An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Good Rumor

Thomist-in-Training

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1940192' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:15 AM'][url="http://newsblaze.com/story/20090801065749zzzz.nb/topstory.html"]Very recent Link with thoughts of the Holy Father[/url]

Bada bing, bada boom! So it's "officially a rumor." :dance:[/quote]

Do you know the original source for the statements by the pope? Again, in prudence, I'd much rather see it coming from him than a 3rd party.

I've always thought it was more respectful to take communion on your hand, a very human body part that separates us from many animals, a tool that has basically created the world we know now. Sticking out your tongue, a muscle used for eating, doesn't seem as respectful for me :huh:

[quote name='Kitty' post='1940218' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:48 PM']I've always thought it was more respectful to take communion on your hand, a very human body part that separates us from many animals, a tool that has basically created the world we know now. Sticking out your tongue, a muscle used for eating, doesn't seem as respectful for me :huh:[/quote]

One isn't supposed to stick out his tongue very far. Just far enough that the Host can easily be placed upon his tongue. In fact, in the Byzantine Rite, in which the most holy Sacrament is placed directly into the mouth of the communicant by means of a golden spoon, one does not stick out his tongue at all (or at least he shouldn't.

That said, receiving Communion on the tongue is very respectful and reverent in several ways. Not least of all is that it causes us to humble ourselves and become like infants who cannot yet feed themselves. "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, he is the greater in the kingdom of heaven."

Vincent Vega

[quote]There is nothing wrong with being divisive when there are abuses taking place in the Church that need to be weeded out. People cheer lead for faithfulness and reverence to Christ. That is necessary and holy.[/quote]
I would hardly consider receiving on the hand an abuse. May it act as an easy vehicle for sacrilege for those who want to commit such a deed? Perhaps. But as the saying goes, "where there's a will, there's a way." Certainly one could just as easily spit out the host or something of this sort.
[quote]There is legitimate liturgical variation from place to place. Receiving on the tongue is not the only 'reverent' way to receive, but if one way which may be holy has lead not to reverence, but disbelief in Christ, then it needs to be discontinued. It isn't as easy as a pope simply saying "stop". The church takes time to pray and discern actions it takes. If this method of the reception of our Lord ends, it will be well received.[/quote]
I think this has a lot to do with the upsetting state of religious education in this country, and in the West (and perhaps the whole Church) than whether or not one can receive in the hand or on the tongue. Simply saying "Receive on the tongue!" isn't going to undo 10, 20, 30, 40 years of misinformation or undereducation.
[quote]It is only fine if "one" receives it in a state of grace with the upmost worship and respect for who they are receiving Typically only those who do not receive reverently on the hand. The examples are plenty. Many people who receive on the hand drink damnation onto their souls, because they do not believe what they receive. This goes both ways, but more so among those who receive on the hand.[/quote]
Again, receiving on the hand doesn't automatically remove any reverence, and all of these problems you state about receiving on the hand are less direct consequences of receiving in the hand, and are more likely due to poor religious instruction.
[quote]Not true, actually, the action itself is less humble and signifies a different reality.[/quote]
Now this is getting into a bit of reading people's intentions. I'd be willing to bet that there are probably sanctimonious, holier-than-thou types out there that receive on the tongue to show everyone else how much devotion they have to the Eucharist, and people who receive on the hand due to any multitude of reasons (could be anything, really, from an immunodeficiency where they really wouldn't want anyone else's hands so close to their mouth/nose/face, to being told at some point that they were not permitted to receive on the tongue (yes, believe it or not, I was told that...it happens), to any other number of things) and are quite aware of what they are receiving and are very reverent towards Him. Someone brought up in an earlier thread this point - did the apostles receive on the tongue when Jesus himself instituted it? If not, wouldn't that mean it was probably alright to receive in the hand?

-Mitch
(who still receives on the tongue)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1940239' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:13 AM']That said, receiving Communion on the tongue is very respectful and reverent in several ways. Not least of all is that it causes us to humble ourselves and become like infants who cannot yet feed themselves. "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, he is the greater in the kingdom of heaven."[/quote]
Yes. My son also finds it somewhat amusing to see me receiving in that way - I imagine he can relate to it.

I miss receiving on the tongue. Pray the swine flu measures can be lifted soon!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1940293' date='Aug 4 2009, 08:27 AM']Pray the swine flu measures can be lifted soon![/quote]

Definitely!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1940293' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:27 AM']Yes. My son also finds it somewhat amusing to see me receiving in that way - I imagine he can relate to it.

I miss receiving on the tongue. Pray the swine flu measures can be lifted soon![/quote]

I liked sticking out my tongue at one of my professors weekly... (he's an instituted acolyte. He's also brilliant.)

Our chaplain has accidentally misplaced the bishop's letter asking us not to receive on the tongue, I believe :)

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1940251' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:28 PM']Someone brought up in an earlier thread this point - did the apostles receive on the tongue when Jesus himself instituted it? If not, wouldn't that mean it was probably alright to receive in the hand?[/quote]

It was common in Jewish ritual meals for the person leading the ritual to put place a morsel directly in the mouth of his guests (if I recall correctly). In light of that information, it would make sense to me that Christ our God did indeed place His most holy Body directly into the mouths of His apostles.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1940009' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:58 PM']This thread hasn't broken down the way I thought it did. It has stayed positive. I'm glad.[/quote]

I think, given recent developments, you spoke too soon my friend. However, I checked the rating thing...7 ratings? Nothing ever gets seven ratings anymore! :mellow:

[quote name='BG45' post='1940389' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:34 AM']I think, given recent developments, you spoke too soon my friend.[/quote]

This thread has not gone downhill at all.

Up at the top under New Topic and Add Reply there should (in theory) be a box that says Rating with stars next to it. If you click the box it should give you a drop down menu to add what rating the thread deserves. We're now up to nine, so I'd say the bitterness is being waged in the rating box.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1940430' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:30 PM']This thread has not gone downhill at all.[/quote]
Agree.