An Old School Catholic Message Board

Affirmative Action

Amppax

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304524616' post='2236856']I think it may still be needed, because there is still a significant amount of racism in this country, but am hopeful that we are quickly moving in a direction where it won't be needed.[/quote]
Respectfully agreed. Women in the United States, moreover here, have had a disadvantage in education and employment. Interests, programs, and scholarships aimed at helping women is still needed.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304528254' post='2236894']I think it is wrong, however I also believe that employers have the right to hire or fire by any criteria they choose.[/quote]
So argumentatively, people could discriminate against Catholics or religious people, effectively making Catholics second class citizens. The more I read about your opinions the more I want to scream, ANARCHIST! That and I think you would fit right in at Rapture.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304531057' post='2236911']What about webmasters? Do they have a right to allow or disallow access to their website by whatever criteria they choose? I'd like to see you show more support for this philosophy.[/quote]
There is no law that says you have to Dust.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304531181' post='2236914']Legality ≠ morality.[/quote]
So the law shouldn't be involved in morality or ethics eh? So I suppose these people mixing morality of abortion with the legality of freedom should knock it off? People should freely choose if they want to have abortions or not, kill or people or not, steal from other people or not. Hopefully you are not as extreme to really think that Legality ≠ morality.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304531579' post='2236923']So, racism is a legal issue, not a moral one? I'm confused.[/quote]
I am too.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304531983' post='2236932']Racism is morally wrong. That doesn't make it right to legislate affirmative action.[/quote]
Because people ALWAYS choose the moral thing to do, what a naive mentality.

Nihil Obstat

Just because some people don't seem to understand, the ≠ symbol means "does not equal". To use that in common discourse would mean that something is not the same as something else. It does not mean (as was so ridiculously implied) that the two concepts being discussed have no relation to each other. It means they are not the same.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304533432' post='2236941']Just because some people don't seem to understand, the ≠ symbol means "does not equal". To use that in common discourse would mean that something is not the same as something else. It does not mean (as was so ridiculously implied) that the two concepts being discussed have no relation to each other. It means they are not the same.[/quote]
It's quite a valid question to ask, since you appear to me as an anarchist... You were arguing that while discrimination was immoral, that it shouldn't be a matter of law. So just because you disagree with someone and dislike them, isn't valid reason in the slightest to belittle someone or call them a troll. But then again, I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Have you ignored me, per Lil Red's recommendation?

Edited by dUSt

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304531983' post='2236932']
Racism is morally wrong. That doesn't make it right to legislate affirmative action.
[/quote]
So, in that same line of thinking...

Abortion is morally wrong. That doesn't make it right to legislate abortion laws.

How is that an argument?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304534420' post='2236948']
So, in that same line of thinking...

Abortion is morally wrong. That doesn't make it right to legislate abortion laws.

How is that an argument?
[/quote]
That would be an incorrect conclusion. Abortion is murder. Laws against murder are perfectly permissible.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1304533821' post='2236943']

Have you ignored me, per Lil Red's recommendation?
[/quote]
Lil Red is a lovely person and I'm very fond of her, but she's not my mommy.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304535460' post='2236958']Laws against murder are perfectly permissible.
[/quote]
Which would be...laws legislating morality, right?
I'm genuinely curious how you reconcile these seemingly contradictory views.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1304535615' post='2236963']
Which would be...laws legislating morality, right?
I'm genuinely curious how you reconcile these seemingly contradictory views.
[/quote]
I didn't say any law is impermissible because it is a law, or because it deals with morality.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304535460' post='2236958']
That would be an incorrect conclusion. Abortion is murder. Laws against murder are perfectly permissible.
[/quote]

Why?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1304535769' post='2236969']
Why?
[/quote]
Not interested in talking to you about this again.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1304531777' post='2236929']
Poll is too simplistic. I won't vote.
[/quote]

apologies, I would have created an other, but I kind of made it on the fly, after i made it i realized that it was probably not extensive enough.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304535460' post='2236958']
[/quote]
Sorry, let me retry.

Rape is morally wrong. That doesn't make it right to legislate laws against rape.

So do you agree with that?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304536006' post='2236973']
Sorry, let me retry.

Rape is morally wrong. That doesn't make it right to legislate laws against rape.

So do you agree with that?
[/quote]
Dissentio.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304535677' post='2236965']
I didn't say any law is impermissible because it is a law, or because it deals with morality.
[/quote]

Ok, well where do you draw the line?