An Old School Catholic Message Board

Affirmative Action

Amppax

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

HopefulBride

Why did I pick today to leave work early? Wish I had more than just my phone to respond with.

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1304545577' post='2237095']
Unfortunately, there's still a lot of discrimination in a lot of countries...Not just racism either. It seems in our nature to harbour a mistrust to people we consider 'different', whether we mean to or not. However, despite its good intentions, I don't think that affirmative action is the right approach to tackling this. I feel that it does more harm than good, for example if someone loses out on a job or a university placement because they have the wrong skin colour or are the wrong gender and don't fit into the 'quota' they're perhaps going to feel bitterly towards minorities because they got the place instead. I'm not going to say that that is the right response, but it happens. I've seen it happen.

Just a thought.
[/quote]
Then that said person needs to take a step back and realise there is a reason for what is happening. Be mad at america not the black dude who got the job. Amercia made them slaves and hated them because of their skin color. They deserve whatever benefits they receive now. I think black people are pretty cool. If I were black and my family was treated the way theses peoples family were treated I would have a lot of hate built up in me for america. And you do see this but for the most part I find that black people are pretty cool about what has happened and willing to forgive and move on. I think it says a lot about their character and closeness and love for God. Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1304545738' post='2237104']
Really good points, but I don't understand the logic behind compensating for descriminating against people because of their skin colour by discriminating against people because of their skin colour.
[/quote]
I don't see it as discrimination at all. If a company has 100 employees, and is required by law that say five of them are black, how is that discriminating against whites? There are 95 positions that white person has an opportunity to land.

A study conducted at the University of Chicago in 2003* found that people with "black-sounding" names such as Lakisha and Jamal are 50 percent less likely to be interviewed for a job compared to people with "white-sounding" names such as Emily or Greg.[b] 50 percent less likely[/b] to get an interview. I can only imagine how this number translates to actual interviews when the person shows up face to face. And that is 2003, not 1963.

Calling affirmative action "discriminating against whites" may hold up as a theory, but if we are judging based on [b]actual reality[/b], then that claim is pretty bunk.

* [size="1"]Study source: http://economics.uchicago.edu/download/_DISCRIMINATION.pdf[/size]

ParadiseFound

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1304546095' post='2237112']
Then that said person needs to take a step back and realise there is a reason for what is happening. Be mad at america not the black dude who got the job. Amercia made them slaves and hated them because of their skin color. They deserve whatever benefits they receive now. I think black people are pretty cool. If I were black and my family was treated the way theses peoples family were treated I would have a lot of hate built up in me for america. And you do see this but for the most part I find that black people are pretty cool about what has happened and willing to forgive and move on. I think it says a lot about their character and closeness and love for God. Just my 2 cents.
[/quote]
I understand what you mean, and like I said it's not the right response, but unfortunately it does happen.

ParadiseFound

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1304546265' post='2237117']
I don't see it as discrimination at all. If a company has 100 employees, and is required by law that say five of them are black, how is that discriminating against whites? There are 95 positions that white person has an opportunity to land.

A study conducted at the University of Chicago in 2003* found that people with "black-sounding" names such as Lakisha and Jamal are 50 percent less likely to be interviewed for a job compared to people with "white-sounding" names such as Emily or Greg.[b] 50 percent less likely[/b] to get an interview. I can only imagine how this number translates to actual interviews when the person shows up face to face. And that is 2003, not 1963.

Calling affirmative action "discriminating against whites" may hold up as a theory, but if we are judging based on [b]actual reality[/b], then that claim is pretty bunk.

* [size="1"]Study source: http://economics.uchicago.edu/download/_DISCRIMINATION.pdf[/size]
[/quote]
Oh my, I didn't know that. Affirmative action makes a lot more sense now that the statistics have put it into perspective.

I guess I was putting to much faith into human beings not being totally ignorant and irrational. I should have learned not to do that by now :P

* [size="1"]Study source: [url="http://economics.uchicago.edu/download/_DISCRIMINATION.pdf"]http://economics.uch...CRIMINATION.pdf[/url][/size]
[/quote]

thanks for the source dUSt, that is now on my "to read" list!

[/quote]
Wow that is pretty crazy.

And to keep it 100 I think black people deserve a lot from this country. But they will never see it. I mean really skin color is nothing anyways and were all Gods children but were so quick to forget the past. America is corrupt though. It kills its babies and it hated a race based on color. I mean id rather live here then a lot of places but I see this country for what it is. And that's no disrespect to the people who defend it and have lost their lives in battle. There are aspects of this country that are very good. But also aspects that are very evil. Like Jesus said be not of this world. To love this world is to make yourself an enemy of God. And america is the world that's for sure.

Edited by Guest

penguin31

Actions, conduct, or treatment of the members of a race in a way that's preferential or detrimental in comparison to the treatment of members of a different race with otherwise the same qualifications. It's the very literal definition of racist behavior, and sins of the past do NOT justify sins in the present or the future. Period.

Edited by penguin31

[quote name='penguin31' timestamp='1304548556' post='2237158']
Actions, conduct, or treatment of the members of a race or the race itself in a way that's preferential in comparison to the treatment of members of a different race with otherwise the same qualifications. It's the very literal definition of racism, and sins of the past do NOT justify sins in the present or the future. Period.
[/quote]
LOL !

dairygirl4u2c

the way it's suppose to be done in practice isn't the bad. the supreme court said they can only take race into consideration, at least as far as college admissions, when all else is equal.
i'd guess that's how it works at jobs and such, but i'm not sure.
if that's the case, it's not so bad. we do have to address the discrimination that occurs to them, some how. though as time goes by, it's more and more just the way things are, it's not about discrimination.
sure, sometimes it won't quite be fair, but on balance the way it's suppose to be done isn't so bad.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

penguin31

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1304548814' post='2237161']
LOL !
[/quote]

At some point in the whole thing I think I managed to even get myself turned around. The point stands, though: If you're treating one race better than another, or one race worse than another - it's racism, plain and simple.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1304548200' post='2237155']
And dairygirl4u2c I hope you don't chime in cause we all know how your racist butt feels about this.
[/quote]

you should just be quiet. you don't know what you're talking about, as usual. a very simple character indeed.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1304548929' post='2237163']
the way it's suppose to be done in practice isn't the bad. the supreme court said they can only take race into consideration, at least as far as college admissions, when all else is equal.
i'd guess that's how it works at jobs and such, but i'm not sure.
if that's the case, it's not so bad. we do have to address the discrimination that occurs to them, some how. though as time goes by, it's more and more just the way things are, it's not about discrimination.
[/quote]
I don't even know how you have the nerve to respond in threads like these with the hate you spewed in that other thread. 0 respect for you. PRAYERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Guest