An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Question For The Girls

VoTeckam

homeschoolmom

Quality aside, the idea that you would invite people to a pampered chef shower is really tacky in my opinion. The idea that the bride would [i]tell you [/i]to organize such event [i]for her[/i] is beyond tacky.

I wouldn't attend.

Odd that she requested Pampered Chef. I would skip the whole idea and just do my own version of "Pampered Chef". :bluesbrother: You could have a laptop there with bookmarks for certain sites for people to choose from. It would require more research, but it would be waaay cooler in the end to let them choose. I like your idea for the kitchen party too. :dancer2:

franciscanheart

Yes, it's tacky. But just to clarify (because I attended one of these parties as a bridesmaid for a girl I know), you don't have to order right then. They give you like a week to decide if you want to buy something for the bride and if so, what it is. Yes, a lot of people order right then. Most of the people at this girl's shower were family, so it wasn't a big deal.

But yeah, way tacky.

CatherineM

Tacky, but that seems to be the way weddings are going these days. I'm a Cuisinart person myself.

missionseeker

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1912757' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:30 PM']I realize I sound like a total snob there, but I spent a long time using awful kitchen stuff, and now have good stuff. It is like a whole new world has opened. If she likes to cook, good stuff will make a gigantic difference. And wedding guests want to support a new couple by preparing them well for the future. Good tools for the kitchen are a wonderful investment.[/quote]

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1913256' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:18 PM']Tacky, but that seems to be the way weddings are going these days. I'm a Cuisinart person myself.[/quote]

:yes:

I love good kitchen things :)

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1912793' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:42 PM']Now I am curious... just how fancy are these spoons?[/quote]

they were fancy. fancier than quisinart.

but I do have to say I went in the store and everything had a lustrious sparkle that I'd never seen before

VeniteAdoremus

It beats dressing up in black minidress and veil and walking through Amsterdam drunk. (Although that's mostly men.)

But I'd be super-uncomfortable. And I also like the second idea way better - as a cooking geek, I'd go for quality as well.

My mum once saw a table setting she thought I'd love and wanted to get me a set. In the end all she could afford was an egg cup :)

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I felt that your opinions validated my own so I spoke with the bride last night and I am going to go with plan B (a culinary themed shower). Having talked with her I think she was suggesting pampered chef because she thought it would be less work for me. Lucky for her I like to work hard. ^_^ Especially for fun stuff like this!

Thanks again!

CatherineM

My bridal shower was in Canada, where I didn't really know anyone yet, so it was my husband's female friends, daughters or wives of his male friends, and a couple of his old girlfriends, which seemed strange on a variety of levels.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1913363' date='Jul 7 2009, 08:15 AM']It beats dressing up in black minidress and veil and walking through Amsterdam drunk. (Although that's mostly men.)[/quote]

:blink: :lol:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1913481' date='Jul 7 2009, 09:35 AM']My bridal shower was in Canada, where I didn't really know anyone yet, so it was my husband's female friends, daughters or wives of his male friends, and a couple of his old girlfriends, which seemed strange on a variety of levels.[/quote]

I'm still friends with a few of my old girlfriends. I'm not sure if they would organize my fiance's bridal shower though...

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1913388' date='Jul 7 2009, 06:42 AM']Thanks everyone for the feed back. I felt that your opinions validated my own so I spoke with the bride last night and I am going to go with plan B (a culinary themed shower). Having talked with her I think she was suggesting pampered chef because she thought it would be less work for me. Lucky for her I like to work hard. ^_^ Especially for fun stuff like this!

Thanks again![/quote]
That makes a little more sense, actually. But I'm glad you were able to convince her otherwise! I'm sure it'll be fun. :)

inunionwithrome

My sister's wedding is also in November. I am co- MOH with her best friend. But, I get to stand next to my sister! What we are planning on doing is throwing a Virtual Bride Shower where people can buy gift cards and send them. Or buy products and send them rather than throw one where she is. We are all like 1000 miles apart on the East Coast to the Mid-West. Especially with this economy, and people already get gifts for their wedding too. So isn't it expecting too much? I think so.