Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Do You Think Was The Best President?


Best President since 1930  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Hassan' post='1947899' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:46 AM']:no:[/quote]

He made Catholicism the religion of the State.

How much better can it get?

Nihil Obstat
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1947902' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:48 AM']He made Catholicism the religion of the State.

How much better can it get?[/quote]
A little bit less political oppression would have been nice as a start.
I don't really like his policies about women either. Liking traditional depictions of motherhood is fine, but banning them from being university professors or judges... not so much.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1947902' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:48 AM']He made Catholicism the religion of the State.

How much better can it get?[/quote]


Not being a dictator would be nice.

Posted (edited)

I must admit, though, that I don't know too much about Franco.

Did he support any policies contrary to Catholic morality?

Edited by Resurrexi
Posted

[quote name='Hassan' post='1947905' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:51 AM']Not being a dictator would be nice.[/quote]

Julius Caesar was a dictator, and he is a great hero of mine.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1947906' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:52 AM']I must admit, though, that I don't know too much about him.

Did he support any policies contrary to Catholic morality?[/quote]
Not much, but a lot of his more authoritarian tendencies were very much against the spirit of the law.

kavalamyself
Posted

Reagan for life issues.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I was wondering how long until someone picked Reagan. :)

I didn't vote because I don't know enough about most of them.

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1947908' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:55 AM']Not much, but a lot of his more authoritarian tendencies were very much against the spirit of the law.[/quote]

I guess that would probably violate the principle of subsidiarity.

Though, most liberal "Catholic" politicians today support the violation of the fifth and sixth commandments, in addition to violating the principle of subsidiarity.

:mellow:

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1947915' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:08 AM']I guess that would probably violate the principle of subsidiarity.

Though, most liberal "Catholic" politicians today support the violation of the fifth and sixth commandments, in addition to violating the principle of subsidiarity.

:mellow:[/quote]
Glad I don't have to write an essay about Franco or something. :) Complex political guy.

VeniteAdoremus
Posted

[b]Franco was a murderer, torturer, and in no way at all a nice person.[/b] That he was a [i]Catholic[/i] murderer, torturer and in no way at all a nice person doesn't say that much.

Really, I thought I was beyond getting offended about ignorance regarding European politics and history. Guess I have some mental growth to do.

goldenchild17
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1947895' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:45 AM']Franco was a great dictator.[/quote]

and one of my favorite (if not most favorite) political leaders aside from the canonized Catholic monarchs. But that really needs its own thread I think.

goldenchild17
Posted

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1947918' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:23 AM'][b]Franco was a murderer, torturer, and in no way at all a nice person.[/b] That he was a [i]Catholic[/i] murderer, torturer and in no way at all a nice person doesn't say that much.

Really, I thought I was beyond getting offended about ignorance regarding European politics and history. Guess I have some mental growth to do.[/quote]

And I thought I was beginning to get used to the liberal/commie revisionist history, but apparently its not easy to grow out of :smokey:

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1947902' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:48 AM']He made Catholicism the religion of the State.

How much better can it get?[/quote]
Did you happen to live in Spain under Franco? You probably would have loved it. Lots of people didn't, though.

LouisvilleFan
Posted (edited)

I chose Eisenhower... almost voted for Reagan, but I suspect Eisenhower is too easily overlooked. I like underdogs. A lot of landmark events occured under his administration: Alaska and Hawaii became states, the Interstate highway, integration of schools. Unfortunately, those latter two weren't executed with the best foresight, but it's easy to say that now.

FDR may be the worst President we've ever hand. He paved the way for our current presidency.

If this were for the best President ever, I'd vote Teddy Roosevelt.

Edited by LouisvilleFan
Ash Wednesday
Posted (edited)

I don't know if FDR was our "worst" -- I'm not really getting where he ties in with Obama -- I actually consider Roosevelt one of the better ones considering the fact that he had to deal with the depression and WWII on his watch.

I think Kennedy was tremendously overrated. Boy that makes people mad when I say that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ash Wednesday
Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1947959' date='Aug 13 2009, 08:19 AM']I don't know if FDR was our "worst" -- I'm not really getting where he ties in with Obama -- I actually consider Roosevelt one of the better ones considering the fact that he had to deal with the depression and WWII on his watch.

I think Kennedy was tremendously overrated. Boy that makes people mad when I say that. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I agree... he was kind of the beginning of the showy presidents, if you ask me.

It's a tossup for me between Reagan and FDR... I'll have to think about it a little more before I vote.

Interesting trivia... Gerald Ford is the only president who was never voted for, whether to the Vice Presidency or the Presidency...

Ash Wednesday
Posted (edited)

I think one of the reasons people get upset by my calling JFK overrated is because he didn't get the chance to actually do a great deal of things because he was cut down. And this is true. I'm not saying he didn't inspire people -- I think that was a good thing about him. But people need to distinguish the difference between what he symbolized, and what he actually did. I don't object to people that want to say something like "He COULD have been one of the best" -- but to actually hold him in the same category as other time-tested presidents that carried this country through wars, economic hard times, etc, well that to me is a bit much. I guess Kennedy was a very unique case and his circumstances are in a time/catgory all its own.

The main issue I have with Kennedy is the precedent he started with Catholic politicians "not letting the Vatican tell them what to do."

Edited by Ash Wednesday
Posted

Reagan was the best.

Nixon is my favorite though. There's more to learn from him, both good and bad, than all the others combined.

Posted

I also picked Ike. He was the last real leader. I still have my mom's "I like Ike" button in my jewelry box.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...