An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Good Rumor

Thomist-in-Training

Thomist-in-Training

So, the priest said, :priest: "Sometimes I hear rumors around the Church. Lately I've been hearing that maybe in a little while or a few years--now, this is just a rumor, but I've heard things like this before--the privilege of receiving Holy Communion in the hand will be revoked. There have been abuses and people have not been receiving Our Lord with the proper reverence, and so this may happen."

[i]Laudetur Iesus Christus![/i]

:bigclap: :bigpray:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:love: :wine: :taco: :taco:
:pigfly: :)) :dance: :dance: :cloud9: :twothumbsup: :beer:

eagle_eye222001

I treat rumors with skepticism. :mellow:

While there may be some truth behind it, that hardly means that this will be the option taken by our Church. I need more metal, reason, and indirect evidence before I can take this rumor seriously.

I mean.....does this priest sit on the council for this decision or something? I wonder where he heard it from...

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/third+eye+blind/track/jumper+(2006+remastered)"]Third Eye Blind - Jumper (2006 Remastered)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1937330' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:27 PM']Lawl. Here come the flame wars.... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Pretty much...

Cool! Of course, it would still be cool if the hand was allowed--as long as I get to have Him, I don't care. ^_^

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1937340' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:34 PM']:popcorn: Want some?[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, but nah...trying to lose some weight before visiting Missy again.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1937390' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:16 AM']The only winning move is not to play.[/quote]
But... but... I got out the popcorn!!! (Joking. I know your legit stance.)

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1937308' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:52 PM']I treat rumors with skepticism. :mellow:

While there may be some truth behind it, that hardly means that this will be the option taken by our Church. I need more metal, reason, and indirect evidence before I can take this rumor seriously.

I mean.....does this priest sit on the council for this decision or something? I wonder where he heard it from...

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/third+eye+blind/track/jumper+(2006+remastered)"]Third Eye Blind - Jumper (2006 Remastered)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url][/quote]

I don't think he's on a council at all. However, he's a parish priest, which makes him a darn sight more likely to hear reasonable rumors than me. What made me so happy wasn't even necessarily the [i]content [/i]of his announcement--someday liturgical matters in the Church of Rome will return to sanity, I know, so it's a foregone conclusion, the only question is How long?*--but the fact that he made the announcement at a [i]parish weekday Mass [/i]. If people go to daily Mass, they probably are better informed than the average Catholic, but I think a large number of them still don't think about whether CITH is right. It's not like they are TLM-goers who are champing at the bit to hear this kind of news. So, if he thought it was [i]important enough to mention[/i], that says something about whether it could happen.

*This is not a sede comment. I just said "Church of Rome" to be poetical.

What I found interesting about the whole receiving in the hand interesting is my children were told at First Communion practice receiving in the hand was the preferred method, when it is not. I had heard the same thing, actually. I wonder why a priest would say a rumor at mass. hmmmm

Groo the Wanderer

Communion in the hand never bothered me...until recently. Reading the pros/cons of it all, I am starting to understand better both sides of the argument.

Communion in the hand was a grand experiment to bring Christ a bit closer to the people, to draw them into deeper participation in the Mass. It was also a failure, IMHO. The result in many instances has not been a deeper connection with Jesus but rather a familiarity with the Eucharist that has bred contempt and culminated in a loss of reverence for the Sacrament.

I served as an EMHC yesterday at Mass. I distributed the Body to at least 30 people myself. Of those, perhaps 5 received it correctly. Most did not form a throne with their hands, nor did they elevate them enough to show proper reverence. Many would receive in one hand then gulp the host from it like a child with a handful of cheerios NOM NOM NOM! Most forgot to sign themselves after receiving. Many forgot to bow before receiving. One forgot to say Amen. Others said it so low they seemed ashamed. Some said Amen before I even proclaimed The Body of Christ and looked past me to who knows what.

Personally, I hope the rumor is true and that it comes quickly. We have lost too much of the sacred in Mass. The Reform of the Reform is ready to go full steam ahead!

VeniteAdoremus

I thought saying Amen was optional?

I've EMHCd at Christmas and Easter masses. And then I crawled to my sister for a good cry.

Me: "The Body of Christ."
$person: *stares blankly*

If they were staring blankly with their mouth hanging open, they unexpectedly received on the tongue. I think I still need to confess that. I took wholly unfitting pleasure in it.