An Old School Catholic Message Board

Affirmative Action

Amppax

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

i wasn't spewing hate. that was you, if anyone.
i'd be happy to explain it all to you, but i dont think you'd be able to civilly rationally engage in dialogue about it. maybe i'm wrong about that point.
again, you need to rethink a lot of things.

cmotherofpirl

I don't think it makes sense to discriminate against people today because people discriminated in the past. I also don't think it makes ANY sense to say well of 100 people we have to hire 5 minorities to meet some made-up quota. What if 10 exceptionally qualified minorities show up ? You only have to hire 5 and then 5 good people miss out on a job.
Why not just hire or admit or whatever the best qualified people that meet the criteria of the job? And who gets to decide who is a "minority"? What of a person of mixed ancestry? Do you then reserve a number of slots for people who are mixtures of various groups? This maybe sounds like nit-picking but it isn't. On a geneology forum we were recently were discussing DNA ethnicity testing, and evidently some people are doing it to claim minority status to get scholarships designated for specific groups, such as Native Americans. They don't look Indian, were not raised on reservations but can claim inidan ancestry just to get special status. THat is just BS.

[quote name='penguin31' timestamp='1304548996' post='2237164']
At some point in the whole thing I think I managed to even get myself turned around. The point stands, though: If you're treating one race better than another, or one race worse than another - it's racism, plain and simple.
[/quote]
You need to read the post Dust made a few post up. Godbless and Peace be with you !

2[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1304549811' post='2237173']
wasn't spewing hate. that was you, if anyone.
i'd be happy to explain it all to you, but i dont think you'd be able to civilly rationally engage in dialogue about it. maybe i'm wrong about that point.
again, you need to rethink a lot of things.
[/quote]
lol really dude ? Your comments were the most racist and hatefull comments I've read. You need not explian anything too me. As Dust said I am glad you are not catholic. Although I wish you the best and wish no evil on you. Godbless.

dairygirl4u2c

at least as far as college admissions go, the court also said that quantitative quotas are not constitutional. only qualitatively and holistically looking at the person's race, all else being equal.
that's not so bad.
it sounds like cmother and the nursing situation, had the old school affirmative action happen, when it was about quantitative quotas, and selecting even when the person was less qualified simply because they were a minority.
it sounds like the girl who had the u of michigan thing, might have been because of all else being equal, go for race, qualitatively. not sure, could be wrong

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1304549833' post='2237174']
I don't think it makes sense to discriminate against people today because people discriminated in the past. I also don't think it makes ANY sense to say well of 100 people we have to hire 5 minorities to meet some made-up quota. What if 10 exceptionally qualified minorities show up ? You only have to hire 5 and then 5 good people miss out on a job.
Why not just hire or admit or whatever the best qualified people that meet the criteria of the job? And who gets to decide who is a "minority"? What of a person of mixed ancestry? Do you then reserve a number of slots for people who are mixtures of various groups? This maybe sounds like nit-picking but it isn't. On a geneology forum we were recently were discussing DNA ethnicity testing, and evidently some people are doing it to claim minority status to get scholarships designated for specific groups, such as Native Americans. They don't look Indian, were not raised on reservations but can claim inidan ancestry just to get special status. THat is just BS.
[/quote]
Did you read what Dust posted just about names alone ?

Again, i agree with everybody saying that we can't live in the past, and can't truly make up for past wrongs. I UNDERSTAND. My take on this is different then yours however. No we can't make up for past wrongs, but we can prevent future ones! We can take positive steps to reduce racism, and part of that is TRYING to make up for wrongs. There can't be reconciliation without forgiveness. If someone in my family had killed someone, i know i would try to make up for it, even though there is absolutely nothing i could do. i believe it is the same principle, only on a larger scale.

I have no problem with a "less qualified" black person getting selected for a job over a "more qualified" white person. Qualification is not just about resumes or GPAs. If you take a black person raised in the ghetto, with horrible schools, with a family history of poverty, and then compare them to a white kid raised in a rich neighborhood with a wealthy family, chances are, that white kid may be "more qualified" than that black person. Of course he would be! Look at the opportunities he's had in comparison! So, when you talk about "qualifications", it doesn't even begin to start off on a level playing field.

Like I said earlier, it's not about punishing white people for their ancestors sins, and it's not about holding down the white man (laughable), it's about[b] leveling the playing field today[/b]. Forget about slavery and what that did for a second. The Jim Crow laws that came after slavery were majorly flawed. They created hyper-segregation, and established a culture of poverty for blacks. A culture which still exists today. So, as soon as you can prove to me that today's inner city black kids have all of the same opportunities, and all of the same access to good schools, only then can you start talking to me about "same qualifications".

Also, have you ever thought about what it takes for a black person to have the "same qualifications" as a white person. Realistically? Wouldn't it be safe to assume, depending on the most probable scenario, that the average black person would have to work a lot harder than the average white person to achieve those "same qualifications"? Is [b]that[/b] fair? Why should black people have to work harder to achieve the same results? Not fair at all if you ask me.

Honestly, affirmative action not being "fair" to white people just sounds so ridiculous to me.

The whole purpose of affirmative action is to help black people escape from the culture of poverty and to assimilate back into the rest of society. If that means a few less qualified people get jobs over the more privileged, so be it. It's only correcting the wrongs that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1304542679' post='2237052']
Dude black people couldn't even use the same bathroom or drink out of the same waterfountian as whites. They deserve any small benefits they may get now. That being said there are poor people of every race that are treated like croutons. But black people were singled out bad in this country.
[/quote]

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1304542931' post='2237055']
ha, i was just gonna write something similar to this, but mine was gonna be rude....

oh, heck, I'll just say this...

when your race is singled out for centuries, treated like animals, whipped, hunted, hated, hung and butchered, ...

Then come back and say something about what you think about affirmative action....
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I thought the struggles from 1860 to the the late 70s and beyond were about [u]equality[/u], not [u]superiority[/u].

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1304543056' post='2237059']
That was an awful thing, but the generation of blacks growing up now didn't have to put up with it and the generation of whites growing up now did not cause it.
[/quote]
Exactly. The atrocities that befell colored people for decades upon decades in this Country were horrifying and detestable. But why should I be punished and have to pay a for the transgressions of other white people who lived more than a century ago, especially considering that a very small proportion of my ancestors were even in this country, and an even smaller proportion were slaveholders (and certainly many, dare I say most, white Americans' ancestors weren't even on this continent during the time of slavery)?

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1304551841' post='2237188']
Again, i agree with everybody saying that we can't live in the past, and can't truly make up for past wrongs. I UNDERSTAND. My take on this is different then yours however. No we can't make up for past wrongs, but we can prevent future ones! We can take positive steps to reduce racism, and part of that is TRYING to make up for wrongs. There can't be reconciliation without forgiveness. If someone in my family had killed someone, i know i would try to make up for it, even though there is absolutely nothing i could do. i believe it is the same principle, only on a larger scale.
[/quote]

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304551911' post='2237189']
I have no problem with a "less qualified" black person getting selected for a job over a "more qualified" white person. Qualification is not just about resumes or GPAs. If you take an a black person raised in the ghetto, with horrible schools, with a family history of poverty, and then compare them to a white kid raised in a rich neighborhood with a wealthy family, chances are, that white kid may be "more qualified" than that black person. Of course he would be! Look at the opportunities he's had in comparison! So, when you talk about "qualifications", it doesn't even begin to start off on a level playing field.

Like I said earlier, it's not about punishing white people for their ancestors sins, and it's not about holding down the white man (laughable), it's about[b] leveling the playing field today[/b]. Forget about slavery and what that did. The Jim Crow laws that came after slavery were majorly flawed. They created hyper-segregation, and established a culture of poverty for blacks. A culture which still exists today. So, as soon as you can prove to me that today's inner city black kids have all of the same opportunities, and all of the same access to good schools, only then can you start talking to me about "same qualifications".
[/quote]
:like:

MissScripture

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304546265' post='2237117']
I don't see it as discrimination at all. If a company has 100 employees, and is required by law that say five of them are black, how is that discriminating against whites? There are 95 positions that white person has an opportunity to land.

A study conducted at the University of Chicago in 2003* found that people with "black-sounding" names such as Lakisha and Jamal are 50 percent less likely to be interviewed for a job compared to people with "white-sounding" names such as Emily or Greg.[b] 50 percent less likely[/b] to get an interview. I can only imagine how this number translates to actual interviews when the person shows up face to face. And that is 2003, not 1963.

Calling affirmative action "discriminating against whites" may hold up as a theory, but if we are judging based on [b]actual reality[/b], then that claim is pretty bunk.

* [size="1"]Study source: http://economics.uchicago.edu/download/_DISCRIMINATION.pdf[/size]
[/quote]
I wonder if this will change at all in the future with more and more unique names being given and fewer "traditional" and "white" sounding names? Although, I suppose if it does, people will just say that folks are less racist than they were.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1304552122' post='2237190']
I'm sorry, I thought the struggles from 1860 to the the late 70s and beyond were about [u]equality[/u], not [u]superiority[/u].

Exactly. The atrocities that befell colored people for decades upon decades in this Country were horrifying and detestable. But why should I be punished and have to pay a for the transgressions of other white people who lived more than a century ago, especially considering that a very small proportion of my ancestors were even in this country, and an even smaller proportion were slaveholders (and certainly many, dare I say most, white Americans' ancestors weren't even on this continent during the time of slavery)?
[/quote]
" colored people ?? " lol wow I'm gonna go workout and go play cards. Some of you are blinded and I don't see how cause you're smart people. Godbless ya !

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1304552461' post='2237195']
" colored people ?? " lol wow I'm gonna go workout and go play cards. Some of you are blinded and I don't see how cause you're smart people. Godbless ya !
[/quote]
Yes, colored people, a term that includes people of African origin, Caribbean origin, Latino (including native Mesoamerican and mestizo peoples), Asians, and all other non-white people, all of whom were discriminated against for many years. I fail to see how including the hardships of people other then solely blacks makes me "blinded".

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1304552122' post='2237190']
But why should I be punished and have to pay a for the transgressions of other white people who lived more than a century ago, especially considering that a very small proportion of my ancestors were even in this country, and an even smaller proportion were slaveholders (and certainly many, dare I say most, white Americans' ancestors weren't even on this continent during the time of slavery)?
[/quote]
Listen to what you are saying.

Why should you be punished. Do you not think black people are still being punished for the results of slavery and segregation?

Believe me, I understand completely the thought of "being punished" for the sins of your ancestors. Forget that. Let's just look at today. If you can honestly say that black people today are unaffected by what happened during slavery and then the laws following slavery, then you completely have a point. All laws should be equal.

But you can't say that.

So, to answer your question. Why should you be punished and pay today? [b]Because black people are still being punished and are still paying today.[/b]

How can you just say "not my problem" to them?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1304552861' post='2237198']
Yes, colored people, a term that includes people of African origin, Caribbean origin, Latino (including native Mesoamerican and mestizo peoples), Asians, and all other non-white people, all of whom were discriminated against for many years. I fail to see how including the hardships of people other then solely blacks makes me "blinded".
[/quote]
I think you're blinded if you can't see the points Dust is making. And a big lol at calling them colored people. That's on you though. Peace bro.