HisChildForever Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 I think speculation about the next pope is both exciting and enlightening, especially in such a rare case where it is not tempered by mourning. Yeah, seriously. Besides, this is a discussion board. People discuss things.
Basilisa Marie Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Ugh can we please not turn this thread into an anti-altar girls, anti-communion in the hand, anti-standing to receive thread? As a former altar girl who always receives communion standing and sometimes in the hand, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. I like Oullet. :)
BG45 Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Ugh can we please not turn this thread into an anti-altar girls, anti-communion in the hand, anti-standing to receive thread? As a former altar girl who always receives communion standing and sometimes in the hand, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. I like Oullet. :) Did I miss some posts or was my troll!Pope really that successful?
franciscanheart Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Did I miss some posts or was my troll!Pope really that successful?Please try to keep up.
BG45 Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Please try to keep up. Ah missed some posts then. Oops, my bad.
dUSt Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Huh? Someone said they didn't know who Arinze was so I posted the first couple YouTube videos I found so they could see how he speaks and stuff. Geesh.
inunionwithrome Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 pope lightning Do you think God was trying to tell us something? He already knew what had or was going to happen. He created all of us to serve Him. Jesus promised an Advocate, the Holy Spirit, someone to help us here on earth after He had died. It is in the wisdom, understanding, knowledge, fortitude, and other gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit that Pope Benedict XVI selected his resignation as being what is best for the Church. We should all honor that and do what we can (praying) for all that is holy.
KnightofChrist Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Huh? Someone said they didn't know who Arinze was so I posted the first couple YouTube videos I found so they could see how he speaks and stuff. Geesh. Whatever you say traddy. :p Arinze is one of the ones I hope will replace Benedict XVI.
dominicansoul Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 lol, phatmasser Raphael just posted this on Facebook:
bernadette d Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Being humble is asking for help, not giving up. This is so sad, God bless him, he has the true well-being of the Church at heart, and loves her dearly. "Giving up" is far from the reality of the situation and I am sad to see it referred to in those terms.
ithinkjesusiscool Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 when will they elect o new pope? when will you have to be in Rome if you wish to attend the habemus papam ceremony?
Nihil Obstat Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 when will they elect o new pope? when will you have to be in Rome if you wish to attend the habemus papam ceremony? IIRC, the projected start date of the Conclave is March 17. Canon law specifies an interregnum period, which in this case is somewhat shortened due to the lack of mourning days. In theory the Conclave could take many days, even weeks, but it will probably not last longer than four days.
HisChildForever Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 when will they elect o new pope? when will you have to be in Rome if you wish to attend the habemus papam ceremony? I believe someone mentioned that 2 weeks after the resignation conclave will begin. But no one knows how long it will take after that. A new Holy Father could be elected in two days or two weeks. Does anyone remember how long it took for B16 to be elected? I want to say 5 days but I'm not sure.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 I believe someone mentioned that 2 weeks after the resignation conclave will begin. But no one knows how long it will take after that. A new Holy Father could be elected in two days or two weeks. Does anyone remember how long it took for B16 to be elected? I want to say 5 days but I'm not sure. "The conclave began on 18 April 2005 and ended on the following day after four ballots." From Wikipedia.
HisChildForever Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 "The conclave began on 18 April 2005 and ended on the following day after four ballots." From Wikipedia. Is that a quick conclave or not unusual?
add Posted February 12, 2013 Author Posted February 12, 2013 VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - In mid-March, some 115 cardinals will enter the Sistine Chapel to elect the next leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics. Cardinals lose their right to enter a conclave when they turn 80 so the exact number will depend on the day of the start of the conclave.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Is that a quick conclave or not unusual? I am not an expert by any means, but my quick look on Wikipedia indicates that no conclave in the last 110 years has been even as long as a week. I know some notable conclaves have been much, much longer, but I do not know if they were anomalies, or perhaps if conclaves just tended to be longer in previous centuries.
franciscanheart Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 I believe someone mentioned that 2 weeks after the resignation conclave will begin. But no one knows how long it will take after that. A new Holy Father could be elected in two days or two weeks. Does anyone remember how long it took for B16 to be elected? I want to say 5 days but I'm not sure.They have 15 days from resignation to begin the conclave. From my understanding, the conclave can meet as early as March 1st. I may be wrong, but that's how the rules seem to read.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 They have 15 days from resignation to begin the conclave. From my understanding, the conclave can meet as early as March 1st. I may be wrong, but that's how the rules seem to read. According to Dr. Peters it may not start, according to current rules, any earlier than 15 March, and no later than the 20th. http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/when-will-the-conclave-start/
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now