An Old School Catholic Message Board

Operating System

Lounge Daddy

I am a smooth operator, and I use  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1920641' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:04 PM']it asked which you prefer, not which you use. ;)[/quote]
Actually the call of the question is:

[quote]I am a smooth operator, and I use
(select preferred o.s.)[/quote]

so it could go either way.
:mellow:

I use and prefer Windows. People talk all the time about how great Macs are, but the percentage of Macs out there in business situations is still relatively small. Industry standard is, by and large, Windows. I get that Mac is awesome, but I have no problems with navigating Windows efficiently because I am used to it. I can play movies, listen to music, set up multiple screens, modify my system, and so on, all with relative ease. I have had no problems with my system crashing, either, except for a short time when I had bad hardware -- so not a Windows issue.

My cool friends who have Macs -- even newer models -- have frequently complained of compatibility issues, crashes, and other problems. And, there is some software that is still not available for Mac. Our exam software for the bar, for example, is PC-only. On exam day, I get to use the computer I use every day. My Mac-loving friends have had to scrounge up PCs and orient themselves to how the operating system works.

My laptop is a macbook. I prefer to use it over windows. I typically have bad luck with electronics, but my laptop and my two ipods have never given me trouble.

As far as compatibility issues, yes, there are some. I cannot use most projectors without a special adapter. I can't play a lot of games that require software. For me, though, neither of those were a huge deal. I'm going to buy the adapter soon and I don't play games anyway. I bought office for mac and I love it. It is a lot more easy for me to navigate than the windows counterpart and it's just as compatible (sometimes more).

franciscanheart

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1920693' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:32 PM']so it could go either way.
:mellow:[/quote]
it says to choose which you prefer. :mellow:

i USE both. i PREFER mac. :saint:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1920711' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:52 PM']it says to choose which you prefer. :mellow:

i USE both. i PREFER mac. :saint:[/quote]
:rolleyes:

whatever

BTW, from a Mac, if I want to run Windows or Linux, I can just fire up a virtual machine and run them in a VM. You could do the same with a windows or linux host, but you cannot run Mac OS X in a VM. (At least AFAIK)

You could also run them in a triple-boot environment if you desire.

Frankly, I intend on having a Linux file server (where it shines) once I get a house in addition to the Mac Mini... It'll have plenty of storage space for my wife and my DVD collection.

House plans - Phase:
0. Bring in Mac Mini, stereo, 24" widescreen monitor, xbox 360, cable modem, router/switch/wireless and cable box all connected together. Same setup as apartment.
1. A coworker has a full-size server rack that he'll give me for free. I'll just have to arrange to pick it up. I'll get a rack-mounted 24 port gigabit ethernet switch, and run ethernet throughout the house.
3. Get HDTV for TV/movies and remote/wireless keyboard/mouse for Mac Mini. Mac Mini stays w/ HDTV. XBox, monitor go to other room. Use cheapo speakers for Xbox
4. Get whiz-bang stereo. Other stereo goes down w/ Xbox.
5. Pull bucket seat from junkyard. Clean. Fabricate racing cockpit for Xbox w/ wheels, pedals, monitor and seat.
6. Put together Linux file server. Archive DVD collection so it can be played on any computer in the house.
7. Start all over with Blu-ray?

I've used various Unix flavors for nine years, including several flavors of BSD and Linux. I'm currently running Ubuntu on my laptop. It's not my favorite distro (honestly, I quite liked Gentoo, though it just became too much of a headache to maintain), but it works mostly out of the box.

Also, I just recently managed to get a Windows install within Linux using QEmu and KVM. It gives you a Linux window that the entire Windows OS runs inside. Very nice for compatibility purposes if I need it (like watching movies instantly on Netflix).

[quote name='scardella' post='1920809' date='Jul 15 2009, 03:05 PM']BTW, from a Mac, if I want to run Windows or Linux, I can just fire up a virtual machine and run them in a VM. You could do the same with a windows or linux host, but you cannot run Mac OS X in a VM. (At least AFAIK)[/quote]

I believe that is correct also. From what I read in the past though is that it is strictly due to a licensing limitation which states that a Mac OS has to be run on Mac hardware. That really smells of elderberries for me though because I'd like to use a Mac sometimes for a couple things that I can't do on the other OS's, and a VM solution would be a lot simpler than buying a Mac just for them.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='nLEyETn' post='1920881' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:11 PM']I believe that is correct also. From what I read in the past though is that it is strictly due to a licensing limitation which states that a Mac OS has to be run on Mac hardware. That really smells of elderberries for me though because I'd like to use a Mac sometimes for a couple things that I can't do on the other OS's, and a VM solution would be a lot simpler than buying a Mac just for them.[/quote]

That's a large part of the reason OS X is more reliable: Apple only needs to concern themselves with the few hardware configurations they offer, and they don't license their OS to third-party manufacturers like Microsoft did. So you end up with a higher-quality experience, but there are some limitations like a higher initial price and fewer choices (i.e. Apple doesn't offer a tablet PC; iTouch/iPhone are as close as it gets).

Also, part of the appeal of Macs is they are designed so that hardware and software are one unified experience, hence OS X is only available on Mac hardware. iTunes is a significant exception... of course, with so many people using Windows, Apple needed to make a Windows version of iTunes in order to build up their customer base.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='scardella' post='1920604' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:49 PM']Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix... I haven't had Mac OS crash (save for hardware failure) in over a year.[/quote]

Well, my experience has not been that good. Only a month or two after buying my MacBook, the Apple Store had to reinstall OS X. Granted, the way OS X is designed, it's pretty easy to reinstall the system files because they're kept separate from personal files. And there is a repeated glitch with the Dock... one in a while, it needs to be reset. Sometimes programs crash too... and I had to power off the computer one time while talking on Skype because everything froze. So it's definitely not problem-free... but I do like it the best overall.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='philothea' post='1920644' date='Jul 15 2009, 03:05 PM']Primarily use OS X nowadays. Much easier and more elegant. Also runs [url="http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html"]the best novel writing software in the world[/url].[/quote]

What kind of novel are you writing?

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1920835' date='Jul 15 2009, 03:31 PM']I've used various Unix flavors for nine years, including several flavors of BSD and Linux. I'm currently running Ubuntu on my laptop. It's not my favorite distro (honestly, I quite liked Gentoo, though it just became too much of a headache to maintain), but it works mostly out of the box.

Also, I just recently managed to get a Windows install within Linux using QEmu and KVM. It gives you a Linux window that the entire Windows OS runs inside. Very nice for compatibility purposes if I need it (like watching movies instantly on Netflix).[/quote]

I imagine it's hard to use Ubuntu after you worked with Gentoo so I thought I'd give you another option if you haven't already checked it out. [url="http://www.archlinux.org"]Arch[/url]. I used to be a Gentoo user also and I did like it, but sometimes it could be a pain when it had problems with portage. Arch is similar to Gentoo but it's package system is binary based rather than source based. That makes it very quick and easy to update; though you still can compile packages from source if you want to. You can see a little comparison here: [url="http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_vs_Others#Arch_vs_Gentoo"]Arch vs Gentoo[/url]

I was using Ubuntu for a little while right before finding Arch, and although it had it's benefits, it really wasn't what I wanted from a distro.

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1920835' date='Jul 15 2009, 04:31 PM']I've used various Unix flavors for nine years, including several flavors of BSD and Linux. I'm currently running Ubuntu on my laptop. It's not my favorite distro (honestly, I quite liked Gentoo, though it just became too much of a headache to maintain), but it works mostly out of the box.

Also, I just recently managed to get a Windows install within Linux using QEmu and KVM. It gives you a Linux window that the entire Windows OS runs inside. Very nice for compatibility purposes if I need it (like watching movies instantly on Netflix).[/quote]

Have you tried virtualbox? I've had great luck with it. The only thing better that I've found has been VMWare... which costs money.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1920974' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:03 PM']What kind of novel are you writing?[/quote]
It's like Catcher in the Rye, but with vampires, wizards and a kid that rides a dragon.

And there's a moral.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Winchester' post='1921528' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:42 AM']It's like Catcher in the Rye, but with vampires, wizards and a kid that rides a dragon.

And there's a moral.[/quote]

That reminds me, I need to go pick up a copy of [url="http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347"][i]Pride and Prejudice and Zombies[/i][/url].