An Old School Catholic Message Board

Speaking In Tongues

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Okay gentlemen this thread wasn't created to bicker back and forth about the charismatic movement or the traditionalist movement.

Yay! another speaking in tongues thread! :mellow:

As is the case with anything that draws attention, some of expressions of tongues are genuine, some is hysterical or faked. I can't say that I've known it to be demonic, though. I can testify too that being slain in the spirit has similar effects. Some of it is effected by God, some is a conscious submission by the person to God, some is faked for effect. Once again, I can't say it's demonic.

Oh, and to bring it all into one thread of awesomeness: Praise and Worship music is liturgically appropriate for Mass. As is Gregorian Chant. Discuss.

[quote name='scardella' post='1929367' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:09 AM']Oh, and to bring it all into one thread of awesomeness: Praise and Worship music is liturgically appropriate for Mass. As is Gregorian Chant. Discuss.[/quote]

With the Popes, I feel that chant and polyphony are the two types of music best suited for the liturgy.

I feel that some music from the Classical period is also appropriate for the liturgy.

I do not feel that the music generally termed "Praise and Worship" is appropriate for use in the Catholic liturgy.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='scardella' post='1929367' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:09 AM']Oh, and to bring it all into one thread of awesomeness: Praise and Worship music is liturgically appropriate for Mass. As is Gregorian Chant. Discuss.[/quote]

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929371' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:15 AM']With the Popes, I feel that chant and polyphony are the two types of music best suited for the liturgy.

I feel that some music from the Classical period is also appropriate for the liturgy.

I do not feel that the music generally termed "Praise and Worship" is appropriate for use in the Catholic liturgy.[/quote]

That's a completely different topic than the one the original poster is asking about. Make a different thread.

[quote name='StColette' post='1929384' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:42 AM']That's a completely different topic than the one the original poster is asking about. Make a different thread.[/quote]

I know, it's just been discussed and disagreed upon a bazillion times already. It's boring now.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929348' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:52 AM']Whether you are or are not, I am just glad that the Pope is.[/quote]

I believe the Pope is, by definition, a fan of Catholicism. He is a fan of the Novus Ordo and the Tridentine Rite. He wants the strengths of both forms to build up the other. He does not want radical traditionalism, which is what I'm referring to with the apparent oxymoron "modern traditionalism."

[quote name='scardella' post='1929367' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:09 AM']Yay! another speaking in tongues thread! :mellow:[/quote]

Quit yo' jibba jabba!

[quote name='scardella' post='1929367' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:09 AM']Oh, and to bring it all into one thread of awesomeness: Praise and Worship music is liturgically appropriate for Mass. As is Gregorian Chant. Discuss.[/quote]

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929371' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:15 AM']I do not feel that the music generally termed "Praise and Worship" is appropriate for use in the Catholic liturgy.[/quote]

How about Gregorian chant of P&W lyrics? Hmm....

After all, some P&W is straight out of Psalms anyway.

[quote name='scardella' post='1929425' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:47 AM']I know, it's just been discussed and disagreed upon a bazillion times already. It's boring now.[/quote]

Usually topics that have been discussed and disagreed upon that many times here on PM should probably be avoided. lol

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1929539' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:41 AM']How about Gregorian chant of P&W lyrics? Hmm....

After all, some P&W is straight out of Psalms anyway.[/quote]+J.M.J.+
i challenge someone to do that and youtube it. :mellow:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1929581' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:13 PM']+J.M.J.+
i challenge someone to do that and youtube it. :mellow:[/quote]

I'd suggest "Your Love Oh Lord" by Third Day.

[quote name='StColette' post='1929575' date='Jul 23 2009, 01:10 PM']Usually topics that have been discussed and disagreed upon that many times here on PM should probably be avoided. lol[/quote]

That's why I try to avoid talking about the death penalty.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1929634' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:12 PM']That's why I try to avoid talking about the death penalty.[/quote]
I haven't seen one of those debates lately... but I don't know that I want to. :P

Proud2BCatholic139

I'd talk about this thread to a priest you trust and ask for his input or seek about this from the Cathecism of the Catholic Church. Cardinal Ratzinger wrote the vast majority of it now he is Pope.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1929581' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:13 PM']+J.M.J.+
i challenge someone to do that and youtube it. :mellow:[/quote]

I'm no musician, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. P&W has a light-and-fluffy reputation, but that just shows how much people actually look into things. There are some deep and thought-provoking lyrics in the genre.

Besides, didn't we all learn in kindergarten how to be creative [i]and[/i] color within the lines?

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1929539' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:41 PM']How about Gregorian chant of P&W lyrics? Hmm....

After all, some P&W is straight out of Psalms anyway.[/quote]

The Roman Rite already has a Gregorian chant setting of the psalms. It's called the [i]Graduale Romanum[/i].

Edited by Resurrexi