An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Good Rumor

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939644' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:31 AM']If they were staring blankly with their mouth hanging open, they unexpectedly received on the tongue. I think I still need to confess that. I took wholly unfitting pleasure in it.[/quote]
:lol_pound:

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939644' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:31 AM']I thought saying Amen was optional?

I've EMHCd at Christmas and Easter masses. And then I crawled to my sister for a good cry.

Me: "The Body of Christ."
$person: *stares blankly*

If they were staring blankly with their mouth hanging open, they unexpectedly received on the tongue. I think I still need to confess that. I took wholly unfitting pleasure in it.[/quote]
Pwn'd

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939644' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:31 AM']If they were staring blankly with their mouth hanging open, they unexpectedly received on the tongue. I think I still need to confess that. I took wholly unfitting pleasure in it.[/quote]

:hehe: That's awesome.

While I always have received on the tongue (I was taught this way in 2nd grade) I'm not putting any stock in rumors until something official comes out. I haven't heard this rumor coming from anywhere else. Not that it wouldn't be awesome if it happened, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1940007' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:56 PM']While I always have received on the tongue (I was taught this way in 2nd grade) I'm not putting any stock in rumors until something official comes out. I haven't heard this rumor coming from anywhere else. Not that it wouldn't be awesome if it happened, I'm just not getting my hopes up.[/quote]

I actually agree with this. If there were a real rumor from the Vatican about this, it probably would have been picked up by more people.

StGiannaismyhero!

[color="#9932CC"]I used to receive on the hand because that's how I was taught. In April I spent a month in Austria and went to the Byzantine Liturgy while I was there. Since then, I haven't been able to bring myself to receive in the hand any more because my love and respect for Jesus in the Eucharist grew so much while I was gone. I don't have anything against anyone who receives in the hand as long as they do it respectfully. Granted, I would love to see something like this come true.

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria![/color]

melporcristo

JMJT
+

YESSSSSSS.
Although a rumor, this phorum gives me affirmation that I'm not the only one who believes in total reverence and love is necessary when receiving Our Lord in Holy Communion.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939644' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:31 PM']I thought saying Amen was optional?

I've EMHCd at Christmas and Easter masses. And then I crawled to my sister for a good cry.

Me: "The Body of Christ."
$person: *stares blankly*

If they were staring blankly with their mouth hanging open, they unexpectedly received on the tongue. I think I still need to confess that. I took wholly unfitting pleasure in it.[/quote]

This is why our family is t3h awesome.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1939980' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:08 PM']Why does this thread have only two stars?[/quote]
Personally (and not a word of this is directed to the original poster), I gave it one star because I find this sort of cheerleading for communion in the hand only to be divisive and unnecessary. I think that some of the people think that the only good and holy way to receive is on the tongue. If this were the case, I doubt that the past few Popes would have continued to allow it. If one chooses to receive on the tongue, that's fine. If one chooses to receive on the hand, that's also fine. But I find that those who receive on the tongue sometimes like to look down on receiving in the hand as being less reverent or something. While this is maybe true for some, there are people who receive every bit as reverently on the hand as others do on the tongue. There is plenty of support for both sides (i.e., on the tongue gives less room for potential abuse; in the hand follows more closely "TAKE and eat"), and I can see both sides. I don't think that sharing a rumour (that strikes me as of rather dubious veracity, anyway) is going to be overly productive. But, it's a free country, as they say, and one may post whatever he chooses.

I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers.
-Mitch
(Who receives on the tongue)

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1940141' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:55 PM']There is plenty of support for both sides (i.e., on the tongue gives less room for potential abuse; in the hand follows more closely "TAKE and eat")[/quote]

The both Greek word "λάβετε" and the Latin word "accipite" can mean "receive" as well as "take".

Brother Adam

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1940141' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:55 PM']Personally (and not a word of this is directed to the original poster), I gave it one star because I find this sort of cheerleading for communion in the hand only to be divisive and unnecessary. [color="#8B0000"][There is nothing wrong with being divisive when there are abuses taking place in the Church that need to be weeded out. People cheer lead for faithfulness and reverence to Christ. That is necessary and holy.] [/color]I think that some of the people think that the only good and holy way to receive is on the tongue. If this were the case, I doubt that the past few Popes would have continued to allow it. [color="#8B0000"][There is legitimate liturgical variation from place to place. Receiving on the tongue is not the only 'reverent' way to receive, but if one way which may be holy has lead not to reverence, but disbelief in Christ, then it needs to be discontinued. It isn't as easy as a pope simply saying "stop". The church takes time to pray and discern actions it takes. If this method of the reception of our Lord ends, it will be well received.][/color] If one chooses to receive on the tongue, that's fine. If one chooses to receive on the hand, that's also fine. [color="#8B0000"][It is only fine if "one" receives it in a state of grace with the upmost worship and respect for who they are receiving][/color]. But I find that those who receive on the tongue sometimes like to look down on receiving in the hand as being less reverent or something. [color="#8B0000"][ Typically only those who do not receive reverently on the hand. The examples are plenty. Many people who receive on the hand drink damnation onto their souls, because they do not believe what they receive. This goes both ways, but more so among those who receive on the hand. ][/color]While this is maybe true for some, there are people who receive every bit as reverently on the hand as others do on the tongue. [color="#8B0000"][Not true, actually, the action itself is less humble and signifies a different reality.][/color] There is plenty of support for both sides (i.e., on the tongue gives less room for potential abuse; in the hand follows more closely "TAKE and eat"), and I can see both sides. [color="#8B0000"][The most important one is that the Church allows it.] [/color]I don't think that sharing a rumour (that strikes me as of rather dubious veracity, anyway) is going to be overly productive. But, it's a free country, as they say, and one may post whatever he chooses.[/quote]

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1940007' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:56 PM']:hehe: That's awesome.

While I always have received on the tongue (I was taught this way in 2nd grade) I'm not putting any stock in rumors until something official comes out. I haven't heard this rumor coming from anywhere else. Not that it wouldn't be awesome if it happened, I'm just not getting my hopes up.[/quote]

[url="http://newsblaze.com/story/20090801065749zzzz.nb/topstory.html"]Very recent Link with thoughts of the Holy Father[/url]

Bada bing, bada boom! So it's "officially a rumor." :dance: