An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama Nominee: Animals Can Sue People

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1930488' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:25 AM']Animals don't have "rights" any more than plants do. (yeah, I know... that's next...) We have an obligation to animals but they are not endowed with any "rights." The founding fathers would just shake their heads in wonder of our stupidity.[/quote]

I agree. This country does any number of things many of the founders would have found stupid or vulgar. We allow women to vote and hold serious government positions. We allow inter-racial couples to marry and produce offspring. We have failed to take Jefferson's findings on the innate mental inferiority of blacks to heart, and we have abolished the south's peculiar institution.

:sadwalk:

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1931323' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:11 AM']Amen! I was woken up to the supreme ridiculousness of "animal rights." This was before my reversion to the Church. Afterwards, I began to understand that God wants us to be kind to the animals, but he did put them here for a purpose--to be our companions and to be our food.[/quote]

I guess I don't need to point out that you are an animal

[quote name='Hassan' post='1931728' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:02 PM']I guess I don't need to point out that you are an animal[/quote]

Would you have been satisfied if she had said "rights for non-rational animals"?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1931731' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:04 PM']Would you have been satisfied if she had said "rights for non-rational animals"?[/quote]

It wouldn't work

[quote name='Hassan' post='1931737' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:10 PM']It wouldn't work[/quote]

Why wouldn't it work?

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1932006' date='Jul 25 2009, 08:18 PM']Don't feed the troll, unless he's arguing for argument's sake (aka bored)[/quote]

I'm not a "troll" thank you.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1931738' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:11 PM']Why wouldn't it work?[/quote]

Because the natural sciences don't seem to support the idead of man as a rational being, at least not in the sense I think you mean.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932015' date='Jul 25 2009, 07:28 PM']Because the natural sciences don't seem to support the idead of man as a rational being, at least not in the sense I think you mean.[/quote]

Unlike non-rational animals, man has an intellect and free will.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1932018' date='Jul 25 2009, 07:32 PM']and thumbs.... :twothumbsup:[/quote]

Apes have thumbs...

:unsure:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1931728' date='Jul 25 2009, 01:02 PM']I guess I don't need to point out that you are an animal[/quote]

Well... first off, you know what she meant.

And second off, animals will eat us if we go into their territory and threaten them. It is indeed in their nature to do that kind of thing to us to protect themselves, which is why we should act with caution to avoid being in a position to be eaten by an animal.

But the survivors of human beings that are eaten by sharks and bears and lions (much less the human who was killed) do not sue said sharks and bears and lions, etc. We also don't sue spiders when they bite us, or bees when they sting us.

But I don't think you're a troll.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1932017' date='Jul 25 2009, 08:31 PM']Unlike non-rational animals, man has an intellect and free will.[/quote]

I'd agree that humans have free will. Although probably not for the same reasons you do. Animals certainly have intelligence, even if it is no where near on par with ours.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1932023' date='Jul 25 2009, 08:37 PM']Well... first off, you know what she meant.[/quote]

I'm not sure I do to be honest. I could guess but I'm not sure.

[quote]And second off, animals will eat us if we go into their territory and threaten them. It is indeed in their nature to do that kind of thing to us to protect themselves, which is why we should act with caution to avoid being in a position to be eaten by an animal.

But the survivors of human beings that are eaten by sharks and bears and lions (much less the human who was killed) do not sue said sharks and bears and lions, etc. We also don't sue spiders when they bite us, or bees when they sting us.[/quote]

I haven't suggested animals should be able to sue humans. I do think that the question of animal rights should not be laughed off so tritely as it commonly is.

I'm not an animal rights activist or even a vegetarian though.

[quote]But I don't think you're a troll.[/quote]

Thank you :)