An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aspartame Toxicity

InHisLove726

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 October 2009 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1256225564' post='1989635']
I stand corrected, and that thing about sorbitol surprises me not a whit. :P I had too much in some sugarfree candies one day..... baaaaaaad stuff.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean! I ate several Sugar Free Reese's Peanut Butter cups once and...well, you can guess what happened. :topsy:

I'll never do that again... :mellow:

Edited by InHisLove726

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='23 October 2009 - 07:01 AM' timestamp='1256299312' post='1990195']
Yeah, I know what you mean! I ate several Sugar Free Reese's Peanut Butter cups once and...well, you can guess what happened. :topsy:

I'll never do that again... :mellow:
[/quote]
For me it was those 'icebreaker' candies.
I think I have PTSD after that incidence.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 October 2009 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1256303938' post='1990210']
For me it was those 'icebreaker' candies.
I think I have PTSD after that incidence.
[/quote]

:lol:

Shell shocked, maybe?

:twitch:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 October 2009 - 02:49 AM' timestamp='1256190548' post='1989513']
Isn't most sugarless hum malitol and sorbitol and xylitol? Some of those are really hard on the digestion, but not really related to aspartame at all.
My body doesn't react well to malitol. :)
[/quote]

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='22 October 2009 - 04:18 AM' timestamp='1256195925' post='1989563']
All sugarless gum either contains saccharin (Carefree gum) or aspartame. I've not been able to find any that have Splenda as a substitute.

BTW, you wanna know why sorbitol doesn't digest well?

It's used as non-stimulant laxative in medical facilities. :yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol
[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 October 2009 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1256225564' post='1989635']
I stand corrected, and that thing about sorbitol surprises me not a whit. :P I had too much in some sugarfree candies one day..... baaaaaaad stuff.
[/quote]

There are lots of types of gum out there that contain Xylitol. Many of those don't contain either saccharin or aspartame (I believe there are a few types that contain both Xylitol and saccharin or aspartame, but there are those that use only Xylitol as well). You just need to check the labels.

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='22 October 2009 - 02:12 AM' timestamp='1256199145' post='1989579']
My family friend developed an allergy to bananas as well. Anytime they eat one, their tongue gets thousands of little blisters and burns. :thumbdown:
[/quote]

I knew there was a reason not to like bananas...

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='23 October 2009 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1256311133' post='1990250']
There are lots of types of gum out there that contain Xylitol. Many of those don't contain either saccharin or aspartame (I believe there are a few types that contain both Xylitol and saccharin or aspartame, but there are those that use only Xylitol as well). You just need to check the labels.
[/quote]

I forgot about the natural brands. :blush:

There is a brand that I've bought before that's called Spry. They also make toothpaste.

[img]http://www.xylitolforyou.com/images/products/xlear-gum.jpg[/img]

However, both the gum and the toothpaste cause my gums to be sensitive, and I don't know the cause. :idontknow:

Biotene makes a gum that has xylitol in it, and I've never had any problem with it. It tastes good too. I like their mouthwashes, especially Biotene PF.

[img]http://www.dentist.net/images/biotene-gum.jpg[/img]

Edited by InHisLove726

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='23 October 2009 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1256317847' post='1990303']
I forgot about the natural brands. :blush:

There is a brand that I've bought before that's called Spry. They also make toothpaste.

However, both the gum and the toothpaste cause my gums to be sensitive, and I don't know the cause. :idontknow:

Biotene makes a gum that has xylitol in it, and I've never had any problem with it. It tastes good too. I like their mouthwashes, especially Biotene PF.

[/quote]

Asian stores often carry gum that's made with xylitol, too (they had it everywhere and in everything over in Korea). Apparently there are a couple types of Trident (and Dentyne?) that have it in there as well, but I honestly don't know which ones because I don't chew gum (I just don't really care for it... and since I never, ever do anything "diet" or "sugarfree" anyway fake sugar isn't an issue for me lol).

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='23 October 2009 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1256347688' post='1990437']
Asian stores often carry gum that's made with xylitol, too (they had it everywhere and in everything over in Korea). Apparently there are a couple types of Trident (and Dentyne?) that have it in there as well, but I honestly don't know which ones because I don't chew gum (I just don't really care for it... and since I never, ever do anything "diet" or "sugarfree" anyway fake sugar isn't an issue for me lol).
[/quote]

:lol:

I'm not supposed to chew gum either because of my mild TMJ. My jaw clicks and I get headaches when it's overworked. Interestingly enough, my TMJ is usually caused by chewing gum... :wacko:

Edited by InHisLove726

[quote name='T-Bone _' date='23 October 2009 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1256314959' post='1990275']
I knew there was a reason not to like bananas...
[/quote]

The bananas would disagree...

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:P

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='23 October 2009 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1256347688' post='1990437']
[/quote]
Those brands have xylitol, but it's in addition to sorbitol, unfortunately.