An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

I hope Dr. Ed Peters does a quick piece on how current Canon Law treats a resigned pope. :) He always has something interesting to say.

franciscanheart

I'm sorry that my attitude is seen as disrespectful. I guess I'm just another cripple who has no place in society and nothing left to offer. I resign from Phatmass so that I no longer upset anyone.

Yeah, because that's totally what we said. And when didn't say it, it's CERTAINLY what we were implying. :rolleyes:

Fold your arms and walk away if you must, but no one is inflicting this on you. You are creating and carrying your own cross on this one. I don't discredit your condition(s) or the pain associated with them, but that has nothing to do with your calling the Pope's decision a cop-out.

I think the way you speak of his decision to resign is disrespectful. Have your reservations, but also have some respect. I mean, come on, Catherine: HE'S THE POPE. You think he didn't think and pray about this? You really think this is some rash cop-out because he wants to spend more time with his cats and have some lush, easy death? GIVE ME A BREAK.

PhuturePriest

Yeah, because that's totally what we said. And when didn't say it, it's CERTAINLY what we were implying. :rolleyes:

Fold your arms and walk away if you must, but no one is inflicting this on you. You are creating and carrying your own cross on this one. I don't discredit your condition(s) or the pain associated with them, but that has nothing to do with your calling the Pope's decision a cop-out.

I think the way you speak of his decision to resign is disrespectful. Have your reservations, but also have some respect. I mean, come on, Catherine: HE'S THE POPE. You think he didn't think and pray about this? You really think this is some rash cop-out because he wants to spend more time with his cats and have some lush, easy death? GIVE ME A BREAK.

Sources say he has been pondering this for a little over three years, more so in the past few months. That doesn't appear to me as if he has taken the decision lightly.

Edited by FuturePriest387

i would like to cardinal arinze become pope.  he is such an awesome teacher!

I also think he is great, but I am expecting someone significantly younger. Cardinal Arinze is 80 already.

I also think he is great, but I am expecting someone significantly younger. Cardinal Arinze is 80 already.

oops!  maybe they need to start picking cardinals a lot younger.

Edited by Debra Little

oops!  maybe they need to start picking cardinals a lot younger.

Well he was rather young when he was created Cardinal. That was quite a while ago though. 

i would like to cardinal arinze become pope.  he is such an awesome teacher!

Words can't express how much I would loooove to see Cardinal Arinze as Pope Benedict's successor.  His age is somewhat problematic but he is wonderful!  I think he would be good for the Church both inside and out.  To the non-Catholics, they might see it as "progress" that the Church would have their first black Pope (even though ultimately the only thing that matters is his devotion to the Church).  Plus he is very orthodox and very charismatic at the same time.  I actually see him as a balance between JPII and our current Pope.

Julie de Sales

Maybe there is also a good consequence of his resignation. Maybe the next Pope will follow the footsteps of Benedict and will consolidate what he begun. If Benedict would have died, it would have been more chances that those who didn't liked his pontificate would rejoice and put someone of their own on the chair of St Peter. Then it would have been a disaster. But now, I think the Cardinals will not dare to choose someone whom Pope Benedict would not approve at all, and a new, young, and (hopefully) conservative Pope will assure a bright future to the Church!

Julie de Sales

Words can't express how much I would loooove to see Cardinal Arinze as Pope Benedict's successor.  His age is somewhat problematic but he is wonderful!  I think he would be good for the Church both inside and out.  To the non-Catholics, they might see it as "progress" that the Church would have their first black Pope (even though ultimately the only thing that matters is his devotion to the Church).  Plus he is very orthodox and very charismatic at the same time.  I actually see him as a balance between JPII and our current Pope.

I'm not a fan of Cardinal Arinze, but he is certainly among the best!

People are probably going to panic or throw out conspiracy theories because of a pope resigning but we are in unusual times. I'll trust his decision. The red shoes aren't easy ones to fill, let alone when you are 85 years old.

Of course there will be conspiracy theories, Pope Benedict is in perfect health. Pope John Paul II was only a year younger before he died.  Something serious is going on behind the scenes.  

All I can say about this, is God help us!

(Don't quote or reply to Freedom, she will not respond so don't waste your time) 

HisChildForever

Of course there will be conspiracy theories, Pope Benedict is in perfect health. Pope John Paul II was only a year younger before he died.  Something serious is going on behind the scenes.  

All I can say about this, is God help us!

(Don't quote or reply to Freedom, she will not respond so don't waste your time) 

Sorry, I'm going to reply, because this is the most ludicrous post of the entire thread. Who're you, his doctor?

PhuturePriest

Why would Cardinal Arinze be a balance between Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI? Cardinal Arinze is a man that is not afraid to tell people the way it is. If anything, he's even more of a rottweiler than Ratzinger. That's a good thing, in my opinion, I'm just saying it's odd to say he's a good balance.

carmenchristi

Sorry, I'm going to reply, because this is the most ludicrous post of the entire thread. Who're you, his doctor?

Mmmm.... I was guessing that the post in question was sarcastic.... But I'm not really sure.

Anyway, you all have probably already seen this.,. But most of what was on tv most likely had a commentator giving the translation. To hear the tone of the Holy Father's voice is heart wrenching.