An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

VeniJesuAmorMi

God bless Our Holy Father. He is both courageous and humble. Everything will turn out for the best for Holy Mother Church and for souls. I certainly will not stop supporting and praying for our dear Holy Father. May Our Lord keep him safe.

Just in case anyone is interested; EWTN has been posting more news stories as they receive more information (on their website.)

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi has said that after he retires, he will dedicate himself to a life of prayer and study at the Vatican based Monastery known as Mater Ecclesiae monastery. The monastery is currently being renovated, but it is normally inhabited by a group of nuns who pray for the ministry of the Pope, a mission Pope John Paul II gave to them. "He will be dedicating himself to prayer and reflection," said Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi, during an unexpected Feb. 11 media event at the Holy See press office. "The Pope will not be cloistered nor should he be considered confined in any way, and he will have his freedom," said Fr. Lombardi. "Certainly this is a new situation and we will see how he lives it," he added.

The rest of the article is on the EWTN website under the news. Here is what Cardinal Dolan has said, "“The Holy Father brought the tender heart of a pastor, the incisive mind of a scholar and the confidence of a soul united with His God in all he did. His resignation is but another sign of his great care for the Church.” He is also calling for hope-filled prayers “that the College of Cardinals under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit choose a worthy successor to meet the challenges present in today’s world.”

Amen. :pray: 

GeorgiiMichael

I don't like the "father giving up on being a parent" analogy.

I see it more as a head of house getting too old and handing the job of running the family to his more capable son.

Papa Bene is resigning so that someone more capable than he can lead the Church in the future. That's not cowardice, that's a humility that few popes (and probably only Celestine V) were able to muster. Just because he cites his health, does not mean that it is only his physical health that is deteriorating. It is better for him to step down now than for us to have a pope with some sort of dementia who doesn't even remember those around him.

I'm sorry that my attitude is seen as disrespectful. I guess I'm just another cripple who has no place in society and nothing left to offer. I resign from Phatmass so that I no longer upset anyone.

ithinkjesusiscool

Well, I don't think we'll get a scandinavian Pope. Yes, Cardinal Burke would be awesome as a Pope
:-) I also senced that the Pope had some other news he will reveal in the future:-(

I'm sorry that my attitude is seen as disrespectful. I guess I'm just another cripple who has no place in society and nothing left to offer. I resign from Phatmass so that I no longer upset anyone.

Catherine,

We need you as part of our phamily, and we want you. 

I sent you a PM before I even saw this part of this thread.

I feel really badly if you feel we beat up on you today.  We need to let all of us vent a little if we need to... and I can see where you are coming from given your own life of constant pain and suffering.   Certainly as phamily we should be able to  let you just vent a bit without attacking you.  

Every one of us is shocked and processing our own reactions right now... it's why we are praying to the Holy Spirit for all of us.   Certainly for Benedict, certanly for his successor and the Cardinal Electors... but also for each and every one of us.

If I was a little devil, I'd be trying to divide and conquer us if I could.  It would be such a good thing to do at a time like this!

Catherine, Get some space, go hang out on a differnt part of Phatmass, or stay away for a little while, but please come back.  You are loved and wanted.  

Certainly by me, but I bet by a whole lot of us if not all of us.

Holding you in a loving embrace right now... holding ALL of us in a loving embrace of prayer right now...

inunionwithrome

Thank God I'm not the only Protestant who sees the usefulness of the Papacy. <3

Actually, I am not Protestant. I watch it for the Christian News that they give to avoid the secular news as much as able and get something useful for my ears and eyes!

CatherineM - I like and respect you. I will pray for you, because your attitude here towards the pope and towards us, your phamily, seems really out of character. I mean, do you really expect any of us to agree that you're "just another cripple who has no place in society and nothing left to offer"?

Edited by Lil Red

HisChildForever

I think you've gone a little too far here.

carmenchristi

My theory is that B16 resigned to spend more time at his secret llama farm preparing for the alpacalypse.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

I fail to see how anyone could think that the Pope's decision to resign is "giving up".  Did I miss the memo he sent out stating he's quitting Catholicism?  From everything I've read and heard, he still plans to spend his remaining years serving Christ, only in a different manner.  In my opinion, he had to have known that his resignation would cause a lot of controversy so I see this as an act of bravery and humility.  He recognizes that we are living in turbulent times and that we need a strong, capable leader; he feels he can no longer fill this role.  I respect that and the years that he has served us well.  I'm greatly saddened by his decision but also confident that it's what the Holy Spirit wants so I'll just pray that his successor is equally capable.  Thank you Holy Father, you've been a wonderful leader.

Blessed&Grateful

CatherineM  I agree with much of what you said. I can only guess (and hope) that his resignation has more to do with reduced mental capacity rather than physical illness. Benedict has not been a Pope I identify with.

I too am not a traditionalist, you're not alone.

carmenchristi

Passive aggression? This seems a little bit much.