An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

When I told my mom of the news this morning she mentioned a couple of things she noticed while watching a papal mass on ewtn a week or so ago.  One was that His Holiness did not walk far but instead stood on a platform with wheels and that was how he made his way down the aisle.  Upon bending to kiss the altar His Holiness dropped his crozier and it was caught in the nick of time by an assistant!  Surely he knows himself and his health far better than we do and has not made this decision rashly.  I am grateful to have had Papa Benny as pope even though it does seem it was just a short time.

Yeah, there was a minor stir... what was it, six months ago now? When he started using that moving platform. I guess it turned out to be a bit of a big deal after all.

PhuturePriest

All Arinze would have to do is ask me for it and give a shout out to phatmass at his papal acceptance speech.

I'd rather he didn't. I like the small community feel of Phatmass. I don't want this place to turn into Catholic Answers Forums.

Yeah, there was a minor stir... what was it, six months ago now? When he started using that moving platform. I guess it turned out to be a bit of a big deal after all.

I guess I was too busy with my own life to even notice :(

I guess I was too busy with my own life to even notice :(

The hardcore Vatican watchers were the only ones who noticed. Just like when the Holy Father started walking with a cane some time ago now.

I'd rather he didn't. I like the small community feel of Phatmass. I don't want this place to turn into Catholic Answers Forums.

That's what the ban button is for. If we get thousands of more people to join we can just weed out all the losers and keep the cool people.

Problem is, most of our current members would be weeded out as well.

That's what the ban button is for. If we get thousands of more people to join we can just weed out all the losers and keep the cool people.

We would all be sad to see you go. :sad2:

We would all be sad to see you go. :sad2:

would we all get locked in here for a conclave until we elected a new dust?  Who is eligible to be the next dust?

Why would Cardinal Arinze be a balance between Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI? Cardinal Arinze is a man that is not afraid to tell people the way it is. If anything, he's even more of a rottweiler than Ratzinger. That's a good thing, in my opinion, I'm just saying it's odd to say he's a good balance.

I just mean that he has the orthodoxy of Pope Benedict XVI but (in my opinion) some of the charisma that JPII had.  Of course, it's entirely my opinion so if you feel differently that's fine.  Either way, I think he'd make a wonderful Pope.   :pray:

PhuturePriest

Well, at least I can rest assured I'm not one of those losers!

would we all get locked in here for a conclave until we elected a new dust?  Who is eligible to be the next dust?

All CMs, regulators, clergy, and religious under the age of 80 have voting rights. Anybody non-phishy can be chosen, but if a non-CM is chosen he must first be elevated to CM status. The next Dust must be elected by a 2/3 majority, but if a stalemate exists after one month of voting, then a simple majority suffices. If after two months the next Dust has not been chosen, instead of voting all eligible electors will fight until only one remains, who then becomes the next Dust.

Pope Paul VI was a great and holy man. He did his best to lead the Church, and yes, he did it even to the very end of his life. While he was on his deathbed, he asked his accountant (A Priest) to stay with him and pray for his soul. He was frightened that he would abandon Christ at the end like Peter did.

Sorry if someone has already addressed this, but I haven't gotten through all of the pages in this thead yet, but St. Peter did not abandon Christ in the end. He abandoned Christ in one of the last moments before the end, but then came back in the end and died a martyr's death. If he truly had abandoned Christ in the end, then he wouldn't be a saint.

All CMs, regulators, clergy, and religious under the age of 80 have voting rights. Anybody non-phishy can be chosen, but if a non-CM is chosen he must first be elevated to CM status. The next Dust must be elected by a 2/3 majority, but if a stalemate exists after one month of voting, then a simple majority suffices. If after two months the next Dust has not been chosen, instead of voting all eligible electors will fight until only one remains, who then becomes the next Dust.

The Conclave Games, perhaps?

PhuturePriest

Sorry if someone has already addressed this, but I haven't gotten through all of the pages in this thead yet, but St. Peter did not abandon Christ in the end. He abandoned Christ in one of the last moments before the end, but then came back in the end and died a martyr's death. If he truly had abandoned Christ in the end, then he wouldn't be a saint.

Those were his words, not mine. Of course he came back. But he didn't want to abandon Christ like Peter had, because unlike Peter he didn't have time to accept him again.