Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1911139' date='Jul 4 2009, 11:55 PM'][i]Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market-place, and cried incessantly: "I am looking for God! I am looking for God!"[/quote] This is one of my favorite aphorisms from Nietzsche. I believe it is from the Gay Science. It is awesome.
Hassan Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' post='1911174' date='Jul 4 2009, 11:20 PM']This is one of my favorite aphorisms from Nietzsche. I believe it is from the Gay Science. It is awesome.[/quote] (it is from "The Gay Science") I like it too.
kafka Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1911165' date='Jul 5 2009, 12:16 AM']I respect the honesty.[/quote] God is Justice and Mercy, unfortunately for some people they let their serious sins (which not only offend God but harm the human race and entire world) go too far and then God set things in check. If He doesnt punish, then evils would just continue to go on and on and on. This is one of the big teachings about the End Times. Eventually the Church and the world becomes so severely sinful that God intervenes and in the act of intervening He begins to unfold over many years His incredible plan to definitively establish His kingdom on Earth permanently, for all times. This life isnt playtime.
bonkers Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1910643' date='Jul 4 2009, 11:39 AM']So you would start with their being no morals at all in which case nothing is inherently wrong and such historical events such as the culture of 1930s Germany can be justified?[/quote] I never said there were no morals.
Winchester Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 [quote name='bonkers' post='1911348' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:38 AM']I never said there were no morals.[/quote] So morals are really real?
Hassan Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' post='1911487' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:38 AM']So morals are really real?[/quote] I'd like to see his answer.
Winchester Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1911995' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:09 PM'] I'd like to see his answer.[/quote] meow
eagle_eye222001 Posted July 6, 2009 Author Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1911995' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:09 PM'] I'd like to see his answer.[/quote] Maybe he doesn't have one. ---------------- Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/lifehouse/track/days+go+by"]Lifehouse - Days Go By[/url] via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]
bonkers Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' post='1911487' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:38 AM']So morals are really real?[/quote] I reject the idea that there's any inherent goodness to choosing to act morally, or being a moral person, and any belief there is is illusory. But just on a pragmatic level it would appear behaviour that is pro-social and conducive to society and individuals could be defiend as 'moral' and behaviour that is anti-social and hamrful to individuals could be defined as 'immoral'.
Didacus Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 Silly rabbit, morals are from God, without this you're only talking about ethics.
Nihil Obstat Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 Why should it be considered immoral to be anti social and harmful, as long as you're happy?
eagle_eye222001 Posted July 6, 2009 Author Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='bonkers' post='1912491' date='Jul 6 2009, 07:17 AM']I reject the idea that there's any inherent goodness to choosing to act morally, or being a moral person, and any belief there is is illusory. But just on a pragmatic level it would appear behaviour that is pro-social and conducive to society and individuals could be defiend as 'moral' and behaviour that is anti-social and hamrful to individuals could be defined as 'immoral'.[/quote] So who decides what qualifies and what doesn't? Lot of room for interpretation. ---------------- Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/breaking+benjamin/track/so+cold+(remix)"]Breaking Benjamin - So Cold (Remix)[/url] via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]
Hassan Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1912834' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:26 PM']Why should it be considered immoral to be anti social and harmful, as long as you're happy?[/quote] That depends on whether being anti-social and harmful would actually make you happy.
KnightofChrist Posted July 6, 2009 Posted July 6, 2009 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1912840' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:32 PM']So who decides what qualifies and what doesn't? Lot of room for interpretation. ---------------- Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/breaking+benjamin/track/so+cold+(remix)"]Breaking Benjamin - So Cold (Remix)[/url] via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url][/quote] The Strongest.
Fidei Defensor Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 I think it's funny that there are a lot of "moral" things that have been and are decided by society and popular opinion, that you wouldn't argue. For example, black people being less than white people, women being less than men, etc. These ideas stem from moral beliefs but have changed based on the opinions at the time.
Hassan Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1912953' date='Jul 6 2009, 07:37 PM']The Strongest.[/quote] Same in your system.
T-Bone _ Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 [quote name='bonkers' post='1912491' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:17 AM']I reject the idea that there's any inherent goodness to choosing to act morally, or being a moral person, and any belief there is is illusory. But just on a pragmatic level it would appear behaviour that is pro-social and conducive to society and individuals could be defiend as 'moral' and behaviour that is anti-social and hamrful to individuals could be defined as 'immoral'.[/quote] That's how sociopaths think.
Fidei Defensor Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 [quote name='T-Bone _' post='1913095' date='Jul 6 2009, 08:17 PM']That's how sociopaths think.[/quote] And a comparison to some kind of horrible evil for the win! I was holding out for Hitler, but this will do.
T-Bone _ Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' post='1913121' date='Jul 6 2009, 08:37 PM']And a comparison to some kind of horrible evil for the win! I was holding out for Hitler, but this will do.[/quote] It's the truth though. The only reason why sociopaths follow the rules set forth by society is so they don't get punished.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now