An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Bakers

picchick

[quote name='morostheos' post='1916181' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:53 PM']Well, making pitas in general is very easy, you just split the bread into small balls of dough before the second rise and then roll them out flat right before you bake them. They cook for 3-5 minutes each. I haven't exactly figured out what the secret of the poof is yet, but it seems to be happening more and more frequently. I think it might have to do with the pitas actually being round instead of funny lopsided shapes. :rolleyes:[/quote]
i will have to try it sometime soon. ;)

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='picchick' post='1916001' date='Jul 9 2009, 05:10 PM']IceyP gave me this rich awesome cookie recipe: [url="http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp"]http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp[/url][/quote]

I have an adaption to this recipe, Meg, that totally rocks. Instead of putting in all the chocolate chips I add in craisins, a lesser amount of white/milk chocolate swirl chips, and some finely chopped walnuts (I don't like the big chunky pieces, but it adds a nice flavor). You may have to fiddle with it to get the right craisin to chip ratio. The last time I made it I added too many chips. Still good but not the craisiny flavor I'd been looking for.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1916192' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:22 PM']I have an adaption to this recipe, Meg, that totally rocks. Instead of putting in all the chocolate chips I add in craisins, a lesser amount of white/milk chocolate swirl chips, and some finely chopped walnuts (I don't like the big chunky pieces, but it adds a nice flavor). You may have to fiddle with it to get the right craisin to chip ratio. The last time I made it I added too many chips. Still good but not the craisiny flavor I'd been looking for.[/quote]
oooh....

my mom taught me something about craisin and raisins...
if you boil them with a bit of water and sugar before putting them into your cookie recipe, they'll plump up and taste a bit better. make sure to add the raisin/crasin water into the recipe! :P make sure to adjust the flour and such. :mellow:

Edited by rachael

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='rachael' post='1916193' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:26 PM']oooh....

my mom taught me something about craisin and raisins...
if you boil them with a bit of water and sugar before putting them into your cookie recipe, they'll plump up and taste a bit better. make sure to add the raisin/crasin water into the recipe! :P make sure to adjust the flour and such. :mellow:[/quote]

I'll have to try that next time. :drool: I'm not too worried about the sweetness, but I think I'd looove the plump/juicier part.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1916195' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:29 PM']I'll have to try that next time. :drool: I'm not too worried about the sweetness, but I think I'd looove the plump/juicier part.[/quote]
it's not bad. i always add cinnamon to it too. ;)

Edited by rachael

takebacktonight

I have found that my bread has gotten substantially better now that I have my kitchenaid mixer....98% sure I wasn't kneading enough when I did it by hand. (it's probably a cardinal sin to use a mixer but it's good enough for me!)

I find the king arthur flour recipes are awesome and always turn out. www.thefreshloaf.com is a good site to visit too.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='takebacktonight' post='1916215' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:50 PM']I have found that my bread has gotten substantially better now that I have my kitchenaid mixer....98% sure I wasn't kneading enough when I did it by hand. (it's probably a cardinal sin to use a mixer but it's good enough for me!)

I find the king arthur flour recipes are awesome and always turn out. www.thefreshloaf.com is a good site to visit too.[/quote]

My mother in law uses her KitchenAid to knead her bread, too. I really want one. I just need to convince my husband that I need it...