An Old School Catholic Message Board

America Should Switch To The Euro

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1938691' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:58 PM']Yea, normally my job is pretty underappreciated, until I carry something for someone. Forget about the fact that carrying is the easiest part of my job... :annoyed:[/quote]

When I was at Wal-Mart, carry-outs were the best. They sure as heck beat working...

Nihil Obstat

Definitely! It's a huge waste of time, usually not particularly hard to lift or handle, you're outdoors, and at the same time you're not doing all the more important things inside the store. :P

[quote name='Era Might' post='1937894' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:35 AM']And then when you try to spend the dollar coin, you have to look away in embarrassment because you know the person at the store doesn't want your dollar coins. Getting a dollar coin is almost as bad as getting a Canadian quarter.[/quote]
I'm taken aback! There's an elk on it and everything! I'm sorry that it's only worth .2378 of a dollar! And I'm sure you feel the same about our pennies being worth .9276 of a cent! Wait till our dollar is high again! We'll be chucking your pennies across the border!

[quote name='Era Might' post='1937894' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:35 AM']And then when you try to spend the dollar coin, you have to look away in embarrassment because you know the person at the store doesn't want your dollar coins. Getting a dollar coin is almost as bad as getting a Canadian quarter.[/quote]

I usually just take Canadian coins. It's easier than not taking them.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1938700' date='Aug 2 2009, 02:07 AM']I'm taken aback! There's an elk on it and everything! I'm sorry that it's only worth .2378 of a dollar! And I'm sure you feel the same about our pennies being worth .9276 of a cent! Wait till our dollar is high again! We'll be chucking your pennies across the border![/quote]
I think most people take them, but then you feel like you have to strategically pawn it off on someone else. It's not that it's value is less (as I said, most people take them as a quarter)... it's just that weird feeling of hot potato-- gotta get rid of it. And as I said, they don't work in vending machines (which is where most people spend coins). So... yeah. Do US coins work in Canadian vending machines?

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1938852' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:58 AM']I think most people take them, but then you feel like you have to strategically pawn it off on someone else. It's not that it's value is less (as I said, most people take them as a quarter)... it's just that weird feeling of hot potato-- gotta get rid of it. [b]And as I said, they don't work in vending machines (which is where most people spend coins)[/b]. So... yeah. Do US coins work in Canadian vending machines?[/quote]

Yes, and especially if you have to use anything that requires coins regularly, like a laundry room/laundromat at college. The washers and dryers won't accept Canadian quarters. It stinks when you have just enough money to do all your laundry and get to your last load and realize you can't finish because you have a CANADIAN quarter. :lol: In college we had one machine that actually accepted them so if you were Canadian (we had a couple of them roaming around on campus) or had wound up with a couple Canadian quarters you had to work it out so you got the special washing machine.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1938852' date='Aug 2 2009, 08:58 AM']I think most people take them, but then you feel like you have to strategically pawn it off on someone else. It's not that it's value is less (as I said, most people take them as a quarter)... it's just that weird feeling of hot potato-- gotta get rid of it. And as I said, they don't work in vending machines (which is where most people spend coins). So... yeah. Do US coins work in Canadian vending machines?[/quote]
I've never tried. I rarely get anything above an American Penny. But, I still have some change from my trip down south... :unsure:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1938897' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:25 AM']Yes, and especially if you have to use anything that requires coins regularly, like a laundry room/laundromat at college. The washers and dryers won't accept Canadian quarters. It stinks when you have just enough money to do all your laundry and get to your last load and realize you can't finish because you have a CANADIAN quarter. :lol: In college we had one machine that actually accepted them so if you were Canadian (we had a couple of them roaming around on campus) or had wound up with a couple Canadian quarters you had to work it out so you got the special washing machine.[/quote]
Lawl. Are our quarters slightly smaller? *compares them* Or were your washers electronic?

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1939148' date='Aug 2 2009, 07:10 PM']I've never tried. I rarely get anything above an American Penny. But, I still have some change from my trip down south... :unsure:

Lawl. Are our quarters slightly smaller? *compares them* Or were your washers electronic?[/quote]

I don't know. I always thought they were the same. The washers were not electronic, they just had that tray where you set the quarters down and shove it in... I don't know why it wouldn't work.