An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

An interesting tidbit on Pope Celestine's resignation:

The historian told the Radio that the last pope to step down was Gregory XII, who did so in 1415 in order to end the Great Western Schism. However, Prudlo observed, the possibility of a papal resignation was confirmed even before that, when at the end of the 13th century, Celestine V resigned after finding himself unfit for the job.

"At the end of the 13th century, a very holy hermit named Peter was elected as Pope Celestine V in order to break a deadlock in the conclave that had lasted nearly three years. He was elected because of his personal holiness, sort of a unity candidate. And once he got there, being a hermit, not used to the ways of the Roman Curia, he found himself somewhat unsuited to the task, that it wasn't just holiness but also some shrewdness and prudence that was also required. So within six months he knew that he was really unequal to the task, and so he gathered the cardinals together in a consistory, just as was recently done, a couple hours ago, and he announced to the cardinals his intention to resign," Prudlo explained to Vatican Radio. "Because of the pope's position as the supreme authority in the Church, Celestine declared that the pope could freely resign, that it was permissible."

More on papal resignations here: Historian Notes Precedent for Papal Resignation

MissScripture

I truly cannot believe the ridiculous attitude of some people. This thread just makes me sad. I came to PM just after Papa Benedict was elected, and I joined because it was a safe place to like him, and trust the Holy Spirit knew what it was doing. I would really be disapppinted if we do not continue to have that trust.

KnightofChrist

The Church is a family, to me this is shocking, like my father giving a surprise announcement that he has gotten too old, so he's going to quit being my father.

It's how I feel, not what I believe.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

My theory is that B16 resigned to spend more time at his secret llama farm preparing for the alpacalypse.

PhuturePriest

One of my favorite Pope Benedict XVI moments is the snapshot of what looks like him smacking his forehead. However, I cannot find that photo. I'm rather surprised no one humorously used it in this thread, though. The irony would have been amazing.

Too much happening too fast for me to keep up. Unfortunately I work in secular news. ;)

But to everyone finding the resignation unusual, he did say early on that he would resign in failing health.

inunionwithrome

What a big day for the Catholic Church! How surprised I was watching CBN- The 700 Club this morning when I heard of the news! Papa Ben, please continue to pray for us as we will continue to pray for you. May God guide the College of Cardinals when making their decision for a new Pope! Wow!Wow! And more Wow!

Right now, I am feeling more confused than anything.  Not a confusion of thought, but of feelings and emotion.

There is a part of me that drew much strength from Blessed John Paul II as his body deteriorated while in his Petrine Office.  He was a witness of the santity, sacredness, and dignity of the human person (regardless of race, class, creed, injury, defect, age, or anything).  To put it colloquially (and without disrespect) he was like a living Rocky Balboa.  We all have the ability to be inspirations to others simply by picking up our cross(es) and putting one foot in front of the other. 

It is this part of me that is humbly upset at this recent turn of events.  I feel let down.  I feel given up on.  I feel maybe when the going gets too tough, you fold up shop. I fail to see the learned example of this act.

And then...

One realizes how many times I've said "I".  And there is a pause.

While making plans for my mom to live here, and her most probable new lifestyle she will have: no driving, no living on her own, we had a conversation. My mom is a strong, driven, never-say-quit type of woman...basically take me and add 3 parts stubbornness, 8 parts sarcasm, and the determination of the intensity of a thousand suns.  I remember saying to her that sometimes it takes a special kind of strength to allow others to help you.  A special strength to be led, rather than to lead.

A part of me sees this with Papa.  Other than my blood family, who other than he would I give the benefit of the doubt to?  What if there is something else to this?  What if this, what if that?  I am not him.  If he is my Papa and I trust him in all his other decisions, why not this one too?  really... why not?

With all this confusion of heart, I pray.  I seek to understand.  I hope for healing...his and ours.

Right now, I am feeling more confused than anything.  Not a confusion of thought, but of feelings and emotion.

There is a part of me that drew much strength from Blessed John Paul II as his body deteriorated while in his Petrine Office.  He was a witness of the santity, sacredness, and dignity of the human person (regardless of race, class, creed, injury, defect, age, or anything).  To put it colloquially (and without disrespect) he was like a living Rocky Balboa.  We all have the ability to be inspirations to others simply by picking up our cross(es) and putting one foot in front of the other. 

It is this part of me that is humbly upset at this recent turn of events.  I feel let down.  I feel given up on.  I feel maybe when the going gets too tough, you fold up shop. I fail to see the learned example of this act.

And then...

One realizes how many times I've said "I".  And there is a pause.

While making plans for my mom to live here, and her most probable new lifestyle she will have: no driving, no living on her own, we had a conversation. My mom is a strong, driven, never-say-quit type of woman...basically take me and add 3 parts stubbornness, 8 parts sarcasm, and the determination of the intensity of a thousand suns.  I remember saying to her that sometimes it takes a special kind of strength to allow others to help you.  A special strength to be led, rather than to lead.

A part of me sees this with Papa.  Other than my blood family, who other than he would I give the benefit of the doubt to?  What if there is something else to this?  What if this, what if that?  I am not him.  If he is my Papa and I trust him in all his other decisions, why not this one too?  really... why not?

With all this confusion of heart, I pray.  I seek to understand.  I hope for healing...his and ours.

Exactly.