An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Bakers

picchick

[quote name='picchick' post='1915718' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:21 PM']Yeah! I didn't even see your posts!

I am always afraid to knead it too long. I am so scared of yeast. See, I didn't make bread for a long time. I made quick breads and cooked other things but never anything with yeast. I had too many mistakes where nothing happened. Now I am not killing it with the warm stuff being too hot/cold. I am now afraid that I will kill it by kneading it too much. Maybe in being afraid of too much I am not doing it enough.

How long should I knead it for usually?[/quote]

It depends on what kind of bread you're making. Unfortunately the only way to get the hang of it is trial and error. Try kneeding a little longer next time (paying special ettention to the elasticity in the dough... you'll need to remember what it feels like for next time) and see if the texture problem improves.

On the plus side... you ahve the hard part down if you like the flavor. Most people who make bread at home leave much to be desired in this department.

quote name='VoTeckam' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:55 PM' post='1915789']
It depends on what kind of bread you're making. Unfortunately the only way to get the hang of it is trial and error. Try kneeding a little longer next time (paying special ettention to the elasticity in the dough... you'll need to remember what it feels like for next time) and see if the texture problem improves.
[/quote]
Ok. I'll try this and let you all know next time. I don't really know what good bread is suppose to feel like so I will have to experiment. Do you have any analogy as to what it is suppose to feel like?
[quote]On the plus side... you ahve the hard part down if you like the flavor. Most people who make bread at home leave much to be desired in this department.[/quote]
:hehe:

This is like my cookies in my one video. I had such trouble with my chocolate chip cookies. They would be crispy flat things with awesome flavor but who wants that flavor if it looks like a semi ran over it?

It smells awesome and tastes awesome and looks awesome. I just need to work on the texture. Hopefully kneading it will get it better.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1915694' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:05 AM']My mom used to say, when in doubt add lard.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i love my mom's recipes that are from her mom. they all have lard in them :topsy:

[quote name='picchick' post='1915802' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:58 PM']Ok. I'll try this and let you all know next time. I don't really know what good bread is suppose to feel like so I will have to experiment. Do you have any analogy as to what it is suppose to feel like?

:hehe:

This is like my cookies in my one video. I had such trouble with my chocolate chip cookies. They would be crispy flat things with awesome flavor but who wants that flavor if it looks like a semi ran over it?

It smells awesome and tastes awesome and looks awesome. I just need to work on the texture. Hopefully kneading it will get it better.[/quote]

I've been lookingat my computer screen for a few minutes trying ot think of an analogy for the texture of a good bread dough but I can't think of anything that compares... I will keep working at it. I would just keep kneeding for another 2 minutes or so when you would ordinarily stop. If the under-kneeding is th problem that would be enough time to correct the problem. If not we still have a mystery on our hands.

I'm so excited about this thread beacuse I am addicted to baking. It's funny you mentioned your cookies because I just found a new recipe last night for AMAZING walnut chocolate chip cookies. I made them from a copy cat recipe of a famous bakery in NYC. Here is the link... they are really thick but super moist on the inside.

[url="http://lisamichele.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/my-much-talked-about-levain-bakery-copycat-cookie-recipes/"]http://lisamichele.wordpress.com/2008/05/2...cookie-recipes/[/url]

You can add a little more flour to just about any chocolate chip cookie recipe to make them more cakelike. The recipe I use most often calls for 2-1/4 c. flour and I usually use somewhere between 2-1/2 and 2-3/4.

Also to almost any recipe with chocolate in it (cookies, brownies, chocolate pie, etc.) I add a splash of Frangelico (hazelnut liquor).

Voteckam -- thanks for the blog link! I have been looking for a good baking blog. I have been reading [url="http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/"]Culinary Concoctions by Peabody[/url] for a while but she is not posting often. But she has some really great recipes I've tried; they're archived.

Another great baking cookbook (not a staple cookbook, but fun nonetheless, is [url="http://www.amazon.com/Baked-Frontiers-Baking-Matt-Lewis/dp/1584797215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247168179&sr=8-1"]Baked[/url]. The coffee cake recipe and the pumpkin whoopie cookies are fabulous.

Marie-Therese

Well, it sounds like some more competent bakers have replied here, but as an good old fashioned Southern cook, I'll chime in.

My first question has to do with the cornmeal. Without the benefit of the proportions, I wonder if the cornmeal was intended to add color (for the golden part) or if it is a substantial part of the dough. Also, you have butter in the list twice, so it is that you are supposed to cut the butter into the dough and then coat the top after the loaf is baked? This seems like a case where it is one of those recipes where it is really easy to overdo one thing or another.

Cornmeal tends to make things more crumbly and possibly brittle, as well as increasing density. Bread with cornmeal in it should use it with a very light hand.

Good luck with your bread! :)

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1915879' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:30 PM']I've been lookingat my computer screen for a few minutes trying ot think of an analogy for the texture of a good bread dough but I can't think of anything that compares... I will keep working at it. I would just keep kneeding for another 2 minutes or so when you would ordinarily stop. If the under-kneeding is th problem that would be enough time to correct the problem. If not we still have a mystery on our hands.[/quote]
between the two of us, we should be able to come up with something.
[quote]I'm so excited about this thread beacuse I am addicted to baking. It's funny you mentioned your cookies because I just found a new recipe last night for AMAZING walnut chocolate chip cookies. I made them from a copy cat recipe of a famous bakery in NYC. Here is the link... they are really thick but super moist on the inside.

[url="http://lisamichele.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/my-much-talked-about-levain-bakery-copycat-cookie-recipes/"]http://lisamichele.wordpress.com/2008/05/2...cookie-recipes/[/url][/quote]
This is becoming my favorite new thread here... :hehe:

IceyP gave me this rich awesome cookie recipe: [url="http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp"]http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp[/url]

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1915978' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:46 PM']Well, it sounds like some more competent bakers have replied here, but as an good old fashioned Southern cook, I'll chime in.

My first question has to do with the cornmeal. Without the benefit of the proportions, I wonder if the cornmeal was intended to add color (for the golden part) or if it is a substantial part of the dough. Also, you have butter in the list twice, so it is that you are supposed to cut the butter into the dough and then coat the top after the loaf is baked? This seems like a case where it is one of those recipes where it is really easy to overdo one thing or another.

Cornmeal tends to make things more crumbly and possibly brittle, as well as increasing density. Bread with cornmeal in it should use it with a very light hand.

Good luck with your bread! :)[/quote]

Thank :)
There was one cup of corn meal to I think 6-7 cups of reg. flour.

The second butter was to brush on the top of the bread. I didn't really do that. We all usually butter our own bread.

I am going to have to try some of the recipes here on the site now!

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='picchick' post='1915653' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:28 PM']...and I will listen to a cubs fan...right.
The problem with adding more liquidish stuff without knowing liquidish stuff to add. I'd screw it up.[/quote]

Then you know not to do that again.

Start with a little more milk... it's a pretty safe ingredient. I like to throw in an extra egg in recipes that call for them because eggs taste good.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1916003' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:12 PM']Then you know not to do that again.

Start with a little more milk... it's a pretty safe ingredient. I like to throw in an extra egg in recipes that call for them because eggs taste good.[/quote]

Is that why your cholesterol is sky high? tsk tsk...plus have you actually ever baked before or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

Edited by picchick

[quote name='picchick' post='1916010' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:20 PM']Is that why your cholesterol is sky high? tsk tsk...plus have you actually ever baked before or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last night?[/quote]
lol. As...for the problem with your cookies, were you adding a lot of butter to them? If not, try refrigerating the dough before you bake it. If yes, try reducing the butter a little and adding a little more flour. If you melted the butter before putting it in, make sure to refrigerate the cookies. :unsure:

And yea, as for the bread, try adding a little bit more fat or milk to it (like milk or lard).

When cooking it, take it out about 5 minutes or so before it supposed to be done, and leave it alone....Don't worry, it will continue to cook a bit. Try this with cookies, cakes and other things you bake as well (but don't take it out too far ahead of time, as you don't want to be mush!).

Edited by rachael

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='picchick' post='1916010' date='Jul 9 2009, 05:20 PM']Is that why your cholesterol is sky high? tsk tsk...plus have you actually ever baked before or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last night?[/quote]

I'm tempted to make a bad "yo momma" joke that would likely earn me a third warning.

And it is not "sky high." Just a tad high... only need to eat more veggies. And take garlic.

I make a darn good banana nut bread, but it doesn't require kneading.

P.S. The Army is not helping your bossy attitude. :dunce:

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1916063' date='Jul 9 2009, 05:21 PM']I'm tempted to make a bad "yo momma" joke that would likely earn me a third warning.

And it is not "sky high." Just a tad high... only need to eat more veggies. And take garlic.

I make a darn good banana nut bread, but it doesn't require kneading.

P.S. The Army is not helping your bossy attitude. :dunce:[/quote]

You know I am just teasing you :P

I didn't even know you had high cholesterol... :unsure:

oooh, this thread is so exciting! I'd have to concur with the others on adding more fat or kneading longer. When you knead the dough the texture changes, I think it's a silky texture you get eventually. It's very smooth and pliable, not rough like it starts out. Does that make sense?

My most recent baking project has been pitas - I've finally started getting them to poof and make pita pockets on a pretty regular basis. It's so exciting!! (and yummy of course!)

[quote name='morostheos' post='1916173' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:35 PM']My most recent baking project has been pitas - I've finally started getting them to poof and make pita pockets on a pretty regular basis. It's so exciting!! (and yummy of course!)[/quote]
do tell. :ninja:

[quote name='rachael' post='1916175' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:38 PM']do tell. :ninja:[/quote]

Well, making pitas in general is very easy, you just split the bread into small balls of dough before the second rise and then roll them out flat right before you bake them. They cook for 3-5 minutes each. I haven't exactly figured out what the secret of the poof is yet, but it seems to be happening more and more frequently. I think it might have to do with the pitas actually being round instead of funny lopsided shapes. :rolleyes: