An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priest Asked Noisy Children To Leave

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='Kitty' date='04 October 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1254691266' post='1977530']
I hope this doesn't turn into another "It's ok for the Church to burn people to death" thread.
[/quote]
No! No! :hijack:

I think that the thread is actually about a priest who asked that a couple of children be taken outside during Mass.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='04 October 2009 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1254691425' post='1977535']
They'd probably taste really gross. :ohno:
[/quote]
That is a matter of opinion. :)

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='04 October 2009 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1254691451' post='1977537']
I can't believe the murder of Jan Hus is being made into a joke. :sadder:
:weep:
[/quote]
I was not making fun of the execution of Jan Hus. I was making light (pun intended) of the posted picture.

In the Eastern Churches children (including babies) receive holy communion, so their attendance at the divine liturgy is seen as very important to their spiritual growth in Christ.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='04 October 2009 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1254691430' post='1977536']
No! No! :hijack:

I think that the thread is actually about a priest who asked that a couple of children be taken outside during Mass.
[/quote]
It was ... then it took an unfortunate turn towards the macabre.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='04 October 2009 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1254691779' post='1977544']
In the Eastern Churches children (including babies) receive holy communion, so their attendance at the divine liturgy is seen as very important to their spiritual growth in Christ.
[/quote]

:yes:

The priest was wrong to ask for the removal of the children, but rather than attack him, let us pray that God enlighten him about the importance of children attending divine worship with their parents.

After all . . . Church is not just for adults.

Nihil Obstat

So how long until we start debating whether or not "Children's Liturgies of the Word" are appropriate?
:unsure:

Just wonderin', because I enjoy reading those debates.

Saying that children belong at the liturgy is not the same as saying that there should be a special class of liturgies called "children's liturgies" or "children's liturgies of the Word." Children should worship God with their parents in union with the whole Christian community where they reside.

Edited by Apotheoun

Nihil Obstat

The children's liturgies at my parish are totally lame anyway. I remember being subjected to them. Certainly not liturgical in the least; it was Christian themed daycare.

Never saw a children's liturgy until I came to Canada. Our new priests keep accidentally forgetting, and would let it go, except the nun who runs it stands up and reminds him.

I always went to mass. We had a nursery, but that was just for infants. Back in those days, there were many infants.

It would be nice, in the particular case that is the focus of this thread, for a family living in that parish to approach the priest and talk with him about how important it is for families to worship together. In that way this sad incident could be turned into an educational experience for the pastor in question.