An Old School Catholic Message Board

Speaking In Tongues

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

There are lots of different chant tones for the psalms. Just depends which religious community you chant the office with.... ;)

But, as for the original post, all of the above is possible. Reasonable approaches to spirituality focus on growth in holiness and obedience to God. If you aren't finding that in the charismatic movement, then seek elsewhere. Simply because the experience was empty or meaningless for you does not make it a sham or 'of the devil'. Not everything in the Church is for everyone. You can be a perfectly good Catholic and not believe that Mary appeared at Fatima. You're not supposed to condemn others for believing it, though.

It's okay to say 'no thanks' to the charismatics and move on. But if the reason it makes you uncomfortable is that you don't like being that vulnerable or open to God...then maybe there are other issues to address. Discernment turns the light inwards as well as outwards, keep in mind.

[quote name='StColette' post='1929384' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:42 AM']That's a completely different topic than the one the original poster is asking about. Make a different thread.[/quote]
He just goes for the bait. :mellow:

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

By authority i thought you meant the authority of the church such as the catechism....Maybe the "gift" of praying in tongues is to lead people to contemplation. And St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa would actually instruct us to deny these manefestations, if they bring no peace to the soul, as would St. Ignatius. So its not fatal to deny these manifestations, its actually prudent. St.John says to deny visions of Jesus and Mary even. Jesus will accert himself in such away you will grow to know whether its of God or not. St. Maria Faustina also would believe it was the devil then she would come to know it was Jesus. God is pleased with this discernment not offended. It is no sin to say it could be the Devil.

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' post='1929851' date='Jul 23 2009, 07:07 PM']By authority i thought you meant the authority of the church such as the catechism....Maybe the "gift" of praying in tongues is to lead people to contemplation. And St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa would actually instruct us to deny these manefestations, if they bring no peace to the soul, as would St. Ignatius. So its not fatal to deny these manifestations, its actually prudent. St.John says to deny visions of Jesus and Mary even. Jesus will accert himself in such away you will grow to know whether its of God or not. St. Maria Faustina also would believe it was the devil then she would come to know it was Jesus. God is pleased with this discernment not offended. It is no sin to say it could be the Devil.[/quote]

Charismatic gifts have led people to contemplative prayer. I've been to a charismatic conference on contemplation---it was called 'charismystics".

Discernment is a good thing... St. Paul advises "test everything hold fast to what is good". And spiritual writers offer wonderful guidelines on doing this. It is also worth noting that the devil mimics and counterfeits[i] authentic spiritual experiences [/i]in order to confuse us about them.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929739' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:09 PM']The Roman Rite already has a Gregorian chant setting of the psalms. It's called the [i]Graduale Romanum[/i].[/quote]

Doesn't mean new settings cannot be written. A parish might want a setting that reflects something unique about their community, history, or ethnic background, just to throw a possible reason out there. We can be creative in our worship and promote proper liturgical practices; that these two goals are usually found exclusive of each other only shows how lacking we are in creativity and love for the Mass.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1929348' date='Jul 23 2009, 08:52 AM']Whether you are or are not, I am just glad that the Pope is.[/quote]

+

! HILARIOUS! :-D

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1929672' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:56 PM']Rarely are there any new debates here. Very rarely...[/quote]

+

But, maybe there are new PEOPLE! So, maybe we should let them participate in an honest discussion instead of a bunch of poo-pooers (no, I don't have any idea how to spell that :) ).

loveletslive

i have a good friend who is a very orthodox seminarian and he has both spoken in tongues and been slain the the spirit. when he was slain in the spirit he didn't like collapse and start writhing or anything freaky. he was praying while kneeling and the spirit overcame him and he fell back. i can't remember how he described speaking in tongues. i was *very* skeptical about both of those things but it was legit :)

loveletslive

[quote name='relientfoot08' post='1929358' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:59 AM']I have always heard about people speaking in tongues and convulsing during adoration in Stubenville, but never have seen it. I don't really understand it. What exactly happens? Do the people know they are doing it? Is it the Holy Spirit speaking through them?[/quote]

i saw some crazy stuff at steubie last year. people screaming, laughing their heads off, and convulsing so bad they had to be carried out in a wheelchair. a lot of the more dramatic things i was rather skeptical of :\