An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Husbands Have Special Ear Drums

Ash Wednesday

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1931794' date='Jul 25 2009, 09:24 PM']I think what angers me in general is that he suddenly cares about the way the house looks only when someone else is coming over, like when the estate agent lady comes over every so often during the year to make an inspection, or whatever. He shows that kind of sensitivity for other people, but not his own wife.

I guess I'll just have to have houseguests over more often. :mellow:[/quote]
Growing up, we always knew if we were having company over because my dad suddenly made us help him clean the house.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1931968' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:51 AM']My husband has a bad habit of accumulating a large laundry pile next to our bed. I'll be the first to admit, I have a laundry basket that I leave stuff in and don't put away--but it's IN the basket. He HAS a basket and still throws it on the floor. Then he tells me "If it's over here it means it's clean and I'll wear it again." And when I decide to be super nice and pick it up I notice that several items are, in fact, filthy. He'd pick it up, see it was dirty, throw it in the hamper and then wonder why he didn't have clean laundry.[/quote]
So it's not just my husband that does that. Granted, I've been horrible about putting the clean laundry away lately, and the house looks horrible at the moment. And I don't even try to clean his office, unless I have more time on my hands and he's out of the house. DH is good about helping if I ask, and when I went away for a weekend, he even mopped the kitchen floor and vacuumed and all that without me saying a word. And he's really good about taking care of the cats so I don't have to be around the cat boxes. He figured he might as well do that all the time, whether I'm pregnant or not, and I greatly appreciate it.

I do get irritated if I tell him something and he doesn't remember it. The reason I get irritated is that I know I'm not always the best at communicating, so when I make the effort to tell him something and he doesn't recall it, it grates on me. I have to remember to offer it up when that happens.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1931754' date='Jul 25 2009, 04:22 PM']...and how do you get them to listen to you when you ask them to do something, and how do you get them to do it in a timely manner?

And is there ANY way you can get them to clean up after themselves? Because I get really tired of cleaning up after him because he apparently can't do it himself. :maddest:[/quote]
soff earplugs?

Ash Wednesday

I used to make fun of my brother -- I called him "whipped" and a "dog in training" -- now I think, "dang, she was good." :mellow:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1931794' date='Jul 25 2009, 04:24 PM']The only thing that REALLY bugs me is that he leaves electronics and computer parts out all over the house. It's hard to vaccum when there's little wires, drill bits, nuts and bolts on the floor.[/quote]
Why'd you marry a computer geek, then? If my wife had been bothered by stunning good looks, clever conversation and ceramic platypus figurines, she would have been unwise to marry me.

Ash Wednesday

Hey, I didn't think that nuts and bolts would actually manage to migrate around the house. I have no idea how they go from his desk or servers downstairs to places like the bathroom, or the middle of the living room floor. I am convinced they have tiny legs and feet.

Sometimes when I am most aggravatted, I remember the "other" things he does like lay wood floors, paint, goes to work every day so we can eat, etc. However, it does get hard because the wood floors stay there, clean laundry keeps coming back. And he wants to eat when he gets home everyday (preferably to something different than the night before). So, it is a struggle and I have no real answer. (Scans room) "Hey kids, let's go to the zoo!"

When we have company DH really helps! We do have company fairly often. And, if we put the time aside for the "larger jobs" sometimes they get accomplished. He feels so good about that he keeps on goings -- for a while anyway.

There was a time DH had no time for anything. Turns out he was having an awful time at work. Found a new job. Now has time (actually the incentive and energy) to work on the house again. Houses are always "in progress". Stay focused on his good points. I know that is hard, but we must try. Hey, we can try to remember why we married him in the first place. I know we did not have kids, but I was different then, too. I think they really don't understand clean houses and housework like we do. Gives us a chance at practicing patience and virtues. (growl!) Just like they do when we are less than reasonable because we have been blessed with hormones. :rolleyes:

On the eve of my (and the DH, of course) 15th anniversary, I can empathically say ...

Beating your head against a brick wall yields better results.

My hubby, Bless him, has decided that his job is cleaning the kitchen. Which means, doing the dishes ... which means, he puts them in the dishwasher. This is a triumph in many ways. It also means that the sink doesn't get scrubbed, the floor doesn't get mopped, and the stove, may or may not be cleaned. Because to him, cleaning the kitchen = doing the dishes.

But, at least I have more time to pick socks up off the floor.

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='1932645' date='Jul 26 2009, 05:05 PM']There's no special ear drums. They just get calloused from all the nagging.[/quote]

:biglol:

Good one!

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1933096' date='Jul 27 2009, 12:47 PM']+J.M.J.+
i wish i had a dishwasher. :mellow: oh wait, i do have one. it's me. :P[/quote]

Micah makes fun of me for not knowing how to load and work the dishwasher. I never grew up in a house with a dishwasher so I never needed to learn how to load and work a dishwasher.

-----

I think it's a two way street with the ear drums thing. I have a bad habit of leaving glasses on my bedside table and sometimes a small bowl or plate lol Micah picks after all the time with regard to those things. It's a bad habit and one I'm still working on trying to break.

I think the biggest pet peeve I have with Micah is the dirty clothes beside the bed issue lol. We usually have a basket or two in our bedroom for dirty clothes, but his clothes never make it in them unless I pick them up and put them in there lol I can live with it. He does a ton around the house, especially since I'm pregnant. He changes pretty much every diaper, takes care of the bottle feedings (I take care of the baby food because dh isn't so great at it lol), cleans the kitchen (stove, fridge, dishes).