An Old School Catholic Message Board

Operating System

Lounge Daddy

I am a smooth operator, and I use  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1920948' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:51 PM']That's a large part of the reason OS X is more reliable: Apple only needs to concern themselves with the few hardware configurations they offer, and they don't license their OS to third-party manufacturers like Microsoft did. So you end up with a higher-quality experience, but there are some limitations like a higher initial price and fewer choices (i.e. Apple doesn't offer a tablet PC; iTouch/iPhone are as close as it gets).

Also, part of the appeal of Macs is they are designed so that hardware and software are one unified experience, hence OS X is only available on Mac hardware. iTunes is a significant exception... of course, with so many people using Windows, Apple needed to make a Windows version of iTunes in order to build up their customer base.[/quote]

So... I had heard that some people are cracking OS X onto netbooks. This would seem to be a real chore if the os isn't mean for more limited use on only particular pieces of hardware.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1920974' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:03 PM']What kind of novel are you writing?[/quote]
An overly complex science fiction novel. It's finished. Final draft tweaking underway :)

Thanks for asking! Made my day. ^_^ (It was a bad day.)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Winchester' post='1921527' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:40 AM']Can't afford a Mac.[/quote]

[url="http://www.lowendmac.com/deals.shtml"]Buy used[/url]. There's a MacBook [url="http://www.lowendmac.com/deals/best-macbook-prices.html"]here[/url] with an early version of Intel's dual processor chip for $595. iBooks can be had for about $300. If you're not using Hulu.com or much graphic-intensive work, a 3-5 year old system can work just fine.

My MacBook and any iPod I've bought directly from Apple was from their Refurbished store. You get the same 1-year warranty as a new product, they look and are packaged just like a new product, but you pay 20-25% less than the new product. Best way to go, IMO.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='scardella' post='1921517' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:17 AM']Have you tried virtualbox? I've had great luck with it. The only thing better that I've found has been VMWare... which costs money.[/quote]

I've used it... never figured out how to create shared folders between OS X and XP or Ubuntu. I haven't taken the time to read up on it either... running Windows on my Mac is more a curiousity/something to play around with than something I need. But it would be nice to have.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1921679' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:18 PM']So... I had heard that some people are cracking OS X onto netbooks. This would seem to be a real chore if the os isn't mean for more limited use on only particular pieces of hardware.[/quote]

Yeah, it's possible, but it is a chore. It takes some tweaking and probably downloading drivers that aren't on OS X by default. It's also illegal (breaks the OS X license agreement) and every time there's an update to OS X you're likely to require more tweaking.

Another problem is Microsoft and Mac keyboards are different, which goes back to how Apple designs hardware and software together as an integrated unit. One shouldn't separate the soul from the body ;)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='philothea' post='1921734' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:49 PM']An overly complex science fiction novel. It's finished. Final draft tweaking underway :)

Thanks for asking! Made my day. ^_^ (It was a bad day.)[/quote]
So when are the autographed copies to be available???

inunionwithrome

I love the Mac! But we had to go with an e-machine this time which has Vista. So I am having to learn a lot about this computer! Yikes!

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1922658' date='Jul 17 2009, 09:09 AM']I've used it... never figured out how to create shared folders between OS X and XP or Ubuntu. I haven't taken the time to read up on it either... running Windows on my Mac is more a curiousity/something to play around with than something I need. But it would be nice to have.[/quote]

It has a whole shared folder section in the machine settings.

[quote]Yeah, it's possible, but it is a chore. It takes some tweaking and probably downloading drivers that aren't on OS X by default. It's also illegal (breaks the OS X license agreement) and every time there's an update to OS X you're likely to require more tweaking.

Another problem is Microsoft and Mac keyboards are different, which goes back to how Apple designs hardware and software together as an integrated unit. One shouldn't separate the soul from the body ;)[/quote]

And here I use a Mac keyboard on my PC at work... My work laptop's keyboard is a little... vertical.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1922662' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:17 AM']So when are the autographed copies to be available???[/quote]
:flowers:

Trust me, I'll let you ALL KNOW. :sweat:

I break just about everything I thuch. In fact, I crashed a workers PC yesterday...(it was also 7 years old and still running on Windows 2000 and had never been defragged, etc).

I have never crashed any Mac. :idontknow:

Edited by rachael

princessgianna

There must be light where you are then-lucky! <_< all I can see darkness.

Edited by princessgianna

princessgianna

I have this thing about light pollution. :idea:

Not to mention even if the lights outside were on..all the birdies are hiding.

Anyway I am the computor right now. Good stuff~ Always worked for me.