An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

Obviously, when my mother woke me up this morning to inform me of his resignation I was in shock and had a hard time processing it. But what has been harder to process is good Catholics turning on the Pope. He has been one of the greatest Popes we could have asked for. The Holy Spirit blessed us with this choice. He is old and sick and can no longer do his job adequately. Who is to say this is not the work of the Holy Spirit? Pope Benedict XVI has been my only experience with Popes (Pope John Paul II died when I was very young and didn't pay much attention to it). I remember watching when Pope Benedict XVI was chosen on the news, and watching him come out for the first time. He has been very dear to my heart, and I will be sad to see him go. It is already a time for weeping. Let us not make it a time of accusations and conspiracy as well. We have been loyal to the Pope this far; let us not abandon him in his greatest time of need.

Why must I have run out of props?  Why?  This is an amazing post FP.  (And reminds me of my own feelings when JP2 died and I was a non-Catholic.)

Also, new from Catholic memes and germane to this thread given we've had some Petrus Romanus posts already:

426164_160618590754558_507148148_n.jpg

HisChildForever

I'm not attacking or turning on the Pope. I'm saying his quitting is a bad idea and will hurt the Church. I hope I'm wrong. You can disagree with something your parents or kids do without hating them.

Perhaps him staying will hurt the Church. We'll never know.

I'm stunned by the news and like many, anticipating the anti-Catholic reactions in the news and social media. Nevertheless, I have tremendous respect and admiration for the way our Holy Father has led the Church since JPII and I trust that he made this decision after a lot of prayer and discernment. If in fact the Holy Spirit led him to this decision, who are we to disagree with it? I'll keep him, the church, and the future pope in my prayers.

I'm not attacking or turning on the Pope. I'm saying his quitting is a bad idea and will hurt the Church. I hope I'm wrong. You can disagree with something your parents or kids do without hating them.

Well said.

Perhaps him staying will hurt the Church. We'll never know.

I guess part of my feeling has to do with having watched John Paul's mortification. As someone who lives each day with pain and disability, I was given strength by watching his strength.

"Pope John Paul II remained in office so that he might show us how to suffer and how to die. Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Papal Office so that he might show us how to live in humble honesty."

I'm known for having strong opinions. I love Vatican II, dislike the Latin mass and chant. I think the SSPX should be kicked to the curb once and for all, so obviously I have disagreed with some of the stuff Benedict did. That doesn't make me a bad Catholic. Still, I didn't want him to die or quit.

I'm a concrete thinker, and realize what this will mean. It will give fodder to our enemies. Even if no behind the scenes reason comes out, the Catholic haters will say this is to hush up something he did. They will feast on it for years.

Doing it so Cardinals might not be home for Easter is bizarre, or designed to force them to make a quick decision. Both things are bad.

This is bad for the Church is dozens of ways. When people get over the shock, they will start to realize how bad.

This is why I am so sad: he did many of the best things ever.

I think that what he did caused him so many enemies within the Church itself he probably wanted to give a strong signal to all.

People can think what they want, people who hates the church will always hate, whatever it happens.

I think this has a much bigger impact on the faithful rather than on non-faithful.

Pope has always spoken about the evil that is inside the church. I fear his resignation has somethng to do with it.

Pope Paul VI too wanted to resign anyway, but he died before he could do it.

PhuturePriest

"Pope John Paul II remained in office so that he might show us how to suffer and how to die. Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Papal Office so that he might show us how to live in humble honesty."

Bazinga.

HisChildForever

I guess part of my feeling has to do with having watched John Paul's mortification. As someone who lives each day with pain and disability, I was given strength by watching his strength.

I wonder if, like someone else mentioned, he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. From what I understand, JPII was mentally fit, it was his body that was broken down. Could you imagine if B16 or any pope became sick with Alzheimer's - and the illness became advanced to the point where he didn't recognize his bedroom, staff, position, etc.? I wonder how that would be handled.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Yes, but have each of us stopped to pray for the Holy Father (who is still the Holy Father) and for the Church yet?

Prayer, not speculation is the healthiest way to spend our time.

I cannot even imagine the burden of being the pope in the first place, much less the burden he faced that he would decide it is best for the Church for him to resign.

I found out a couple hours ago as I was preparing the Sacresty for Morning Mass. Fr told me. He announced the resignation before Mass and was used the prayers for the Holy Father, Fr also gave a nice homily the need to follow the Holy Father in prayer.

Why must I have run out of props?  Why?  This is an amazing post FP.  (And reminds me of my own feelings when JP2 died and I was a non-Catholic.)

Also, new from Catholic memes and germane to this thread given we've had some Petrus Romanus posts already:

426164_160618590754558_507148148_n.jpg

Too late.  I already posted one. :)

Basilisa Marie

YES THIS. 

I think there are two ways of looking at it, the practical level and the spiritual level.  JPII probably decided to offer his prayer and suffering up for graces for the whole Church.  BXVI is taking a more pragmatic approach, setting a modern precedent for future popes who feel like they aren't equipped to handle the practical demands of the position anymore.  I don't think one is more right than the other.  If popes were only meant to die in office, then we wouldn't allow them to resign.  

I wonder if, like someone else mentioned, he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. From what I understand, JPII was mentally fit, it was his body that was broken down. Could you imagine if B16 or any pope became sick with Alzheimer's - and the illness became advanced to the point where he didn't recognize his bedroom, staff, position, etc.? I wonder how that would be handled.

I heard some rumor about dementia.  And as a theologian, Benedict would probably be quite sensitive to mental degeneration. 

If I could prop I would.  That's beautiful.

Sometimes it takes a wise man to know when the time has come to step aside so that the Church can benefit from my benevolent authoritarian rule.