An Old School Catholic Message Board

Morals Not From God

eagle_eye222001

Nihil Obstat

Why should it be considered immoral to be anti social and harmful, as long as you're happy?

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='bonkers' post='1912491' date='Jul 6 2009, 07:17 AM']I reject the idea that there's any inherent goodness to choosing to act morally, or being a moral person, and any belief there is is illusory. But just on a pragmatic level it would appear behaviour that is pro-social and conducive to society and individuals could be defiend as 'moral' and behaviour that is anti-social and hamrful to individuals could be defined as 'immoral'.[/quote]

So who decides what qualifies and what doesn't? :mellow: Lot of room for interpretation.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/breaking+benjamin/track/so+cold+(remix)"]Breaking Benjamin - So Cold (Remix)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1912834' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:26 PM']Why should it be considered immoral to be anti social and harmful, as long as you're happy?[/quote]

That depends on whether being anti-social and harmful would actually make you happy.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1912840' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:32 PM']So who decides what qualifies and what doesn't? :mellow: Lot of room for interpretation.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/breaking+benjamin/track/so+cold+(remix)"]Breaking Benjamin - So Cold (Remix)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url][/quote]

The Strongest.

Fidei Defensor

I think it's funny that there are a lot of "moral" things that have been and are decided by society and popular opinion, that you wouldn't argue. For example, black people being less than white people, women being less than men, etc. These ideas stem from moral beliefs but have changed based on the opinions at the time.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1912953' date='Jul 6 2009, 07:37 PM']The Strongest.[/quote]

Same in your system.

[quote name='bonkers' post='1912491' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:17 AM']I reject the idea that there's any inherent goodness to choosing to act morally, or being a moral person, and any belief there is is illusory. But just on a pragmatic level it would appear behaviour that is pro-social and conducive to society and individuals could be defiend as 'moral' and behaviour that is anti-social and hamrful to individuals could be defined as 'immoral'.[/quote]

That's how sociopaths think.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1913095' date='Jul 6 2009, 08:17 PM']That's how sociopaths think.[/quote]
And a comparison to some kind of horrible evil for the win! I was holding out for Hitler, but this will do.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1913121' date='Jul 6 2009, 08:37 PM']And a comparison to some kind of horrible evil for the win! I was holding out for Hitler, but this will do.[/quote]

It's the truth though. The only reason why sociopaths follow the rules set forth by society is so they don't get punished.

Winchester

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1913121' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:37 PM']And a comparison to some kind of horrible evil for the win! I was holding out for Hitler, but this will do.[/quote]
Hitler is the go to guy. Everyone hates him.

Winchester

[quote name='bonkers' post='1912491' date='Jul 6 2009, 07:17 AM']I reject the idea that there's any inherent goodness to choosing to act morally, or being a moral person, and any belief there is is illusory. But just on a pragmatic level it would appear behaviour that is pro-social and conducive to society and individuals could be defiend as 'moral' and behaviour that is anti-social and hamrful to individuals could be defined as 'immoral'.[/quote]
That would be a no, then. But the extra information doesn't hurt.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Winchester' post='1913140' date='Jul 6 2009, 08:51 PM']Hitler is the go to guy. Everyone hates him.[/quote]
Thank God for Hitler. Without him, there would be many a point left unillustrated.

Winchester

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1913160' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:03 PM']Thank God for Hitler.[/quote]
If irony weren't illegal, that would be a great bumper sticker.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Winchester' post='1913169' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:11 PM']If irony weren't illegal, that would be a great bumper sticker.[/quote]
You know it.