An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama's Science Czar's Views On Forced Abortions!

Lil Red

[quote name='philothea' post='1919097' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:16 PM']I really don't think we're in any danger of enforced population control.[/quote]
I am sure that many Germans held a similar viewpoint in the late 1920s.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='philothea' post='1919223' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:46 PM']How is he in power to act on them? He's an adviser to the President. He can, potentially, influence leadership direction and policy decisions ...[/quote]

You answered part of your own question. And as Knight just said, too, the problem with the creation of all these "czars" is that these are people who are able to actually create new policy, or can interpret existing law as they see fit; and then these czars have the power to enforce that policy in the name of the Federal State.

This concept of executive branch czars is something that totally circumvents legislative process, checks and balances, and really the US Constitution. They are subject to zero oversight, and answer only to the President -- aka "Dear Leader." This is why some Democrats,[url="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/19303.html"] like Senator Byrd[/url], have openly decried the current President as being everything they disliked about the Bush administration, but worse.

Edited by Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1919793' date='Jul 14 2009, 02:12 PM']I am sure that many Germans held a similar viewpoint in the late 1920s.[/quote]

Well then that must mean that we're in similar danger now.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1919233' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:56 PM']But as a Czar, he does have special powers to influence enforcement of law by the executive branch.[/quote]

Yes, in energy policy.

Exactly which laws within his domain is he going to "influence the enforcement of" in order to bring about forced sterilization ad abortions?

[quote name='philothea' post='1919223' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:46 PM']How is he in power to act on them? He's an adviser to the President. He can, potentially, influence leadership direction and policy decisions, but he can't pass laws or even introduce legislature. He could outright insist on population control and mandatory abortions, and it would go exactly nowhere (except him losing his adviser position immediately).

I'm not saying he's a good guy, or even a decent human being, but he wasn't appointed for those antiquated population control views. Rather it was for his more recent work in climate change and energy, which [i]is[/i] a pressing current issue.[/quote]

ah, sweet common sense. A rare but beautiful thing at times.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1919831' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:30 PM']ah, sweet common sense. A rare but beautiful thing at times.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:annoyed: :getaclue:

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Hassan' post='1919828' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:28 PM']Yes, in energy policy.

Exactly which laws within his domain is he going to "influence the enforcement of" in order to bring about forced sterilization ad abortions?[/quote]

We are talking about the "Science Czar" who technically works with the Office of Science and Technology Policy. Not to be confused with the "Energy Czar" who works with the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change. Or any of the other dozens of czars who are extending the arm of the Federal State into each and every street and home.

According the the wikipedia, the Office of Science and Technology Policy has "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Science_and_Technology_Policy"]a broad mandate to advise the President on the effects of science and technology on domestic and international affairs[/url]." That kinda' sounds like it could mean whatever the Federal State wants it to mean, doesn't it? Like, birth and population control?

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919847' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:36 PM']Can these Czars make policy without it having to go through the legislative process?[/quote]

Yes, if it has to do with their department -- which have rather broad statements of purpose. Czars aren't subject to Congressional oversight like a Cabinet-level official is.

Lounge Daddy

The other complain that members of Congress have about czars is that they carry so much weight and power, but yet do not go through a confirmation process overseen by elected officials. Zero oversight zero confirmation, no checks and balances.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1919884' date='Jul 14 2009, 02:49 PM']The other complain that members of Congress have about czars is that they carry so much weight and power, but yet do not go through a confirmation process overseen by elected officials. Zero oversight zero confirmation, no checks and balances.[/quote]

Now I know why they call them Czars.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919602' date='Jul 14 2009, 11:59 AM']They did forced sterilizations in Alberta until the late 50's. They are still paying some lawsuits over it.[/quote]
That's probably Nellie McClung's fault, isn't it?
[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919888' date='Jul 14 2009, 02:52 PM']Now I know why they call them Czars.[/quote]
Czars have been overthrown before..... :saint:

I... really hope I'm not sounding snotty, but... do you guys know what policy [i]is[/i]?

In a political context, it's the strategy that the president will choose to try to enact his agenda. So if a czar (or whomever) decides to enact "policy" it affects what [i]they[/i] will do -- not what [i]we[/i] will do.

They might do things like promotional campaigns. Speeches. Research. Etc.

Considering that most first world nations are concerned about falling population rates, I don't see population control is an issue at all anymore, and very unlikely one that is worth wasting political capital on.