An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Question For The Girls

VoTeckam

CatherineM

When you are dealing with East Coast/West Coast, just remember that some stores on one coast aren't on the other. My mother sends me Walmart gift cards, and I can't use them here.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1914458' date='Jul 8 2009, 01:54 PM']When you are dealing with East Coast/West Coast, just remember that some stores on one coast aren't on the other. My mother sends me Walmart gift cards, and I can't use them here.[/quote]
That is a good point. Even just a few states away, stores are different.

I've found Amazon gift cards are pretty good for long-distance gifts.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1912757' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:30 PM']I realize I sound like a total snob there, but I spent a long time using awful kitchen stuff, and now have good stuff. It is like a whole new world has opened. If she likes to cook, good stuff will make a gigantic difference. And wedding guests want to support a new couple by preparing them well for the future. Good tools for the kitchen are a wonderful investment.[/quote]

Agreed...I am dying for a good Kitchen Aide.

I love to cook. Since I am still living at home, I am using what I have. I have bought a few utensils here and there (better measuring cups and a whisk, first one was bad the second one awesome) but I can't wait until I have my own kitchen. It is probably going to be one of my favorite rooms ^_^

[quote name='picchick' post='1914607' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:17 PM']Agreed...I am dying for a good Kitchen Aide.

I love to cook. Since I am still living at home, I am using what I have. I have bought a few utensils here and there (better measuring cups and a whisk, first one was bad the second one awesome) but I can't wait until I have my own kitchen. It is probably going to be one of my favorite rooms ^_^[/quote]
I :love: my kitchen. We're going to remodel a little in the next few months and I think I will :love: it even more.

I registered at Williams Sonoma for our wedding ... best decision I ever made. We are both older and had a lot of household stuff already, but I'd skimped on kitchen stuff because I didn't understand how much difference good utensils make. I did have a good knife set, though, which is essential.

CatherineM

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1914653' date='Jul 8 2009, 05:32 PM']I :love: my kitchen. We're going to remodel a little in the next few months and I think I will :love: it even more.

I registered at Williams Sonoma for our wedding ... best decision I ever made. We are both older and had a lot of household stuff already, but I'd skimped on kitchen stuff because I didn't understand how much difference good utensils make. I did have a good knife set, though, which is essential.[/quote]

We are going to remodel the kitchen next summer. Winter isn't such a good time to do any construction work around here, and we are waiting until after we pay the mortgage off in February. Not a total gut, but I'm going to re-stain the oak cabinets and put on new hardware, new faucet, and I'm going to do a mosaic back splash. I like doing Celtic knot patterns. I'm going to do granite tile on the counter top and put in a ground fault plug next to the sink. If I have enough left in my budget, I'd like to put in a microwave hood over the stove to get it off the counter, new track lighting, and new appliances. We have to get a new dishwasher because it is original, but I can make do with stove and fridge. Planning to do all the work myself. It's been awhile since I've done a whole kitchen, but I do back splashes about once a year to 6 months. We'll see how it goes.

Sacre Couer VHM

Definitely tacky. It reminds me of Tupperware parties... But, if anyone has any quarrel, you are just doing what the bride told you to do. I would do it. Think of what you would want her to do if she was your maid of honor and you requested something... :saint:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1914714' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:58 AM']We are going to remodel the kitchen next summer. Winter isn't such a good time to do any construction work around here, and we are waiting until after we pay the mortgage off in February. Not a total gut, but I'm going to re-stain the oak cabinets and put on new hardware, new faucet, and I'm going to do a mosaic back splash. I like doing Celtic knot patterns. I'm going to do granite tile on the counter top and put in a ground fault plug next to the sink. If I have enough left in my budget, I'd like to put in a microwave hood over the stove to get it off the counter, new track lighting, and new appliances. We have to get a new dishwasher because it is original, but I can make do with stove and fridge. Planning to do all the work myself. It's been awhile since I've done a whole kitchen, but I do back splashes about once a year to 6 months. We'll see how it goes.[/quote]

Oh, that sounds really cool.

Do you have pictures of your mosaics? I love those (and lucky me, our supermarket is next to a fancy tile shop with oft-changing displays).

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1914714' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:58 PM']We are going to remodel the kitchen next summer. Winter isn't such a good time to do any construction work around here, and we are waiting until after we pay the mortgage off in February. Not a total gut, but I'm going to re-stain the oak cabinets and put on new hardware, new faucet, and I'm going to do a mosaic back splash. I like doing Celtic knot patterns. I'm going to do granite tile on the counter top and put in a ground fault plug next to the sink. If I have enough left in my budget, I'd like to put in a microwave hood over the stove to get it off the counter, new track lighting, and new appliances. We have to get a new dishwasher because it is original, but I can make do with stove and fridge. Planning to do all the work myself. It's been awhile since I've done a whole kitchen, but I do back splashes about once a year to 6 months. We'll see how it goes.[/quote]
We're doing new countertops, a new sink/faucet, and new appliances. Maybe a little modification of the cabinets too (so we can fit in a bigger fridge) but nothing major. I also want to re-do the backsplash. It currently has this weird mauve-y color that is nowhere else in the house. I like the idea of doing a mosaic. I did that once on an ice cream table set, and it was really fun.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='picchick' post='1914607' date='Jul 8 2009, 07:17 PM']Agreed...I am dying for a good Kitchen Aid.[/quote]

Me, too. My mother in law has one and I'm so jealous. That thing is a beast. I got some nice stuff a wedding gifts, but the one thing I'd upgrade if I could is my stand mixer. I DO have one, but I didn't register for it so it's not what I would really like to own. With a KitchenAid you can do cookie dough, meatballs, bread dough, and so much more. My mixer isn't really up to the tougher stuff. <_<

CatherineM

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1914743' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:19 PM']Oh, that sounds really cool.

Do you have pictures of your mosaics? I love those (and lucky me, our supermarket is next to a fancy tile shop with oft-changing displays).[/quote]

Here's a picture of a table. I know I have pictures of some of my back splash work somewhere. I like using a gun metal gray grout to give it a stained glass window look.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2485/3679520609_9a75ae78a0.jpg[/img]

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1914803' date='Jul 8 2009, 08:04 PM']Me, too. My mother in law has one and I'm so jealous. That thing is a beast. I got some nice stuff a wedding gifts, but the one thing I'd upgrade if I could is my stand mixer. I DO have one, but I didn't register for it so it's not what I would really like to own. With a KitchenAid you can do cookie dough, meatballs, bread dough, and so much more. My mixer isn't really up to the tougher stuff. <_<[/quote]
I do cookie dough in mine regularly, and have done bread dough. I've never thought about doing meatballs though ... that is a great idea.

My mixer is my absolute favorite kitchen tool. It is definitely worth the extra cost. When we moved it, I carried it in specially by itself so it wouldn't get damaged.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1914824' date='Jul 8 2009, 08:21 PM']Here's a picture of a table. I know I have pictures of some of my back splash work somewhere. I like using a gun metal gray grout to give it a stained glass window look.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2485/3679520609_9a75ae78a0.jpg[/img][/quote]
That is really beautiful!

Gregoriana of Nyssa

I went to such a bridal shower years ago. It was different, but I never thought it was tacky.

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1912715' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:30 PM']So I have found myself in a particualrly tricky situation. I am my best friend's maid of honor for her wedding (set for November). She has mentioned in the past that she wants a Pampered Chef Bridal Shower. She even emailed me this morning to suggest the name of someone who hosts these parties. For those of you who are not familiar with pampered chef (I do not know if they have this itnernationally) these parties are usually hosted at someone's home and the hostess invites friends over to sit through a presentation, eat, and order the products used in the demonstration. In the case of a bridal shower, the bride registers for the gifts she like before hand and the guests order from that list at the party instead of bringing a gift to the shower.

Now tell me if I am crossing a line here... I find this all to be incredibly tacky. Unlike when a bride registers at a store, in this case, the guests will be given a narrow wish list and they will be forced to chose a gift in public. In a store you can look over what the bride has requested and pick something in your price range or even pick something besides what is listed.

Part of me feels like this is what she has asked for so I should honor it. Another part of me doesn't want to put the guests in a bad spot and be known as the MOH that throws tacky bridal showers.

Thoughts???[/quote]

inunionwithrome

That's why they make Visa Gift Cards now. Can be used anywhere. As with any gift card, only participating locations count! :)

[quote name='inunionwithrome' post='1915548' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:08 AM']That's why they make Visa Gift Cards now. Can be used anywhere. As with any gift card, only participating locations count! :)[/quote]
I got one of those. They're pretty great. You can use them anywhere that takes Visa, which is just about anywhere.