay and Straight Alliance club and openly gay faculty. Also, we have a religious studies program (someone in the blog posted that we do not have a theology program) and opportunities to recieve certificates in lay ministry. I myself was a peer minister for 3 years and served as a liturgical minister. Unlike Notre Dame, we refuse to perform the Vagia Monologues and instead have a yearly "SMC Monologues" where college students, professors, friends, and even sisters from the convent (which is right on campus) submit stories. Oh, also, I was in the Notre Dame marching band all 4 years as a student. Please ask me anything about SMC/ND/HCC, and I will be happy to give an opinion or tell you what I know.

Go Belles!

I personally don't have a high opinion of Notre Dame (apart from their lovely grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes.)

In high school I had a teacher that went there from his freshman year all the way through his p.h.d. in biblical theology, concentrating on the Old Testament and I can tell you that I had to raise eyebrows at some of the stuff that he said. He claimed that in theory, God could have been the one who disguised Himself as a serpent and tempted Eve to eat of the forbidden fruit. He also made other claims that I have the feeling that only I caught on to that I knew were wrong. But hey, he was the one with the doctorate so who do you think would have been taken more seriously me a high school kid that didn't even have my driver's licence yet or him? He was good at being a teacher and we could all tell that he was very knowledgable so it made it look as if he could be trusted. So good was mixed with the bad and there may even have been other things that he said that truly were wrong that I didn't catch but I wouldn't know because I hadn't studied nearly as much as he had to verify. Sometimes heteroxy is easy to spot but other times it can be harder to find when you are not a trained theologian.

I'm a theology major transfering to an orthodox Catholic school where I won't have to worry about heresy slipping in called Benedictine College in Atchison, KS that is on the Newman's list. Half the students or so are not Catholic, but there is room for evangelization and from what I've been told there are lot of students that end up converting to Catholicism. It's a small school in a small town that has a decent looking campus that has a fine academic reputation even in the secular world.

As far as graduate work in rock solid Catholic schools go I'd check out the Catholic University of America, Holy Apostles College and Seminary, the University of Dallas, etc.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1903311' date='Jun 28 2009, 05:35 AM']Christendom has a dress code (for class and Mass) but the only time girls are required to wear a skirt or dress is to Sunday Mass. The school has flaws (which as an alum I could point out easily) but I wouldn't call it "freaky." You can't make that judgment unless you've been to school there. lol (Magdalen is more strict than C-dom... way too strict for my tastes, but I know of a few people who went there and loved it.)[/quote]
What little I know of Magdalen is from my cousin. He did well there, but I think I would have found it too strict. Of course, I also wasn't Catholic until after graduating from uni. :topsy:

Thomist-in-Training

About the UD theology program: I only took three and one-eighth classes in it, but I don't know if I would recommend it to everyone. Probably most people on PM don't feel as strongly about it as me. It's the kind of thing that is explained by the fact that there are really three general factions / schools of thought / portions of the spectrum in Catholic land today: liberal, as epitomized by most Jesuit colleges; conservative, as epitomized by EWTN and devotion to Vatican II; traditional/traditionalist. I'm in the third and the UD theology department seems to be in the second. At least, two of the three professors I took did, and the third was only a temporary professor. Again though, I only took a few classes. There was just too much emphasis on Vatican II (as if nothing else had been written) and in the Systematics 1 class, on 19th-century Protestant theologians (it seemed like a month to me... some people claim it was less, but too much anyhow for a class that was supposed to be a basic class at a Catholic university. The seminarians had to take it and they sat in the back and we occasionally made faces at each other when something got suspicious, like von Balthasar's theory of Holy Saturday). DtA can weigh in on this if she wants. I was considering a Theo major, but I found I didn't really want to. This isn't to say that there probably aren't also excellent professors in Theo at UD. I did enjoy the introductory Bible class and Western Theological Traditions. And as a [i]whole [/i] I loved the school. I just don't think it's the best of the best for theology, but I don't know what is.

I know a few people who graduated from Magdalen. I gather that it's really fun if it's the kind of thing you would like. Really small & the music is fantastic apparently. In winter it's the boys' job to shovel the sidewalks, which is seen as a chance to display manliness and impress the girls. I guess it's a co-op sort of approach: [quote]The Campus Service Program is an activity in which every student participates. It develops personal responsibility, leadership qualities, and generous service in a student through a variety of practical tasks. By working in the Dining Room, Kitchen, Administration Office, or Library, or by helping to maintain the physical facilities, students have the opportunity to contribute to the upkeep of the campus and to develop practical skills. The Campus Service Program also minimizes operating costs, permitting the room and board fees to be more affordable.[/quote]