An Old School Catholic Message Board

The World Is Full Of Sheep

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1328879561' post='2384806']
you're a cute kid!
[/quote]

I don't see how making fun of me is helping the thread or necessary.

Probably one of the toughest people I've ever known was a woman who came from Kosovo to the United States. She lost family in the ethnic cleansing that went on there; she can still talk about it without breaking into tears, but she'll get this far off look that you can tell she's reliving every moment if she tells someone about it.

Since we're discussing the Holocaust, manliness in the camps, etc. I'm with those who say truly manliness is not merely the vulgar force of arms, as Lord Alfred North Whitehead put it, but instead a capacity to suffer for ones fellow man if need be. One of my personal epitomes of manliness is Saint Maximilian Kolbe. He overcame a number of illnesses from his youth, just like Teddy Roosevelt did, but where Roosevelt went the butt kicking route, Kolbe went a more peaceful path. His wars were fought with words and honest information in the path of the Nazi war machine. He helped hide Jews until he also found himself in the camps, celebrating Mass with his meagre bread rations and not allowing the rest of the people to repay him out of their own rations. He did not rise and fight the oppressors in the camps through physical force of arms, but instead, did so with love and by living out his vocation. Even to the end, he offered himself for another man who had a family.

Edit: Got the name of Lord Whitehead wrong originally.

Edited by BG45

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328840137' post='2384603']I have been training in Goju Ryu Karate for eleven years[/quote] Hey, another Goju Ryu practicioner! :wave:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1328881153' post='2384811']
Nice site. I just read a really good article on the importance of roughhousing with your kids.
[/quote]
Lol. I just read that one too.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1328881153' post='2384811']
Nice site. I just read a really good article on the importance of roughhousing with your kids.
[/quote]

that was rawesome (rad + a.wesome

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328844395' post='2384653']
How do you know I haven't been in a traumatic event? My entire town was destroyed by one of the most powerful and biggest tornadoes in recorded history. People died, and I walked around in the dark with heavy rain and freezing wind with a high chance of being seriously injured for hours as I saw my hometown in ruins.
[/quote]
While that smells of elderberries, it's a little bit different from being the victim of genocide.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328840137' post='2384603']
I am a man that will fight for my rights as a citizen. I have been training in Goju Ryu Karate for eleven years and am a pretty good shot with rifles and Glocks, and I am not afraid to use any of these skills in a real fight. As a man that has traditional Catholic and conservative values, I find myself shocked and ask myself: Why won't anyone else fight?

The world mainly consists of people that act as sheep, simply doing what they are told. A prime example is WWII. I read books about it and watch movies like Schindler's List and think "Why don't they do something? There are thousands of them in the camps and only a few Nazis!" A more recent example is 9/11. If extremists hijacked my plane, I would be the first guy to get up and show them that they're not half as tough as they think they are. Especially since there's over a hundred people on the plane and only about five hijackers! What made only one out of four planes fight for their lives that day? What is wrong with the world today that people won't fight for their inalienable rights given by God? What makes people not stand up to the Nazis and the hijackers? Is it out of fear of getting hurt that people won't fight back? Don't people see the immediate logical error in that plan, that if they don't fight they're going to die anyway? What on earth is going on that made this happen? Did Americans not freely enlist (At least before the draft started a little later) in WWII just seventy years ago? Did all of this craziness start in the sixties, and simply escalate after the Vietnam war? And most importantly: how can we give people a backbone?
[/quote]
How do you know no one else on the other planes fought? Further, it's a risk/benefit decision. From my understanding, those on the flight that went down thanks to the passengers fighting back had learned of the objective of the hijackings. If you think you're eventually going to be released once some demands are met, or that you might be saved by a raid on the airplane after it lands, you might avoid getting the poo sliced out of you by a box cutter. Blood stinks, and serious wounds inflicted on other people have a taming effect on others who might otherwise have acted.

Sorry, but dance lessons are vastly different from a fight where someone is trying to kill you. It's great you think about this stuff. Hopefully, you can deal with crisis situations, and you certainly should plan on protecting people.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1328907472' post='2385121']
How do you know no one else on the other planes fought? Further, it's a risk/benefit decision. From my understanding, those on the flight that went down thanks to the passengers fighting back had learned of the objective of the hijackings. If you think you're eventually going to be released once some demands are met, or that you might be saved by a raid on the airplane after it lands, you might avoid getting the poo sliced out of you by a box cutter. Blood stinks, and serious wounds inflicted on other people have a taming effect on others who might otherwise have acted.

Sorry, but dance lessons are vastly different from a fight where someone is trying to kill you. It's great you think about this stuff. Hopefully, you can deal with crisis situations, and you certainly should plan on protecting people.
[/quote]

For me, a plastic box cutter isn't much of a threat. That's not even an inch of blade. I can kick you before you get anywhere near me. I am not saying that if you attacked me with one I couldn't get hurt, and obviously, seeing a real blade changes the way you perceive the situation and threat, but a box cutter is a box cutter, not a katana.

I don't do dance lessons. I do real sparring sessions, where we beat each other up and throw each other onto the ground or across the room, and more often than not it hurts quite a bit. I believe you are referring to katas, or forms. I do not care much for them. I prefer the real fighting.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1328906722' post='2385114']
While that smells of elderberries, it's a little bit different from being the victim of genocide.
[/quote]

I'm not denying that the Holocaust was worse. It was. I was simply responding and trying to get the point across that I wasn't born in Candy Land, where the biggest threat is a cavity. I have been in life or death situations before, and it's not fun.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1328902100' post='2385012']
Probably one of the toughest people I've ever known was a woman who came from Kosovo to the United States. She lost family in the ethnic cleansing that went on there; she can still talk about it without breaking into tears, but she'll get this far off look that you can tell she's reliving every moment if she tells someone about it.

Since we're discussing the Holocaust, manliness in the camps, etc. I'm with those who say truly manliness is not merely the vulgar force of arms, as Lord Alfred North Whitehead put it, but instead a capacity to suffer for ones fellow man if need be. One of my personal epitomes of manliness is Saint Maximilian Kolbe. He overcame a number of illnesses from his youth, just like Teddy Roosevelt did, but where Roosevelt went the butt kicking route, Kolbe went a more peaceful path. His wars were fought with words and honest information in the path of the Nazi war machine. He helped hide Jews until he also found himself in the camps, celebrating Mass with his meagre bread rations and not allowing the rest of the people to repay him out of their own rations. He did not rise and fight the oppressors in the camps through physical force of arms, but instead, did so with love and by living out his vocation. Even to the end, he offered himself for another man who had a family.

Edit: Got the name of Lord Whitehead wrong originally.
[/quote]

I'm completely agreeing with you. Being a man does not mean beating people up, or being able to, nor does it mean you can lift five hundred pounds and can sky-dive off a plane into the jungles of Vietnam and single-handedly kill all of the Viet-Cong with a shoe. However, being physical and being able to "cowboy-up" is an aspect of manhood that has been lost. From men trying to be women to men going to the doctor because they have a scrape on their knee, men just aren't being masculine anymore. We need to go back to the roots of being real men and acting like real men. Real men don't claim to be a women trapped in a man's body, and real twenty-year old men don't break down and cry because they have a scrape. Just as real men don't go around beating people to prove their manhood. Real men get the job done and take care of their family. Real men are God-minded, selfless, not as fragile as a five thousand year old clay pot, but are sensitive and are even man enough to cry. We need a balance, and today men are either going one way or the other, and almost never choose to stay in the middle.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328911592' post='2385169']
Real men are God-minded, selfless, not as fragile as a five thousand year old clay pot, but are sensitive and are even man enough to cry. [/quote]

And here is a wonderful example of such men:

[img]http://www.liturgies.net/saints/kolbe/kolbe.jpg[/img]

Saint Maximillian Mary Kolbe

Edited by brandelynmarie

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1328964232' post='2385353']
And here is a wonderful example of such men:

[img]http://www.liturgies.net/saints/kolbe/kolbe.jpg[/img]

Saint Maximillian Mary Kolbe
[/quote]
[size=6]HIS MIDDLE NAME IS MARY WHAT A PANSY AMIRITE[/size]