An Old School Catholic Message Board

Operating System

Lounge Daddy

I am a smooth operator, and I use  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='scardella' post='1920554' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:56 AM']Yup. Mac user here.
Also use windows at work and Linux once in a while.[/quote]

I've never used any mac os since the early 80s. lol
Tell me, why do you tend to use mac over Linux?

loveletslive

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1920544' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:27 AM']I've switched allegiances.[/quote]

me too :) i switched a few weeks ago.

kenrockthefirst

I recently partitioned the hard drive on my Dell laptop and added Ubuntu. I was fed up with waiting for Windows XP to boot. If I need to (only) do anything Web-related, I fire up Ubuntu. I clocked power on to browser launch - Firefox, natch - at just over a minute.

Unfortunately, for certain apps, e.g. iTunes, I must still use Windows.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1920559' date='Jul 15 2009, 12:19 PM']I've never used any mac os since the early 80s. lol
Tell me, why do you tend to use mac over Linux?[/quote]

I find OS X to provide the most polished and stable experience... there are bugs and some things I don't like (such as creating a screen print, which is so much easier in Windows it's not even funny), but overall it's cleaner and more efficient. I don't have to work through lots of menus to find a program and everything like iTunes and the DVD player are integrated so well.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1920579' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:07 PM']I recently partitioned the hard drive on my Dell laptop and added Ubuntu. I was fed up with waiting for Windows XP to boot. If I need to (only) do anything Web-related, I fire up Ubuntu. I clocked power on to browser launch - Firefox, natch - at just over a minute.

Unfortunately, for certain apps, e.g. iTunes, I must still use Windows.[/quote]

When I had XP on my old Dell, I would log off my account (to the login screen, using the option that leaves your programs open while you're logged off) and then put the system to sleep. That would ensure XP wouldn't freeze or lose its wireless connection while waking up, and it only took a few seconds after logging in to be back in action.

Of course, in OS X, all I do is close the lid... open the lid... only thing I wait for is the light to start fading off and on before moving it around (since it's writing to the hard drive until then).

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1920559' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:19 AM']I've never used any mac os since the early 80s. lol
Tell me, why do you tend to use mac over Linux?[/quote]

Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix... I haven't had Mac OS crash (save for hardware failure) in over a year. I don't have to fight configuration files or hardware that has drivers that half-work. (Wifi and suspend/restore, I'm looking at you.) I can run commercial apps if I desire. The software has a consistent look and feel. I get my music legally via iTunes. I can use Netflix streaming. If I need to get to my work computer, I can vpn into my work (which took 5 minutes to set up) and remote desktop into my laptop at work (which took 2 minutes after I remembered out my laptop's dns name). I set up my computer at home to be an ssh server and a vnc server in 2 minutes. It backs up every hour for the past day, every day for the past week and every week until the space runs out on my backup drive. Then it's a rolling backup window.

It's just plain elegant and useful. The only glitchy thing I've found has been audio output from browsers. And I think that's an Adobe Flash issue...

Edited by scardella

franciscanheart

[quote name='rachael' post='1920576' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:46 AM']can there be a choice for both? :unsure:[/quote]
it asked which you prefer, not which you use. ;)

Primarily use OS X nowadays. Much easier and more elegant. Also runs [url="http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html"]the best novel writing software in the world[/url].

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1920641' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:04 PM']it asked which you prefer, not which you use. ;)[/quote]
i know :unsure: