An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama Nominee: Animals Can Sue People

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

Obama nominee: Animals can sue people
Jim Brown - OneNewsNow - 7/22/2009 2:45:00 PM
A consumer-freedom group says President Obama's nominee for "regulatory czar" is an "animal-rights zealot" who may make life difficult for hunters and meat-eaters.

Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) has placed a hold on the nomination of legal scholar Cass Sunstein to head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Budget and Management. Cornyn is worried that the Harvard professor may push an aggressive animal-rights agenda in the White House. Sunstein has argued in favor of outlawing sport hunting and meat-eating, and written that animals should be allowed to file lawsuits "with human beings as their representatives."

David Martosko with the Center for Consumer Freedom shares Cornyn's concern.

"If Cass Sunstein is ultimately confirmed to be the regulatory czar, having an animal-rights zealot in that position for the first time could be problematic for Americans who love to hunt, who like seeing circuses, [who like] having animals, who like taking their kids to the zoo, who like feeding their children meat and milk at lunch time," he warns.

"This is a guy who I would think will use every means at his disposal to push the radical animal-rights agenda."

According to Martosko, Sunstein may one day be appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court -- so Senators Cornyn and Saxby Chambliss (R-Georgia) have both placed holds on Sunstein's nomination because they want the constitutional lawyer on the record now so that if he does something different they will be able to use it against him in a future confirmation hearing.

Marie-Therese

That's IT.

I have had it! :madrant:

We are governed by imbeciles!!!!!!! Are these people SERIOUS?????????

I love my dog. I think animal abusers should be punished. I also eat meat. If I get a lawsuit filed against me by a cow, then I am defecting.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1930352' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:22 PM']If the unborn could have standing to sue, then I'd be impressed.[/quote]

I wonder if that would go for unborn animals? <_<

InHisLove726

Gee whiz.... I'm all for animal rights and preventing animal cruelty (I am a former vegetarian), but some people take the animal rights thing WAY too far! Animals cannot talk, so how they will be able to sue people is beyond me... :wacko:

This is coming from a guy who agrees with Peter Singer.....aka the professor who thinks infanticide is okay and should be done until 2 years of age if the parent doesn't want it. Think: abortion for 2 year olds.

It literally makes me sick. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/ip.boardpr/folder_post_icons/icon8.gif[/img]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1930246' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:29 PM']That's IT.

I love my dog. I think animal abusers should be punished. I also eat meat. If I get a lawsuit filed against me by a cow, then I am defecting.[/quote]

But I'm confused... If a cow has a right to sue for being eaten, doesn't s/he have to have been wronged (ie eaten) in order to make a claim against the eater? Wouldn't that be too late? A cow that has not been eaten can not sue for having been eaten.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1930468' date='Jul 24 2009, 05:34 AM']Gee whiz.... I'm all for animal rights and preventing animal cruelty (I am a former vegetarian), but some people take the animal rights thing WAY too far! Animals cannot talk, so how they will be able to sue people is beyond me... :wacko:[/quote]

Animals don't have "rights" any more than plants do. (yeah, I know... that's next...) We have an obligation to animals but they are not endowed with any "rights." The founding fathers would just shake their heads in wonder of our stupidity.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1930246' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:29 PM']That's IT.

I love my dog. I think animal abusers should be punished. I also eat meat. If I get a lawsuit filed against me by a cow, then I am defecting.[/quote]

I'll meet you in Alaska.

We'll take over, and start from scratch.

Bring as many cows as you want.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1930488' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:25 AM']But I'm confused... If a cow has a right to sue for being eaten, doesn't s/he have to have been wronged (ie eaten) in order to make a claim against the eater? Wouldn't that be too late? A cow that has not been eaten can not sue for having been eaten.

[snip][/quote]

I believe the charge would be murder 1, and the cow's caretaker will be able to sue under wrongful death.

Edited by Didacus

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Didacus' post='1930491' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:32 AM']I believe the cahrge would be murder 1, and the cow's caretaker will be able to sue under wrongful death.[/quote]
Wouldn't the cow's caretaker have been the one that lead him to the slaughterhouse?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1930493' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:35 AM']Wouldn't the cow's caretaker have been the one that lead him to the slaughterhouse?[/quote]

In that case, the caretaker would be complicit in the murder, and the cow's children (or husband?) would be the ones to file for wrongful death.