An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin Stepping Down As Alaska Governor

cappie

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1911563' date='Jul 5 2009, 11:56 AM']It does seem like it would be hard to do a governor's job while campaigning for a year or two.[/quote]

It does. And now the campaigns start less than a year after the last election. Yikes. Mitt Romney has also been attending functions that allow him to schmooze it up with Republican money men, and publicity folks too.

By the way, I wonder if Palin is really thinking White House... or if she is thinking Congress.

CatherineM

I think she quit this early to start raising money for a presidential race. Now that we have elected a black man president, in part because is was past time to do so, it will be time for a female president.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1911709' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:18 PM']It does. And now the campaigns start less than a year after the last election. Yikes. Mitt Romney has also been attending functions that allow him to schmooze it up with Republican money men, and publicity folks too.

By the way, I wonder if Palin is really thinking White House... or if she is thinking Congress.[/quote]

Would probably be wiser for her to go Congress first and then run for the presidency.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1911725' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:35 PM']I think she quit this early to start raising money for a presidential race. Now that we have elected a black man president, in part because is was past time to do so, it will be time for a female president.[/quote]

Maybe....:think: I think 2012 is too early for her though.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/ludwig+van+beethoven/track/beethoven%3a+symphony+%239+in+d+minor%2c+op.+125%2c+%22choral%22+-+4.+presto%2c+%22o+freunde%2c+nicht+diese+t%c8%b5ne!%22%2c+allegro+assai"]Ludwig Van Beethoven - Beethoven: Symphony #9 In D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral" - 4. Presto, "O Freunde, Nicht Diese Tȵne!", Allegro Assai[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

When she said that she has had over a $500,000 in personal legal bills, it made me think that she might need to earn some money. Earning that kind of money is not really possible while serving in public office. Doesn't she have a book deal?

It may well be that she simply wishes to be seen as the GOP standard bearer, ala Newt, for the next few years.

After she unifies, strengthens, and drags the GOP kicking and screaming back into political power, she may be able to point back at that and say, "Don't y'all want me to bring the country back as well?"

Then too, she is a wife, mother, grandmother, business partner and probably a couple of other tasks which may require attention from time to time.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1910816' date='Jul 4 2009, 04:40 PM']conflict of interest.[/quote]
The three words responsible for the downfall of the entire American political system.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Dan' post='1912654' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:50 PM']It may well be that she simply wishes to be seen as the GOP standard bearer, ala Newt, for the next few years.[/quote]

Thank God she can't be pope. She'd give Jesus' words about the "gates of hell" a run for their money.

[quote name='Dan' post='1912654' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:50 PM']After she unifies, strengthens, and drags the GOP kicking and screaming back into political power, she may be able to point back at that and say, "Don't y'all want me to bring the country back as well?"[/quote]

Palin has worked to unify absolutely nobody. I hope she disappears from the national scene... the sooner, the better. Is there no such thing as a pro-life politician or activist who can actually persuade the opposition? Or someone who is actually respected? They all seem so bull-headed and stuck in their little corner of the world with no perspective outside of it. The fact that she can't work with the Democratic respresentatives in Alaska and is apparently unwilling to learn how to work with them is proof that she's in no way cut out for politics, much less the White House.

For the record, I didn't really vote for Palin so much as I voted for McCain and against Obama/Biden.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1911709' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:18 PM']By the way, I wonder if Palin is really thinking White House... or if she is thinking Congress.[/quote]

I wonder that same. She does not seem liek th type that would be willing to be the GOPs sacrificial lamb against obama in 2012. I am not saying that he can't be beat.... but it won't be Sarah Palin that will get the job done.

If she resigned in hopes of making a run for the whitehouse she is delusional.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1912724' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:37 PM']s there no such thing as a pro-life politician or activist who can actually persuade the opposition? Or someone who is actually respected? They all seem so bull-headed and stuck in their little corner of the world with no perspective outside of it. The fact that she can't work with the Democratic respresentatives in Alaska and is apparently unwilling to learn how to work with them is proof that she's in no way cut out for politics, much less the White House.[/quote]

Sounds like some people on Phatmass...:mellow:

tinytherese

My dad's side of the family is still convinced that Obama can do no wrong and that he is perfect. :rolleyes:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1912724' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:37 PM']...The fact that she can't work with the Democratic respresentatives in Alaska and is apparently unwilling to learn how to work with them is proof that she's in no way cut out for politics, much less the White House.

For the record, I didn't really vote for Palin so much as I voted for McCain and against Obama/Biden.[/quote]

Just because you don't see her "working" with the Democrats doesn't mean much. I mean, is Palin working with the democrats as much as the Catholics are working with Obama?

You can only work with someone who is willing to work with you and sometimes the issues are black and white and there is no middle ground such as the abortion debate with Obama and the democrats.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/don+mclean/track/american+pie"]Don McLean - American Pie[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1912814' date='Jul 6 2009, 06:07 PM']Just because you don't see her "working" with the Democrats doesn't mean much. I mean, is Palin working with the democrats as much as the Catholics are working with Obama?[/quote]

I don't know... if you're a member of Congress, you have to work with the president on some level. They don't have the option of simply tuning out like some here apparently would like to do.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1912814' date='Jul 6 2009, 06:07 PM']You can only work with someone who is willing to work with you and sometimes the issues are black and white and there is no middle ground such as the abortion debate with Obama and the democrats.[/quote]

Some Democrats are pro-life, just as some Republicans are pro-choice. And as far as I can tell, Obama has at least expressed more willingness to listen and work with pro-lifers. I know he's still going to have FOCA passed, but the job of pro-life representatives from both parties to engage the political process as the Act moves through Congress to work in stronger conscience clauses, etc. It may be a small victory, but here in the real world you work hard to get what you can because other people are working harder to take it away. If your single goal is reversing Roe v. Wade and you're blind to the multitude of life-related issues and bills that could slowly help you get to that ultimate goal, you'll never get there.

It's not your message, but the way you deliver your message that will draw people to it.