An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Prayer Thread Depresses Me Horribly

Hassan

Seriously.

It really makes me wish I believed in prayer or thought it could help. As it stands it's just a long list of bad or unfortunate things happening to good people to whom I can offer no substantive help.

:sadwalk:

Well. I guess simply by existing and going about my normal day I bring immeasurable joy into the world for countless people which other wise would not exist ^_^

Sorry, as this is the lame board I had to lame it up a bit :unsure:

There are also many prayers of thanksgiving, but we tend to just share those with God for some reason. When we need help, we reach wherever we can for help.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1946609' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:45 PM']Praying [i]would[/i] help. :yes:[/quote]

I would offer to pray if that made others feel better.

Selfishly though, I am still stuck with the fact that I would still feel useless.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1946608' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:43 PM']Seriously.

It really makes me wish I believed in prayer or thought it could help. As it stands it's just a long list of bad or unfortunate things happening to good people to whom I can offer no substantive help.

:sadwalk:[/quote]
what exactly ARE you?

[quote name='pat22' post='1946619' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:51 PM']what exactly ARE you?[/quote]

Are very existential question. I don't know exactly what you mean :huh:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Hassan' post='1946618' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:50 PM']I would offer to pray if that made others feel better.
[b]

Selfishly though, I am still stuck with the fact that I would still feel useless.[/b][/quote]

Good thing you wouldn't be doing it for yourself then, eh?

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1946618' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:50 PM']I would offer to pray if that made others feel better.[/quote]

If you offered to pray, and were serious, that in and of itself would make me feel better. No lie. :)

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1946622' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:52 PM']Good thing you wouldn't be doing it for yourself then, eh?[/quote]

I have two problems.

I wish to help the people who post there.

Because I cannot substantively help I feel useless and depressed. To the greatest extent I'm ever really depressed.

I don't believe in the power of prayer.

Because of that I can't really feel I am adress the first problem, which leaves leads to the second problem in place.

To the extent that an individual knowing I was praying would help them psychologically I'm perfectly willing to do it. However I still know in my head that I'm not really giving them aid. So I am still left to confront the two problems.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1946624' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:54 PM']If you offered to pray, and were serious, that in and of itself would make me feel better. No lie. :)[/quote]

Alright. I'll do it.

Although I was also thinking of other people on the Prayer Board as well. Like Lil_Red. Everybody really.

What would you (Peyton) like me to pray.

I can do Catholic, Muslim or Jewish :unsure:

I can also do Voltaire's prayer :evil:

I know you will pick Catholic, but which ones?

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1946629' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:57 PM']Alright. I'll do it.

Although I was also thinking of other people on the Prayer Board as well. Like Lil_Red. Everybody really.[/quote]

I know. I wasn't talking about just me. But I am serious that knowing you were saying a prayer would make me feel better on a personal level, not just because of myself but because I believe there would be inherent value in it for you, too.

So there.

ETA I don't care what you pray. Freestyle it. See what happens.

Edited by Marie-Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1946632' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:00 PM']What would you (Peyton) like me to pray.

I can do Catholic, Muslim or Jewish :unsure:

I can also do Voltaire's prayer :evil:

I know you will pick Catholic, but which ones?[/quote]

I can also do Anglican

Yes, I do have their "Book of Common Prayer" :mellow:

Prayer changes things, it's just that sometimes it doesn't change things the way we would like, or expect. Every now and then, just like any good Dad, he says no.