Apotheoun Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I would consider reconciling myself to the Church if I were to be elected by the College of Cardinals. You should go to Rome and campaign for the job.
Ash Wednesday Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 When he dies would he still be buried as a pope?
Gabriela Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I wonder if, in this age of wonder-techno-medicine that can keep people alive into their 100s, we will begin to see this more often...
ClareOfAssisi Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I am in total and complete shock. We are going to Rome for our honeymoon in May... it will be so different now.
carmenchristi Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Wow.... I'm 4 km from the Vatican, and you guys heard about this before me! I just found out at lunch and am shocked. I must say that when I woke up this morning, I felt much different than usual.... It's strange.... All of this is strange. But I have a strong sense of the Holy Spirit leading the Church - of course that's always true, but it seems so now more than ever.
homeschoolmom Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I wonder if, in this age of wonder-techno-medicine that can keep people alive into their 100s, we will begin to see this more often... I was wondering that myself.
BG45 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 The picture looks more like he is walking away, and not just stepping aside. It's Matt Drudge, it's not a story unless he can playing it up to look like something it isn't. :(
Ash Wednesday Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Yes I'm surprised Drudge didn't put his OOGA OOGA HOLY COW FLASHING LIGHTS
Brother Adam Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Yes, but have each of us stopped to pray for the Holy Father (who is still the Holy Father) and for the Church yet? Prayer, not speculation is the healthiest way to spend our time. I cannot even imagine the burden of being the pope in the first place, much less the burden he faced that he would decide it is best for the Church for him to resign.
Gabriela Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 we will probably need ot be prepared to answer a LOT of questions about the election process from non-Catholics. Yup. Even more than the last few times.... Good point. Let's start a thread. Here I go.
organwerke Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I'm really sorry. My favourite pope has just retired, it's so sad! But I can understand his position. Peter didn't retired, that's true, but he was not 85. Is it also possible that he has known to be ill? And, well, I imagine visiting him when he will retire and listen "When I was pope...." this would be really strange!
dominicansoul Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I see you've not yet been on Facebook or Twitter. :| sadly, its not only conspiracy theories but out right hate and anti-Catholic bigotry displayed I'm glad Lent is coming up, i'm turning off facebook... Papa Benny wouldn't be doing this had he not truly felt it was best for the Church...what shocks me is this is occurring during the "year of Faith." Its a good test to our Faith...knowing that the Holy Spirit is directing the Church...
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I'm sorry, but at least on my Facebook, people are being really stupid about this. He's sick, guys, he's old, look at JPII and how bad it was when he was on his deathbed. God will provide.
CatherineM Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I am actually not surprised. He wanted his Pontificate to be the opposite of everything John Paul's was. Being a quitter is the opposite. Maybe he wanted to be able to influence who his successor will be. That's another reason they shouldn't resign. They shouldn't be able to influence the conclave outside of picking those who get the red hats. It's also not fair to his successor. Imagine trying to be in charge and having to make a decision Benedict doesn't agree with. The Church doesn't need public pissing matches. I'm obviously disgusted.
mysisterisalittlesister Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I feel like there's more to this story than we know. Maybe he has progressive alzheimers or something. Whatever it is, he will be missed :(
BG45 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I was telling some friends this, but, I saw this non-Catholic prof who has been asking me some questions because he does a lot of Catholic reading, "Jon, did you hear about Pope Benedict XVI resigning?" "WHAT?! NO! TELL ME PHIL" He literally was shouting. and then he yelled to the woman in the next office, who is a cafeteria Catholic, "SHANNON? DID YOU KNOW THE POPE IS RESIGNING?!" "Huh, oh yeah, my CNN mobile alerts told me." "GOD SHANNON, I'M NOT CATHOLIC AND I'M TREATING THIS AS A BIGGER DEAL THAN YOU ARE!"
Ash Wednesday Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 (edited) I'm ready to give up the internet for Lent except for email and cat videos. Probably not likely, but yeah. So many opinions on the internet... but not enough cat videos. Edited February 11, 2013 by Ash Wednesday
BG45 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I'm ready to give up the internet for Lent except for email and cat videos. Probably not likely, but yeah. So many opinions on the internet... but not enough cat videos. Sorry, reached my quota of positive props for the day.
Lil Red Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Oh my. This is very unexpected. I do not know what to make of this. I am kind of in shock. ditto. I have a very sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. :(
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now