An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1339471171' post='2443741']
My (blood) sister's name is 'Faith' which doesn't seem to be a common Catholic name. I thought of being 'Sr Faith' but that would get confusing with my sister. Regardless, I love that people on here are thinking of incorporating the virtues of hope, grace, etc into their name!
[/quote]

I totally forgot about Sr Faith Cecilia! Nevermind. :)

Sr. Jean-Marie of Christ the High Priest. It's already been chosen. Next step, tell Mother Regina that it has already been chosen and she doesn't have to pick one. Haha yeah! Thatll give her a laugh.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Mine got picked for me! Haha, 171 knows! Sr. Margaret Grace of the Sacred Heart!

AveMariaPurissima

Sr. Maria Trinitata of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus

Edited by AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1339628680' post='2444403']
Sr. Maria Trinitata of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus
[/quote]

How fitting since you're entering the Trinitarians of Mary! I love that name. Do you know the community's process of choosing a name?

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1339631367' post='2444416']
How fitting since you're entering the Trinitarians of Mary! I love that name. Do you know the community's process of choosing a name?
[/quote]
As best I can recall from when I asked that question a couple years ago (I have so much to learn still!), the choice of a name is discussed between Mother and the Sister involved, then it's ultimately Mother's decision. So I think you do get some input in the selection of a name.
However, I have some things I'm not sure of in terms of coming up with ideas for names. First of all, I don't know all the Sisters yet, so I don't know all the names that are already taken. Also, I don't know if I would have to think in terms of Spanish names (For example, an English speaking community, you could have a Sr. Thérèse, a Sr. Teresa, and a Sr. Teresita. However, since the community is predominantly Spanish-speaking, it seems to me like there might only be a Sr. Teresa, who would probably end up getting called Sr. Teresita sometimes. I'm not completely sure though.) Also, I'm not 100% sure whether or not we use titles. I think we do, though, since there's a Sr. María de Jesús (Mary of Jesus) and a Sr. María de Carmen. I also seem to remember Sr. Inés telling me that her full religious name was Sr. Mary Inés of the Mother of God.

(Sorry for such a rambling post!)

• 3 weeks later...

When you receive your religious name, is it awkward for your parents to start calling you that on family visits??

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1339633048' post='2444428']
As best I can recall from when I asked that question a couple years ago (I have so much to learn still!), the choice of a name is discussed between Mother and the Sister involved, then it's ultimately Mother's decision. So I think you do get some input in the selection of a name.
However, I have some things I'm not sure of in terms of coming up with ideas for names. First of all, I don't know all the Sisters yet, so I don't know all the names that are already taken. Also, I don't know if I would have to think in terms of Spanish names (For example, an English speaking community, you could have a Sr. Thérèse, a Sr. Teresa, and a Sr. Teresita. However, since the community is predominantly Spanish-speaking, it seems to me like there might only be a Sr. Teresa, who would probably end up getting called Sr. Teresita sometimes. I'm not completely sure though.) Also, I'm not 100% sure whether or not we use titles. I think we do, though, since there's a Sr. María de Jesús (Mary of Jesus) and a Sr. María de Carmen. I also seem to remember Sr. Inés telling me that her full religious name was Sr. Mary Inés of the Mother of God.

(Sorry for such a rambling post!)
[/quote]

Sweet-I didn't think you were rambling. :)

OnlySunshine

I told my Mom the other day about the religious names I really loved. I think that I'm only going to be able to pick out one name instead of having two like Sr. Mary Elizabeth. I found out that the religious order I am discerning with allows the new novices to select their name and it can be either your baptismal name or a new religious name. So, I said that I loved these names:

Sr. Elizabeth
Sr. Isabelle
Sr. Bethany

I love my baptismal name, as well, because it's old-fashioned, but I always liked the idea of taking on a new name in religious life. Especially after reading what St. Paul wrote:

[i]You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. -- [b]Ephesians 4:22-24[/b][/i]

When putting on the habit, you are clothing yourself with the garment of the order and of Christ (putting on the full armor of God). I think it only appropriate that the name should change as well to leave the old life behind. When I think of Saul becoming Paul, Simon becoming Peter, and Abram becoming Abraham, their mission had changed in life. I want to be just like them -- out with the old, in with the new!

BTW, my Mom loves Sr. Isabelle. Her face lit up when I said that. :hehe2:

I'm actually leaning towards Sr. Bethany even more now because it includes both my favorite St. Elizabeth and my confirmation saint Anne. It was also the place where Lazarus was raised from the dead. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Strictlyinkblot

I've been thinking about Sr. Chiara Amata of the Holy Face to reflect my two favourite saints and a Blessed that I've only lately gotten to know.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1341281138' post='2451745']
I've been thinking about Sr. Chiara Amata of the Holy Face to reflect my two favourite saints and a Blessed that I've only lately gotten to know.
[/quote]

That'd be really pretty. Chiara means "light" and Amata means "beloved." :-)

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1341281138' post='2451745']
[/quote]
I love both of those names! I claim St. Amata as my name saint, so it and Kateri are both on my radar as possible names. The sweet, old priest at my parish calls me Kateri because she's my Confirmation saint :love: A Poor Clare abbess jokingly told me that she'd have to call me Chiara because (Clare was taken and) I'd have had to run away from home to visit let alone enter.

Strictlyinkblot

Well my real name means dream or vision which is kind of like light (okay, I'm stretching here). I love St. Therese but I was praying a few weeks ago, the kind of lazy prayer where your mind keeps wandering and what the then Pope said to Dolores Hart when she had an audience with him kept coming into my mind, 'You are Clare'. (No, I'm not claiming divine revelation, I'd recently read about Sr. Dolores and all kinds of odd things were coming into my head while I was trying to pray the rosary). The Italian version of the name is almost identical to the Irish name Ciara (but they're not connected, Ciara means black or dark-haired). So I thought the combination of Chiara Amata works well but with part of St. Therese's title thrown in.

Edited by Strictlyinkblot