An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Nope For Pope Ny Times Op-Ed By Maureen Dowd

StMichael

The pope has given plenty of "personal" responses in connection with this issue, and has - in those responses - described sexual abuse by priests as sacrilegious, reprehensible, shameful, and devastating, among other things.

Edited by Apotheoun

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='30 March 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1269998352' post='2083765']
The pope has given plenty of "personal" responses in connection with this issue, and has - in those responses - described sexual abuse by priests as sacrilegious, reprehensible, shameful, and devastating, among other things.
[/quote]

Yes, it's been stated in writing, and obviously I believe him. Many people are skeptical, however, and extreme measures are needed to reach out to the skeptic. I don't think it's so unreasonable that a person who is not Catholic and does not believe the Church is who we know her to be to have doubts about members of the hierarchy honestly wanting to root out this infectious sin. Reckon I understand where they are coming from.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='31 March 2010 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1270051855' post='2084070']
Yes, it's been stated in writing, and obviously I believe him. Many people are skeptical, however, and extreme measures are needed to reach out to the skeptic. I don't think it's so unreasonable that a person who is not Catholic and does not believe the Church is who we know her to be to have doubts about members of the hierarchy honestly wanting to root out this infectious sin. Reckon I understand where they are coming from.
[/quote]
The Pope has also taken time to personally meet with victims of abuse.

Honestly, what do you want him to do?

The enemies of the Church will not be satisfied with anything the Church or the Pope does. The Pope has expressed plenty of outrage and sorrow. However, there's no need to capitulate to the desires of people who desire nothing less than the total ruin of the Church.

Nihil Obstat

You know what we need? We need to hear from people who were abused, and continue to be faithful to the Church. I'm positive that they're out there, but obviously the media isn't even going to give them the time of day if they're not saying what they want them to say.
Does anyone have access to that kind of testimonial?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='31 March 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1270058180' post='2084136']
You know what we need? We need to hear from people who were abused, and continue to be faithful to the Church. I'm positive that they're out there, but obviously the media isn't even going to give them the time of day if they're not saying what they want them to say.
Does anyone have access to that kind of testimonial?
[/quote]

About half the people who were actively Catholic during the height of abuses are not longer practicing... but no doubt there are a good number who have remained faithful.

The media wants a good story and, yes, tarnishing the pristine Catholic faith is a good story.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='28 March 2010 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1269797371' post='2082006']
Wouldn't it be amazing if people had opinions based on facts and reality instead of their hatred of the church. But again it IS from the New York Tantrum...
[/quote]

That what was most evident for me while reading the article.

The 'german priest' is referred to several times, but no name, no date, nothing but 'the german priest'.
The person who wrote the article didn't even bother to research as simple a thing as a priest who by their own admission is supposed to be famous!?!?!

Article not worth reading unless read as a curiosity only.

LouisvilleFan

I got the feeling from the editorial's writing style that it was intended to be taken only half seriously.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='31 March 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1270079736' post='2084409']
I got the feeling from the editorial's writing style that it was intended to be taken only half seriously.
[/quote]
Which is one half more seriously than such asinine tripe deserves to be taken.

Worthwhile only as toilet paper.

melporcristo

[quote name='God Conquers' date='31 March 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1270086147' post='2084461']
Dear Maureen Dowd:

Nope.
[/quote]

:sweat:

True dat.

Marie-Therese

Well, I suppose we should take comfort in the fact that the Church is being attacked. If Satan found us to be no threat, we'd be sitting pretty with few concerns and probably plenty of public goodwill.

That's not to be construed as any defense of sexual predators, of course. They should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. However, the Church is always a target, and these scandals are just another way for the media to unload with both barrels. I pray that His Holiness is strengthened in this time of suffering and persecution and that it draws down many graces, for those who were abused, for the souls of the abusers, and for the salvation of the Church.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='JoanChittister' date='01 April 2010 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1270143008' post='2084867']
Oh, Maureen Dowd, what a breath of fresh air!
[/quote]

I welcome you to Phatmass.

I noticed that you introduced yourself as THE Sr. Joan Chittister in the Check in thread. Be advised, however, that this site prides itself on being orthodox and faithful in complete submission to the Holy Father and to the Magisterium. Topics that you have publicly advocated, such as the ordination of women to the priesthood, are in direct opposition to orthodox Catholic belief.