An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin Stepping Down As Alaska Governor

cappie

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Gov. Sarah Palin announced Friday that she will step down as Alaska’s chief executive by the end of the month. She will not seek election to a second gubernatorial term in 2010.

Palin, a Republican, was elected governor in 2006. She was tapped as Arizona Sen. John McCain’s vice presidential running mate last year.

Palin said she was transferring authority to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will be sworn in on July 25.

“She thinks she has accomplished goals she has set forward,” a source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said.

“She sees what a positive influence she has had on people’s lives from traveling the country in the last year.”

A Republican source close to Palin’s political team told CNN’s John King that it was a “calculation” she made that “it was time to move on.”

The governor’s “book deal and other issues” were “causing a lot of friction up” in her home state, the source said, adding that he believes that she is “mapping out a path to 2012.”

As the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, Palin has been considered one of the front-runners for the GOP presidential nomination in 2012. Her decision not to seek another term as governor is sure to stoke speculation that Palin is seriously eyeing a run for the White House.

In an interview last month with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, Palin said she was unsure about her re-election bid because she needed to focus on her state and her family.

“So, no decision yet on either 2010 or let alone 2012?” Blitzer asked.

“No decision that I’d want to announce today,” Palin responded.

Palin catapulted on the national stage last August when McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, chose her as his running mate.

– CNN’s Peter Hamby, John King, Mark Preston, and Alan Silverleib contributed to this report
[url="http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/03/palin-stepping-down-as-alaska-governor/"]http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/03/pa...laska-governor/[/url]

Lounge Daddy

Well, she was there just long enough to [url="http://www.examiner.com/x-2968-Alaska-Gubernatorial-Examiner~y2009m3d6-Sarah-Palin-appoints-former-board-member-of-Family-Planning-to-AK-Supreme-Court"]appoint a Planned Parenthood board member to the State Supreme Court[/url]. Good for her.

goldenchild17

[quote name='rachael' post='1909418' date='Jul 3 2009, 05:22 PM']why do i not care? :unsure:[/quote]

same here :mellow:

Why would she not finish her term if she is eyeing the White House? It seems like that would be a bad move.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1909607' date='Jul 3 2009, 07:43 PM']Why would she not finish her term if she is eyeing the White House? It seems like that would be a bad move.[/quote]

Staying in office and scoring few political points looks bad. The Political Class is all about pointing to accomplishments while in office. So far, all she has done this year is appoint a pro-abortion activist to the State Supreme Court.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1909607' date='Jul 3 2009, 06:43 PM']Why would she not finish her term if she is eyeing the White House? It seems like that would be a bad move.[/quote]
something controversial?

[quote name='Faith 1st' post='1909692' date='Jul 3 2009, 07:39 PM']:mellow:[/quote]
i totally agree.

CatherineM

If she stayed in office, she couldn't travel all over the lower 48, giving speeches and raising her media exposure. I doubt she is planning to stay home and babysit her new grandchild so her daughter can go to school.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1909754' date='Jul 3 2009, 08:18 PM']I doubt she is planning to stay home and babysit her new grandchild so her daughter can go to school.[/quote]

She probably can hire a nanny to do that.

CatherineM

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1909802' date='Jul 3 2009, 08:46 PM']She probably can hire a nanny to do that.[/quote]

You seem to think that any issue can be solved by paying a woman to take care of it.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1909823' date='Jul 3 2009, 08:55 PM']You seem to think that any issue can be solved by paying a woman to take care of it.[/quote]

:lol_pound:

Isn't it true though?

:unsure:

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1909754' date='Jul 3 2009, 09:18 PM']If she stayed in office, she couldn't travel all over the lower 48, giving speeches and raising her media exposure. I doubt she is planning to stay home and babysit her new grandchild so her daughter can go to school.[/quote]

That's my thought as well. That and fundraising dinners at X dollars a plate probably pays better than the Governorship too.