An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Need A Hug

MissyP89

Marie-Therese

Aww, Missy, how did I miss this? A belated :hug: and I am glad that you were able to go and present yourself to the Lord.

I love my confessor, because his penances are the best. He always gives me great things to think about. However, since my parish might have 100 people tops, sometimes I do get that yuck feeling because I have to confess such mess to the priest who knows me very well. There is not even an attempt to pretend our confessions are anonymous LOL. I think at some point I will have to try the priest in the nearest parish (45 min away) and see if I feel OK about going to him if I have really bad stuff to confess. LOL

lost_in_this_world

maybe you shouldn't listen to me .... i dont like going to confession so i just dont. ive only gone three times in my life and that was more than enough for me

tinytherese

[quote name='lost_in_this_world' post='1932140' date='Jul 25 2009, 11:11 PM']maybe you shouldn't listen to me .... i dont like going to confession so i just dont. ive only gone three times in my life and that was more than enough for me[/quote]

We'er supposed to go once a year though before Easter. :mellow:

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1931881' date='Jul 25 2009, 05:44 PM']And me, too. OMG, I felt like such a lamer, he had to calm me down! :lol: But after I was done the actual confessing part I sat back and said "Okay...it's done with. :)" I still wince a little thinking about how awkward it was, but I know he's forgotten by now.[/quote]

I am glad to read that you went after all

VeniteAdoremus

Our FSSP priest is the best confessor. It's an old-fashioned confessional with a grille and even a piece of cloth behind the grille, but when he hears you're upset he sticks his hand under the cloth so you know he's there and it's OK :)

But yes, I have a love/hate relationship with confession, too. I'm actually really glad you posted so I know I'm not the only one :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1932396' date='Jul 26 2009, 09:04 AM']Our FSSP priest is the best confessor. It's an old-fashioned confessional with a grille and even a piece of cloth behind the grille, but when he hears you're upset he sticks his hand under the cloth so you know he's there and it's OK :)

But yes, I have a love/hate relationship with confession, too. I'm actually really glad you posted so I know I'm not the only one :)[/quote]

This makes me think of a funny story... when the sisters were in Irondale, their confessional had this little slot, I guess, where the priest would stick a holy card through the screen... one time, one of the nuns went to take the holy card, and she squeezed his NOSE. Talk about awkward. She said he was very kind about it though. Maybe it had happened before. :lol_roll:

One of my favorite stories about the Confessional is this one about St. Leopold of Mandic... He was a Capuchin, known particularly as a great confessor. One time this man came to go to confession for the first time in many many years, and St. Leopold got up to hug him, and then when the man went to go in the confessional, he was still so nervous that he sat in the priests chair. So St. Leopold took his place kneeling on the penitent's side to hear the man's confession. Then when the man was finished, he realized he was in the wrong spot, but St. Leopold refused to hear it. ^_^

Theologian in Training

Let me explain something from a confessor's point of view, whatever you tell us, we have heard before, if not exactly, a variation, thereof. And, if we haven't, it doesn't matter, confession is confession. Being on both sides, I understand the nervousness and awkwardness, but, as a priest, it amazes me how many people I have to calm down or assure of God's mercy.

To be honest, we all do stupid things, that is what makes us human, and when, in that stupidity, we sin, well, that is what makes us realize we are human and in need of God's help, realizing, ultimately, that we are not God and that if it didn't sink in this time there are plenty of other opportunities in that confessional until it does :)

Glad to hear it went well!