An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was I Saved?

princessgianna

Was I saved?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VeniteAdoremus

Awesome PG :) Really! I wouldn't have come up with half of that.

A very dear, very protestant lady (who babysat me from when I was 3 weeks old) started to cry when I told her about the convent, and said she was so happy because this decision meant I must be saved. It was very touching really.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1940291' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:21 AM']And if you don't have that emotional born-again experience, then it is questioned whether you are really "saved". At least that was my experience. For years I worried about that because I couldn't point to one single event.[/quote]

Pretty much the same here, where people make you absolutely wonder, did you get saved? Even if you had an event, but seemed to not be cheerful and peppy and "YAY JESUS" all the time, people would try to convince me I wasn't Saved because I wasn't 100% on fire all the time. So know what you mean. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='BG45' post='1940337' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:58 PM']Pretty much the same here, where people make you absolutely wonder, did you get saved? Even if you had an event, but seemed to not be cheerful and peppy and "YAY JESUS" all the time, people would try to convince me I wasn't Saved because I wasn't 100% on fire all the time. So know what you mean. :)[/quote]
Yep, I understand exactly.

+J.M.J.+
great job you guys! praise God that you were able to allow the Holy Spirit to speak through you. :)

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1940338' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:59 AM']Yep, I understand exactly.[/quote]

And then we Baptists left for a place with things like Apostolic Succession? :) It's so easy to stay angry, at least for me, but I try not to be.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='BG45' post='1940397' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:40 PM']And then we Baptists left for a place with things like Apostolic Succession? :) It's so easy to stay angry, at least for me, but I try not to be.[/quote]
It's easy for me to stay angry, too, sometimes. I really need to remember to pray more.

princessgianna

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1940016' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:14 PM']"And I will lay the key of the house of David upon his shoulder: and he shall open, and none shall shut: and he shall shut, and none shall open."

Why exactly did you want him to read this?[/quote]

We hit the topic of Mt. 16:18-Papal succsession

[quote name='Spence06' post='1940018' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:14 PM']Of course not, you are redeemed! ;)[/quote]
Of course I am! :saint:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1940035' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:42 PM']Are you dead? :unsure:

eta: Yes, that quote is from me, but I can't take credit for it. I read it somewhere.[/quote]
not yet.

It's a good one to know though-thanks

[quote name='melporcristo' post='1940039' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:49 PM']JMJT+

wow.

what a story!

all I can say is PRAISE HIM for the fact that you know how to have a mature conversation with non-Catholics about the Faith. I think you did well - keep praying for those people! You never know what could happen.

About the "where's your youth minister" question - I took it as "where's your mom/dad so they can get you away from us." OR they may have thought that young people like you (I assume your under 21?) would never go to a Christian concert without having been forced to go.

Still, you did an awesome job at clarifying some things![/quote]
That is true prayer is amazing.

It wasn't exactly a Christian concert. It was Skillet and Flyleaf with other possiably "Christian rock bands". I was confused with all the "accept Jesus" to be honest.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1940320' date='Aug 4 2009, 06:55 AM']Point them to phatmass, not Catholic.com. :)[/quote]
:duh:

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1940448' date='Aug 4 2009, 01:59 PM']...
:duh:[/quote]
Don't get too upset. "Catholic.com" is easier to remember than "phatmass.com/phorum" :lol:

Marie-Therese

PG, that was awesome!!! :clap:

As a former Southern Baptist, I get so frustrated trying to have these apologetic arguments with some of my family members. Most of them think I converted just because the Catholic Church is "fancier" or I must really like the ceremony or something. However, the night I told my mother that I was converting we ended up in a 3 hour apologetics throwdown. Needless to say, she never conceded that I was right, but she at least admitted that she agreed with most of what I said. ;)

My "salvation" experience as a Baptist was very confusing...I was praying for a family member who was traveling and I had a tearful moment in prayer. At that moment I was hauled to my feet and proclaimed that I had accepted Christ. A week later I was baptized. Now, I definitely believed in Jesus and wanted to be baptized but it sort of happened by ambush almost. I spent years afterward praying the "salvation prayer" all the time, "just in case" it didn't take the first time.

"Now Lord, just to be clear, I do in fact accept you as my Saviour." LOL

But it led me to a tremendous feeling of insecurity about what salvation was exactly, and for that reason I left the faith totally for many years. God was faithful in bringing me home, and eventually, to my real home in the Catholic church.

Yay God! And Yay PG for being an awesome witness! :)

princessgianna

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1940573' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:43 PM']I definitely wouldn't have had the guts to do that -- nice work PG. Praise God.[/quote]
Holy Spirit was moving me. I just try to respond! ;)

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1940577' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:49 PM']Don't get too upset. "Catholic.com" is easier to remember than "phatmass.com/phorum" :lol:[/quote]

It's a start. I have dropped phatmass to other people but ..just the way the conversation was going!
[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1940612' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:51 PM']PG, that was awesome!!! :clap:

As a former Southern Baptist, I get so frustrated trying to have these apologetic arguments with some of my family members. Most of them think I converted just because the Catholic Church is "fancier" or I must really like the ceremony or something. However, the night I told my mother that I was converting we ended up in a 3 hour apologetics throwdown. Needless to say, she never conceded that I was right, but she at least admitted that she agreed with most of what I said. ;)

My "salvation" experience as a Baptist was very confusing...I was praying for a family member who was traveling and I had a tearful moment in prayer. At that moment I was hauled to my feet and proclaimed that I had accepted Christ. A week later I was baptized. Now, I definitely believed in Jesus and wanted to be baptized but it sort of happened by ambush almost. I spent years afterward praying the "salvation prayer" all the time, "just in case" it didn't take the first time.

But it led me to a tremendous feeling of insecurity about what salvation was exactly, and for that reason I left the faith totally for many years. God was faithful in bringing me home, and eventually, to my real home in the Catholic church.

Yay God! And Yay PG for being an awesome witness! :)[/quote]
Wow that takes guts!!!! To totally go against what your family did....at least .I have support in the home. I take them granted alot.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1940350' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:50 AM']+J.M.J.+
great job you guys! praise God that you were able to allow the Holy Spirit to speak through you. :)[/quote]

Well thanks for your and others support. Honestly I didn't feel like we made one bit of difference as we have precious little time to talk with no bible and a brain that forgot all the key points you use against sola fide.

Could have done a better job. :sadwalk:

Oh well. We did what we could. :mellow:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/john+powell/track/the+bourne+identity"]John Powell - The Bourne Identity[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Eagle-- you planted seeds. You did SOMETHING. Be proud and give glory to God for that...you could have stayed silent, and you didn't. That was what mattered. Courage for the Gospel is much more important than eloquence.

And Gina--YOU GO GIRL! :yahoo:

Archaeology cat

Eagle_Eye & PG - great job!

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1940612' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:51 PM']I spent years afterward praying the "salvation prayer" all the time, "just in case" it didn't take the first time.

But it led me to a tremendous feeling of insecurity about what salvation was exactly, and for that reason I left the faith totally for many years. God was faithful in bringing me home, and eventually, to my real home in the Catholic church.[/quote]
That's exactly what I did. All the time. It was kinda funny, when I converted and I had much more confidence and hope in salvation, despite the fact that the SBC teaches OSAS and the Church doesn't. Because it no longer hinges on getting one prayer "right", and then worrying that you weren't ever really "saved" if you ever sin again.