An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is God A Moral Monster?

Mr.Cat

How many people has god killed, according to the Bible?

[url="http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/04/drunk-with-blood-gods-killings-in-bible.html"]http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/04/drunk-with-blood-gods-killings-in-bible.html[/url]

What is more violent, the Bible or the Quran?

[url="http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2006/06/which-is-more-violent-bible-or-quran.html"]http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2006/06/which-is-more-violent-bible-or-quran.html[/url]

Cruelty and violence in the Bible?

[url="http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html"]http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html[/url]

Some thoughts for consideration.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

If sourcing verifiable facts is argumentative, then I am willing to concede that my post is argumentative. If it is anti-christian to have concerns about these sort of verses in the Bible, then I am willing to concede it is anti-christian.

It deserves adequate consideration and response, to reject it merely because its uncomfortable to consider or address, is disturbing and dishonest.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Laudate_Dominum

Go start your own thread in teh debate board if you want to discuss/debate all that. As far as I'm concerned you're flame baiting. Please leave me alone.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1311318829' post='2273660']Go start your own thread in teh debate board if you want to discuss/debate all that. As far as I'm concerned you're flame baiting. Please leave me alone.[/quote]If you don't want to reply to it, here is a hint, don't reply to it. I understand how difficult that might be. Flame baiting assumes the want to start an argument, which was not the intention, but you have decided to take the time to turn this personal.

It is relevant and on topic. You may call it whatever you like, it is a valid concern and does deserve addressing by Catholic theology/doctrine.

Is this the only response for those sincerely concerned about these sort of matters in the Bible? That it's flame bait?

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

I think there is a good discussion to be had here.
I have never read the bible so have only heard of bits of it.

But..

Stories about god setting a couple of she-bears onto a group of children for teasing a man about his bald head. How is this reasoned?
If a person did that in our society they would be scorned as a horrific monster and would be locked up for a very long time.

I understand that Christians take god as being perfect and all loving and hence come up with a reasoning which tries to align with that. God always gets the benefit of the doubt, and hence can do pretty much anything, including killing all the people, all the animals, all the plants of the entire world except two of each. Then this story is glorified and seen as a significant good that god has done.

I once heard a mom scream at her son that she brought him into the world, and she could take him right out if she wanted to. If God is the creator, he can alter his creation as he sees fit.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1311373432' post='2274010']
I think there is a good discussion to be had here.
I have never read the bible so have only heard of bits of it.

But..

Stories about god setting a couple of she-bears onto a group of children for teasing a man about his bald head. How is this reasoned?
If a person did that in our society they would be scorned as a horrific monster and would be locked up for a very long time.

I understand that Christians take god as being perfect and all loving and hence come up with a reasoning which tries to align with that. God always gets the benefit of the doubt, and hence can do pretty much anything, including killing all the people, all the animals, all the plants of the entire world except two of each. Then this story is glorified and seen as a significant good that god has done.
[/quote]
it wasn't just two of each animal. It was six of each, i think. More animals for sacrifice.

ceciliatherese

was wondering the same thing, I've never really gotten an actual response from it each other, most people say I'm taking it out of context, but then wont give me the reasoning when it is in context.

Brother Adam

I agree L_D's response is very strange. However, I don't know what you think, just what your document dump thinks, which is no way to really start a conversation. When you say "If sourcing verifiable facts is argumentative, then I am willing to concede that my post is argumentative. If it is anti-christian to have concerns about these sort of verses in the Bible, then I am willing to concede it is anti-christian." it makes me think you really aren't interested in a genuine conversation at all, but are just angry with the Church you once called home.

Your question (accusation) is almost as old as the Church itself (almost as old as 'why do bad things happen to good people?' and 'how can God let children die?') and is dealt with in the Catechism, writings of the Fathers, and in many contemporaries. The answer, by the way, has to do with the nature of God's relationship to man, but I think all of the scholars and other Catholics want to know that you want an answer before getting into a long debate.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1311384764' post='2274117']
I agree L_D's response is very strange. However, I don't know what you think, just what your document dump thinks, which is no way to really start a conversation. When you say "If sourcing verifiable facts is argumentative, then I am willing to concede that my post is argumentative.
[/quote]
This thread was made by the mods who split it from a thread of mine in Transmundane.

The thread: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=114230"]Is God a Moral Monster?[/url]

What the mods said.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1311366042' post='2273960']
Some posts in this thread have been split off and put in the Debate Table for those interested in debate. If you wish to debate, please go there.

Thank you,

MIKolbe
[/quote]

So no, I didn't randomly respond in this thread. This is my first post here. I don't think my above comment should have been included in the split, but that's just me.

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

I think its hard to understand. If I didn't believe in the God of the Bible I would without a doubt use the old testement as the reason why. But I do believe in the God of the Bible and I've experienced His love and grace. He's good. And I hope this isn't blaspemous or taken wrong but I think Him coming here and taking human flesh and realising our weaknesses made Him even more loving and forgiving towards us. To the point of laying His life down for us on the cross so we could come into friendship with Him.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1311318829' post='2273660']
Go start your own thread in teh debate board if you want to discuss/debate all that. As far as I'm concerned you're flame baiting. Please leave me alone.
[/quote]

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1311367654' post='2273969']
Laudate_Dominum, why did you just randomly respond to this topic? Are you stalking me?
[/quote]
I think you were aware that this and the thread in TL were once one thread. Why make comments to derail this thread?

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1311384764' post='2274117']
I agree L_D's response is very strange. [/quote]
I'm sure you'd agree, it wasn't strange in light of this:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1311405228' post='2274252']
This thread was made by the mods who split it from a thread of mine in Transmundane.

The thread: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=114230"]Is God a Moral Monster?[/url]

What the mods said.

So no, I didn't randomly respond in this thread. This is my first post here. I don't think my above comment should have been included in the split, but that's just me.
[/quote]

Since God would be The Good, it's impossible for God to be immoral. Your morality and the laws laid down for humans need not apply to God. This question was settled in ancient philosophy.

Mr.CatholicCat,

I didn't know you were an atheist now, but I suggest you read St. Paul's letter to the Romans, where he talks about the inscrutable mystery of God's will. But read the whole letter, because it's important to understand the whole letter in context. I read it recently and it is very profound for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

A big theme in the letter is Abraham as our model of faith. Recall that God told Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, and Abraham was going to do it in faith, but God stopped him at the last minute. Now in response to your question, "Is God a moral monster," I will only point out that what God did not require of Abraham, he carried out himself. God did not require Abraham to sacrifice his son, but God himself did send his only-begotten son to be sacrificed. We cannot even begin to try and understand the Old Testament unless the Cross of Christ is put at the center of the discussion.

[quote]What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So it depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy. For the scripture says to Pharaoh, "I have raised you up for the very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth." So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" But who are you, a man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me thus?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for beauty and another for menial use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience the vessels of wrath made for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for the vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory, even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

As indeed he says in Hosea, "Those who were not my people I will call 'my people,' and her who was not beloved I will call 'my beloved.'" And in the very place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,' they will be called `sons of the living God.'"

--Romans 9:14-26[/quote]
Some people will read this and conclude that God is unjust and a "moral monster." But not me. Don't get me wrong, what St. Paul is saying here is not easy to take. But when I read this, I am completely humbled at the absolute irrelevance of my own will. That is the entire message of the Gospel: our relationship to God is an act of absolute abandonment, and this is what we call faith. Not only can we not will ourselves to heaven, but we cannot even will ourselves to being loved by God. We can only abandon ourselves to him, and in doing so we are following the example of Abraham, and the example of Christ, because nobody has ever abandoned themselves to God more than Christ.

:)

Edited by Era Might