An Old School Catholic Message Board

America Should Switch To The Euro

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1937909' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:56 AM']:o

I want a Pope coin!

:sadwalk:[/quote]

We'd get Obama coins instead.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1937956' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:40 AM']Except that our two dollar coins are called, creatively, Twonies.[/quote]
You're trying to spell it the way it makes sense. :topsy: You should just say Toonies and get it over with.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Era Might' post='1937894' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:35 AM']And then when you try to spend the dollar coin, you have to look away in embarrassment because you know the person at the store doesn't want your dollar coins. Getting a dollar coin is almost as bad as getting a Canadian quarter.[/quote]

:yes: I hate when I get cash back at the grocery store and they give me dollar coins as change. I get cash back so I can tip the bagger (they don't work for paychecks, they work for tips, so they bag everything and take it out to your car for you... which really helps when you have 4 kids in tow). Tipping with coins is tacky and kinda rude. They have to walk around with that in their pockets all day.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1938021' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:44 PM']I didn't know there were American dollar coins.[/quote]

Go to Vegas, and you'll see plenty.

VeniteAdoremus

Dude.

I was shocked to find out there was a dollar BILL.

Our smallest bill is 5 euros, which by the current exchange rate is about $200 I believe.*

And we used to have commemorative 50 guilder coins - that's about 22 euros.

So why won't people accept dollar coins?

*$7.12. But still.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1938175' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:21 PM']Neat. :D Anyone want to show me a picture?[/quote]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_coin_(United_States)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_coin_(United_States)[/url]

If you scroll down you can see the more common coins, the one they show at the top I've never actually seen.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1938021' date='Aug 1 2009, 01:44 PM']I didn't know there were American dollar coins.[/quote]
Many different ones, actually.

We have a couple of Eisenhower ones around from the 70s. I never have seen them circulated, though-- least not recently. They're huge! I can see why people didn't want to carry those around. Of course there's the Susan B. Anthony disaster of 1979 ("Let's design a dollar coin that looks and feels pretty much like a quarter!"-- not popular at all until they were needed for vending machines as I mentioned above.), the Sacagawea dollar (started in 2000) and the recent presidential dollars ("If we continue to mint different coins, people will collect them!")

I wish they'd get rid of the bill. They don't last nearly as long at the coins (12-18 month compared to a couple of decades).

Btw, we also have a 50c piece with Kennedy on it. For some reason, those never caught on either.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1938010' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:36 AM']:yes: I hate when I get cash back at the grocery store and they give me dollar coins as change. I get cash back so I can tip the bagger (they don't work for paychecks, they work for tips, so they bag everything and take it out to your car for you... which really helps when you have 4 kids in tow). Tipping with coins is tacky and kinda rude. They have to walk around with that in their pockets all day.[/quote]

At my grocery store, the courtesy clerks get fired if they get caught accepting tips.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1938389' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:45 PM']At my grocery store, the courtesy clerks get fired if they get caught accepting tips.[/quote]

Well, it's not a regular grocery store like a Kroger where those people are actually getting a pay check. This is at a commissary on a military base, and the baggers literally work for tips only. If I only have a couple things I can go through self check out and not tip, but when I have a whole cart full of stuff and they bring it to my car and unload it for me while I buckle my kids in the car... they deserve a few bucks. :)

Nihil Obstat

Someone once forced a tip on me when I brought a desk out to their car at Staples. I'm not supposed to get tipped, and nobody's ever tried before, so I was a bit taken aback. He made me take it though.

Nihil Obstat

Yea, normally my job is pretty underappreciated, until I carry something for someone. Forget about the fact that carrying is the easiest part of my job... :annoyed: