An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some Questions

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1899889' date='Jun 23 2009, 03:26 PM']Just so you know, there is a Dominican Priory on the University of Dallas campus.[/quote]+J.M.J.+
yeah, that's where Fr. Philip was at (he teaches summer courses there now but is in Rome taking classes himself.)

DominicanPhilosophy

Ah, nice! [i]"Legit!"[/i] He would be the man to ask, then. Thank you, LilRed! :thumbsup:

+JMJD

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

Vincent Vega

I think goin to ND for theology would be akin to learning how to tune a BMW engine at a John Deere factory.
I should add, I'm sure that there are some good, orthodox professors at that school, but where the head goes, whether of a man, a family, or a large university, the body follows.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1899912' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:54 PM']I think goin to ND for theology would be akin to learning how to tune a BMW engine at a John Deere factory.
I should add, I'm sure that there are some good, orthodox professors at that school, but where the head goes, whether of a man, a family, or a large university, the body follows.[/quote]

Hmm..this is true. Notre Damers out there, what's your take on this?
I think I'm just having a hard time accepting that such a great school could have a troubled theology program, having "Our Lady" in its name and all.

:weep: so confused!

+JMJD

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899599' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:55 AM']mommas_boy - That would be great ;-)[/quote]

Shoot. Forgot to remind her on the phone tonight. I'll try and remember tomorrow. It's 1:00 AM there, now.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1900448' date='Jun 24 2009, 01:40 AM']Hmm..this is true. Notre Damers out there, what's your take on this?
I think I'm just having a hard time accepting that such a great school could have a troubled theology program, having "Our Lady" in its name and all.

:weep: so confused!

+JMJD[/quote]

I hate saying, but most theology programs at Catholic universities are like that, honey. Some are better than others, but almost anywhere you go you are going to find scripture scholars that have their minds stuck in the historical-critical method (without recourse to what the Church teaches), and others who concern themselves only with social justice (important, to be sure, but not at the expense of losing Christ-- how do you do the work of Christ without knowing Him?).

If you're not interested in going to a place like Ave Maria or Thomas Aquinas (in California, I think?), then you're probably going to have to deal with at least some of that in the theology programs. The "bigger" name schools you get to, the more likely the theology's going to be worse.

Honestly, if you do have an attraction to ND or some place like that, I would go for their philosophy department. The general trend I see (which is certainly true at my university) is that the philosophy departments are usually more Catholic than are the theology programs. And if you plan on doing further work in theology (masters or phd), you're going to want to get a good background in philosophy. Almost all programs require at least a minor in it. That's what the seminarians have to do-- they have to have a strong background in philosophy before they even get to their theological studies.

Plus, if you do a philosophy major, you can do theology as a minor. This gives you more wiggle room in choosing professors that are more orthodox than others, if the program has a mixture of the two. Again, that's what I'm doing. Our theology program isn't the best, but we have a few good profs. One horrible scripture prof, which unfortunately you have to take her if you want to get the major. So, I dropped to a minor and I get to pick and choose who I want to take.

Anywho. If you do decide on ND, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world. It'd be stressful, because you'll be coming into every class on guard and ready to defend the truth. But you'll learn a lot, because you'll constantly be checking what you're 'learning' against other sources, so you'll do more work than most everyone else, but you'll probably get a lot out of it. Granted, you'll be doing a lot of self-teaching and research. And you'll also have to fight for your grades, depending on the profs, who might mark you down for disagreeing. But just know that you won't be able to say, "The Catechism says...." You'll have to actually do the research behind why the catechism says such and such, so that you argue on their ground. And then be prepared for them to dismiss you because, guess what, you don't have a ph. d and they do...

... Not that I've ever had to deal with any of this or anything... :unsure:

LouisvilleFan

You could also study philosophy at Providence...

or come to my alma mater, the University of Louisville... there's at least one Catholic professor there :)

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899894' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:32 PM']StColette - I see..thank you. In your opinion, would you say to seek out colleges with a Mandatum (ie, Are most colleges [i]without[/i] a required Oath of Fidelity so far out-of-line with True Catholic theology that it would be prudent to look elsewhere first?)?

Also, to those who know ND, how are the Holy Cross Brothers (and Sisters..I think they have Sisters)?

Deus_te_Amat - :clap: UD will definitely be visited by me in the next two years, haha!

+JMJD[/quote]

If you're trying to get a Theology degree and that Theology degree will be the source of your career either through teaching or ministry, I personally would select a college that I knew for sure would be teaching what the Church teaches. Going to such a school, the one's that have the mandatum and/or Oath of Fidelity also have their draw backs. Some diocese in the US blacklist graduates from those colleges because they are aware of their orthodoxy. Many of the Catholic university that I looked into before selecting FUS were far enough out of line with true Catholic theology that I couldn't bring myself to go there. For 3 of them I would have went to school for free, but to me a faithful school was more important. I would say to continue to pray about it. Sometimes God does call us to places that aren't exactly what we thought they would be or places that will stretch us.

loveletslive

i'm from indiana (ha i just saw your post on how you went to destination jesus, i was there too!) and pretty much ND is a joke. i don't even think of it at a Catholic university. but then again most 'Catholic' schools don't really retain their Catholic identity. a few of my friends go to St. Mary's across the road (they love it!)

one of my friends from college just started graduate work at ND for theology...not sure that's the school i'd choose if i wanted an orthodox education in Catholic theology.

oh yeah and only one of the nuns up there at ND still wears a habit. lame! also there is a list of there of a handful of schools that are loyal to the Magesterium and are super legit and orthodox. some of them are kinda freaky (i think Christendom is the one where girls have to wear skirts or something?)

Edited by loveletslive

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1901713' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:46 AM']i'm from indiana (ha i just saw your post on how you went to destination jesus, i was there too!) and pretty much ND is a joke.[/quote]

I'm sorry, this isn't the football thread.

hehehe... couldn't help myself :cool:

Of course, seeing as my own school is an even bigger joke in football, I haven't got much ground to stand on.

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1901713' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:46 AM']i'm from indiana (ha i just saw your post on how you went to destination jesus, i was there too!)[/quote]
No way me too!! Not this past year, but the year before. With Immaculee Ilabagiza << she is amazing! MCTS was there too. :dancer2:

[/end hijack]

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1901713' date='Jun 25 2009, 11:46 PM']i'm from indiana (ha i just saw your post on how you went to destination jesus, i was there too!) and pretty much ND is a joke. i don't even think of it at a Catholic university. but then again most 'Catholic' schools don't really retain their Catholic identity. a few of my friends go to St. Mary's across the road (they love it!)

one of my friends from college just started graduate work at ND for theology...not sure that's the school i'd choose if i wanted an orthodox education in Catholic theology.

oh yeah and only one of the nuns up there at ND still wears a habit. lame! also there is a list of there of a handful of schools that are loyal to the Magesterium and are super legit and orthodox. some of them are kinda freaky (i think Christendom is the one where girls have to wear skirts or something?)[/quote]

Hi there; thanks for your response!

I'm just wondering, though, why do you personally think of ND as a joke? I know a lot of people feel that way, but I'm looking for concrete reasons. I've heard many people say they don't consider ND Catholic anymore, and I can appreciate that opinion, but I may agree if there were sufficient reasons not to consider it a Catholic university. I know it's not the most orthodox uni out there, but this whole thread is my giving the school the benefit of the doubt as far as its theology program goes. Also, I just found out that they have a joint philosophy-theology major, which is totally what I would do if I were to attend Notre Dame.

:wacko:

+JMJD

loveletslive

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1903031' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:30 PM']Hi there; thanks for your response!

I'm just wondering, though, why do you personally think of ND as a joke? I know a lot of people feel that way, but I'm looking for concrete reasons. I've heard many people say they don't consider ND Catholic anymore, and I can appreciate that opinion, but I may agree if there were sufficient reasons not to consider it a Catholic university. I know it's not the most orthodox uni out there, but this whole thread is my giving the school the benefit of the doubt as far as its theology program goes. Also, I just found out that they have a joint philosophy-theology major, which is totally what I would do if I were to attend Notre Dame.[/quote]

well mainly i just think it would be unwise to go there for theology. i picked indiana university because it has one of the best business schools in the world. it would have made no sense for me to go to a school that didn't have a business school or one that wasn't very good if i could go to the BEST school.

so like, if i were to major in theology i would want to go to a school where i was SURE i was learning everything orthodox/legit and that my school was faithful to the magesterium. and i know my seminarian/priest friends do not think highly of ND at all...it used to be my dream to go there because it was a Catholic school. then i realized it doesn't have much of a catholic identity. meh. bishop d'arcy up there in south bend/ ft. wayne is a really good bishop though. i think the blog american papist has some info on ND and their theology profs from the whole obama scandal if you want to check that out. i think saint meinrad in southern indiana has theology degrees but it's not like a typical college experience since it's a major seminary.

btw - so if you went on destination jesus are you from the lafayette diocese.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1901713' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:46 AM']i'm from indiana (ha i just saw your post on how you went to destination jesus, i was there too!) and pretty much ND is a joke. i don't even think of it at a Catholic university. but then again most 'Catholic' schools don't really retain their Catholic identity. a few of my friends go to St. Mary's across the road (they love it!)

oh yeah and only one of the nuns up there at ND still wears a habit. lame! also there is a list of there of a handful of schools that are loyal to the Magesterium and are super legit and orthodox. some of them are kinda freaky (i think Christendom is the one where girls have to wear skirts or something?)[/quote]

Christendom has a dress code (for class and Mass) but the only time girls are required to wear a skirt or dress is to Sunday Mass. The school has flaws (which as an alum I could point out easily) but I wouldn't call it "freaky." You can't make that judgment unless you've been to school there. lol (Magdalen is more strict than C-dom... way too strict for my tastes, but I know of a few people who went there and loved it.)