An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was I Saved?

princessgianna

Was I saved?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

princessgianna

So yesterday Skillet and Flyleaf were playing at this "Rock the River" concert which was held at the Arch grounds. Eagle Eye wanted to go and invited me, Elizabeth09 and dauntingknight. So we headed off to our very first "Rock concert". When we first got there the grassy grounds were alread covered by people though we somehow got to stand in the middle left to the stage. Only 1,000 ft. from the stage. It was weird people were offering "free hugs"! :unsure: Finally I got sick of this "hippie-lets make us feel ok- junk" so after being offered the fifith "free hug" I finally told one of the guys as he offered me a free hug "as soon as babies aren't being killed in the womb". And kept walking. He looked shocked though I am not sure that he heard me. Skillet started and were [i]TOTALLY [/i]amazing! They played for about 30 minutes-tops. And we figured that ok it's 7:30 now-flyleaf will start at 8:00. Cool since we had awesome spots we also decided to just wait. Well then

Franklin Graham got up and started telling the story of the prodigal son. It was annoying he first read the passage. Then resaid the story 5 different ways!! I hate it when the priest does that Mass.It's like "I got the point the first time". And he goes on and on we realize the time is inching closer to 8:00 and he goes on about John 3:16 - the over used cliche` verse. IMHO. And ofcourse Eagle Eye and I keep looking at eachother and rolling our eyes. Then he starts talking about "accepting Jesus" Then he goes on to say "if you want to recieve Jesus raise your hand and we ll get you a book and some liturgy so keep your hands up". I then had the wonderful idea of raising my hand (I also admit that I was a tad bored!) so I quickly consulted EE who was supporting the idea. So I rasied my hand and within 3 min a young lady in her early 20's came by with somthing in her hand. I figured that I would get the book say thanks and that would be the end of it. Boy was I wrong. :mellow: She wanted to talk about it. :sigh: Fine Ill fake intrest. So she begins and goes on how through Christ are we saved (which I never denyed) and is explaining the whole procedure. I finally told her that I am indeed a Christian and already have Christ in my life. She looked a tad confused and asked me if I was just interested in the free book. I responed that I was open to what she had to say. I then asked her if she took the Bible to be completly literal. She was like "do you mean like Genesis? I was that wasn't my point. I was actaully just curious about the New Testament right now. I asked her what Matthew 16:18 meant to her. After I briefly explained that passage She was like "Peter died". I pointed out that after Judus died the apostles casted lots for someone to replace which was Mathias -apostolic succession. After I brought up the Holy Eucharist she asked if I was by chance -Catholic. I responded postive. She said that the Bible was the only sole rule of faith. I said no it was never intended for that. And we go on. By this point she was looking pretty lost and like " how am I part of this conversation". Another counsler came by and started talking. Eagle Eye jumped in and another lady decided to intervine. Ok here is the setting- Flyleaf (a rock band) is about to start in a couple minutes and we are entering a deep discussion. Works was brought up. Ultimatlyt we agree. But we wasted 10 mins. disscussing it anyway! :wacko: With all three of them there I explained that many people fail to learn about what we as Catholics truly believe. Dropped Catholic.com. Somewhere in the conversation someone said that she had lots of Catholic friends -I told her Obama got in because of the Catholic vote. He stands for anything but Catholic principals. She realized what I was getting at. The rapture what brought up. With other things though it was a mutial closing-flyleaf was on stage and hello this was a rock concert!!! The original one lady ducked out a couple min before and said she felt that she wasn't adding to the converstation. I thanked her and told her that I would pray for her and hope she had an awesome night. Did that to the one of the other ladies. The other _i honestly didn't have a chance due to the loud music. As the older was closing up she gave us her number and cell number and introduced herself.
One of the them jabbed me and yelled "John 3:3:16 read it" Which I responded with a loud "Isaiah 22:22 read it!

Interesting things- They all were so emotional! It was all about feeling Christ. Nothing really that substantail. Another thing early on one of them wanted to talk to our "youth leader"? (we went alone) Why? I am curious what was the big deal? With that!

Hindsight I should have stand more on topic. And totally blow up the grounding on Bible alone theroy. So I have work to do. However I do regret what I did. I do regret not being better prepared.

Several things I was able to drop
*Catholic.com-find out what we truly believe before you just assume
*Works with faith-the Church NEVER taught otherwise
*A catholic actaully knew something and seemed pretty confident.

EDIT so About the poll. Since I rasied my hand was I saved? :topsy:

God Bless

I am sure there was more but the conversation was drifting alot. And this is what I can think about on the top of my head.

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1940013' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:04 PM']Which I responded with a loud "Isaiah 22:22 read it![/quote]

"And I will lay the key of the house of David upon his shoulder: and he shall open, and none shall shut: and he shall shut, and none shall open."

Why exactly did you want him to read this?

cmotherofpirl

This is the qwuote you have to remember, I think its from HSmom:

I'm already saved (Rom 8:24, Eph 2:5-8),
but I am also being saved (1 Cor 1:8, 2 Cor 2:15, Phi 2:12),
and
I have the hope that I'll will be saved (Rom 5:9-10, 1 Cor 3:12-15).
Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phi 2:12),
with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom 5:2, 2 Tim 2:11-13).

homeschoolmom

Are you dead? :unsure:

eta: Yes, that quote is from me, but I can't take credit for it. I read it somewhere.

melporcristo

JMJT+

wow.

what a story!

all I can say is PRAISE HIM for the fact that you know how to have a mature conversation with non-Catholics about the Faith. I think you did well - keep praying for those people! You never know what could happen.

About the "where's your youth minister" question - I took it as "where's your mom/dad so they can get you away from us." OR they may have thought that young people like you (I assume your under 21?) would never go to a Christian concert without having been forced to go.

Still, you did an awesome job at clarifying some things!

PrincessG,

You were blindsided. :hehe: So...don't regret it! :)

Your story brings back a couple memories.

More than a couple.

I got saved in a similar way once. :mellow: This huge Assembly of God church had this really popular Friday nite thing and I kept being invited. It turns out, the church just thought their mushy mud pie didn't stink, so everybody needed to go there instead, or at least, speak in tongues and fall down somewhere else. The preacher volunteered "prayer counselors" or whatever for people who wanted to:

1. be saved
2. re-commit to Christ
3. have sin in their life that they want to change

I was thinking that #3 was a no-brainer although not too many people raised their hands. Mr. Prayer Guy comes over and we prayed. Later, I got a letter from them congratulating me on becoming saved and it contained the date of my "spiritual birthday." It made me so upset!

At least my Baptist church wasn't like that I thought...Then I invited an old friend from high school who was a non-practicing Catholic to a thing at the Baptist church. He raised his hand or whatever to "accept Christ in his heart" and had no clue what they meant by it. I ran over to the Outreach Pastor and told him that it was a mistake, but they still sent him a dumb letter. I said something to him after the letter, and he acted like it was not a big deal. :madder:

Anywho...word to your mom,
Paddington

Awesome! You faced those proddies well. I've had conversations like that in the past, but I haven't had the opportunity to throw down as of late. I'm a little unpolished anyways. The Isaias 22:22 was a nice touch.

PG, you've no idea how hard it was for me to read past "Franklin Graham". I love both of those bands, but that man...ugh. Nice job though! A very good job!:)

Now to put on the Baptist hat briefly...being "Saved" is a very emotional experience that people tend to remember for years down the line, if not for the rest of one's life. Almost anyone I can talk to will tell me, a date, a time, a place of when they were "Saved"; at least for those later in life who were "Saved".

Others go forward at a very young age, and before leaving my old church, we discussed that in my senior high school Sunday School course. So many who went up as children said, "I didn't know what I was getting in to". But those who went through later were like, "I understood, and that's why I can tell you I was Saved at X am/pm, on x day of x month of x year, and I was wearing x."

goldenchild17

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1940016' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:14 PM']"And I will lay the key of the house of David upon his shoulder: and he shall open, and none shall shut: and he shall shut, and none shall open."

Why exactly did you want him to read this?[/quote]

It's an important one from a papal succession POV.

elizabeth09

Some people think that you are only save if you allow Jesus to work though you.

^_^

But as Roman Catholic, I am save though Jesus becasue Jesus lets Him do it.

eagle_eye222001

The most hilarious part of this was seeing the look on the woman's face PG was initially talking too. She looked so shocked and I'm sure she was thinking "this isn't in the playbook." :lol_pound:

The debate really didn't go anywhere as when you have no bible and you can't quite recall the verses you need too and Flyleaf is starting in five minutes....however it was a good experience as it showed us what we need to work on.

In the debate I was trying to undermine Sola Scriptura but when I asked where the Bible came from and they enthusiastically responded "God," I knew I didn't have enough time to make my point.

Time to prepare for next time. :sword:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/lord+of+the+rings+3+soundtrack-the+return+of+the+king/track/ash+and+smoke+(album+version)"]Lord Of The Rings 3 Soundtrack-The Return Of The King - Ash And Smoke (Album Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Edited by eagle_eye222001

As Roman Catholics we all need to be prepared to speak the truth to others. They have no problem letting us know how we, as Catholics, are failing. I tend to suggest to them to check out Catholic.com if they have questions we were unable to get to in the conversation. I drop it non chalantly so they don't dismiss it. I figure they may be more willing to check it out in the privacy of their own home than admit to me they actually have questions. I am always amazed how confused people are in regard to the teachings of our faith. They speak as if they are theologians, but have only heard rumors of what Catholics stand for. Many are amazed when I share with them the truth. None have actually said it, their face shows it. Good job Princess Gianna. Your patron saint would be proud!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='BG45' post='1940075' date='Aug 4 2009, 01:45 AM']Now to put on the Baptist hat briefly...being "Saved" is a very emotional experience that people tend to remember for years down the line, if not for the rest of one's life. Almost anyone I can talk to will tell me, a date, a time, a place of when they were "Saved"; at least for those later in life who were "Saved".[/quote]
And if you don't have that emotional born-again experience, then it is questioned whether you are really "saved". At least that was my experience. For years I worried about that because I couldn't point to one single event.