An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Nope For Pope Ny Times Op-Ed By Maureen Dowd

StMichael

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='28 March 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1269804896' post='2082071']
The Eastern Churches have a different custom in connection with priestly celibacy (n.b., only our bishops are celibate), but the Western custom is not a secret, and no man is forced to become a priest. That said, the present difficulties are a result of the moral relativism promoted by modern culture, and the issue of celibacy - if it has any impact at all - is only of minor importance. It is interesting to note that the people who relish attacking the Church in connection with these terrible crimes are in most cases the same people who support the promiscuity of the "sexual revolution" of the 1960s.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='God Conquers' date='28 March 2010 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1269804620' post='2082068']
Fr. Theo rules.
[/quote]

Thank you, but I am not saying anything MOST of my brothers in the priesthood would not say.

geetarplayer

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='28 March 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1269804896' post='2082071']
The Eastern Churches have a different custom in connection with priestly celibacy (n.b., only our bishops are celibate), but the Western custom is not a secret, and no man is forced to become a priest. That said, the present difficulties are a result of the moral relativism promoted by modern culture, and the issue of celibacy - if it has any impact at all - is only of minor importance. It is interesting to note that the people who relish attacking the Church in connection with these terrible crimes are in most cases the same people who support the promiscuity of the "sexual revolution" of the 1960s.
[/quote]
+1

thessalonian

90+ percent of priests are faithful to their vows of celibacy. 90% + of married men are not faithful to theirs and I would submit that a higher percentage of married men committ these crimes than priests. There are twenty one million people who have been molested in the US according to the statistic of 7% of the poluation has experienced sexual abuse. These crimes are about 10,000 an less than 2% of the priests. If Ratzinger new about the priest in Wisconsin he should have passed the info along and maybe did. But as prefect for the congregation of the doctrine of the faith it was not to my knowledge a part of his job to defrock them.

Edited by thessalonian

Mommas_boy wrote one of the best posts on this issue in the thread entitled "The Lawless Roman Catholic Church."

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=103938&view=findpost&p=2081438"]Post #4[/url]

Theologian in Training

[quote name='thessalonian' date='28 March 2010 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1269808701' post='2082130']
90+ percent of priests are faithful to their vows of celibacy. 90% + of married men are not faithful to theirs and I would submit that a higher percentage of married men committ these crimes than priests. There are twenty one million people who have been molested in the US according to the statistic of 7% of the poluation has experienced sexual abuse. These crimes are about 10,000 an less than 2% of the priests. If Ratzinger new about the priest in Wisconsin he should have passed the info along and maybe did. But as prefect for the congregation of the doctrine of the faith it was not to my knowledge a part of his job to defrock them.
[/quote]

It's also not just married MEN who are unfaithful either

I must say that there is something sick about people, who - like Maureen Dowd - want to gain political advantage from the crimes committed against innocent young children by a small number of priests.

We all should deplore the sexual abuse of children, and we should seek to punish - to the fullest extent of the law - those who committed the crimes in question, but no one should try to use the crimes of a few sick men in order to gain political or social power within the Church.

Edited by Apotheoun

Vincent Vega

I nominate Maureen Dowd for pope.
She wouldn't be a pope, though...

nor a "nope"...

she'd be a Dope.

...the D coming from Dowd, of course.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

thessalonian

My statistics were actually low in my post.

http://www.darkness2light.org/knowabout/statistics_2.asp

The statistics are shocking

1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18. (96)
1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18. (96)
1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet. (30, 87)
Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under. (76)
An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today. (1)
Even within the walls of their own homes, children are at risk for sexual abuse

30-40% of victims are abused by a family member. (2, 44, 76)
Another 50% are abused by someone outside of the family whom they know and trust.
Approximately 40% are abused by older or larger children whom they know. (1, 44)
Therefore, only 10% are abused by strangers.
Sexual abuse can occur at all ages, probably younger than you think

The median age for reported abuse is 9 years old. (64)
More than 20% of children are sexually abused before the age of 8. (76)
Nearly 50% of all victims of forcible sodomy, sexual assault with an object, and forcible fondling are children under 12. (74, 76)

Well worth reading. There are 39 MILLION people who were abused as children in the US. This priest scandal is getting to much attention on that basis. The problem is much bigger in society in general and people seem to be remaining silent as there should be 10's of millions put in jail.

Edited by thessalonian

HisChildForever

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='28 March 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1269809501' post='2082137']
I nominate Maureen Dowd for pope.
She wouldn't be a pope, though...

nor a "nope"...

she'd be a Dope.

...the D coming from Dowd, of course.
[/quote]

I have awarded her with the name Dowdy Maureen. :smokey:

homeschoolmom

I think it gives non-Catholics a false sense of security when the reports are skewed towards priests. I think subconsciously they are relieved that they don't have to worry about it, since they are not associated with one of the "biggest" culprits.

LouisvilleFan

Bashing of the Op-Ed-Bashing-of-Catholicism aside, what do you all think of how our bishops have handled the crisis in most situations? The stats provided by thessalonian illustrated very well that this is a serious problem. None of us here is out to make a woman pope (least of all because it's impossible), but it is possible to disagree with how things have been handled while remaining an orthodox Catholic. Any thoughts?

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='28 March 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1269817588' post='2082237']
Bashing of the Op-Ed-Bashing-of-Catholicism aside, what do you all think of how our bishops have handled the crisis in most situations? The stats provided by thessalonian illustrated very well that this is a serious problem. None of us here is out to make a woman pope (least of all because it's impossible), but it is possible to disagree with how things have been handled while remaining an orthodox Catholic. Any thoughts?
[/quote]
I am for punishing those who did wrong, whether we are talking about the perpetrators of the sexual abuse itself, or about those who facilitated them by covering up what happened. Canon law already provides for the removal of priests who break the sixth commandment, and those canons need to be used. If a bishop covers up what has happened, he too should be punished according to the canons. Civil criminal prosecution should also be pursued.