An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

Very saddened by this news and it has really brought out many to use this as an excuse to attack our Church.

I pray for the Pope, the new Pope and the Roman Catholic Church.

Renee the Nunnabe

I had just woken up and was eating breakfast when I heard the news.  

My response? A very loud, drawn-out gasp.  

One of the problems with watching the news while getting ready each day is that it tends to make me feel so involved with the news that  I don't want to get ready. Today was one of those days.  

It's definitely a shock, but I think we all can use this a chance to strengthen our understanding. I imagine this must have been a very difficult decision for the Pope to make, and now we can just hope that his conscience is clear and that the new pope shall be a good one. Let us hope for the new pope and hope that Pope Benedict XVI spends the rest of his days with peace of heart and soul. =)  

Ash Wednesday

Of course there will be conspiracy theories, Pope Benedict is in perfect health. Pope John Paul II was only a year younger before he died. Something serious is going on behind the scenes.

All I can say about this, is God help us!

(Don't quote or reply to Freedom, she will not respond so don't waste your time)

But I'm so good at wasting time!

Whatever is or isn't going on... we really don't know. But yes, God help us, indeed.

The only thing I can be certain of here is that none of us posting on phatmass is in any position to judge Pope Benedict on his resignation.  None of us knows the details of his physical or mental health.  Staying until office until his death may be a good option in more peaceful times in the Church, but I think today's crisis callas for vigorous leadership and action, and a seriously incapacitated Pontiff could lead to (or worsen) many problems.

While the Pope's rather sudden resignation may cause a certain amount of chaos and confusion, a situation with a mentally and physically incapacitated Pope reigning for years and years could create much more.  (Think if the Pope had Alzheimer's or a similar ailment, and lived many years in an incapacitated state, like Ronald Reagan before his death. - I'm not saying this is what is going on with Pope Benedict, but it is a possibility, and the Pope may be trying to avoid just such a situation.)

Sometimes prudence is the better part of valor, and it's not our place to judge.

PhuturePriest

I don't mean to be a Pope historian, but Pope John Paul the First, while he was still reigning for those thirty days, told people to call him Pope John Paul I. His accountant said there has to be a second for them to call him that, but he said "I am Pope John Paul I. I will be here for only a short while; my successor is coming soon." and he informed them that he would not be the one that went on the trip to America that summer. The Holy Spirit let him know that he was going soon. What if maybe Benedict XVI has been given the same insight?

And I'm not speculating. It's just another thing to think about when it comes to the resignation. The thing is, we don't know what's going on. But the Pope would not make such a major decision lightly. It could be that the Holy Spirit told him, it could have been his doctor, or it could have been him just realizing he needed to step down so the Church could grow more, and that if he stayed it wouldn't. There's no point in speculating. Just pray and trust, people.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

Few people, however, noticed at the time.

Only now, we may be gaining a better understanding of what it meant. These actions were probably more than pious acts. More likely, they were profound and symbolic gestures of a very personal nature, which conveyed a message that a Pope can hardly deliver any other way.

In the year 1294, this man (Fr. Pietro Angelerio), known by all as a devout and holy priest, was elected Pope, somewhat against his will, shortly before his 80th birthday (Ratzinger was 78 when he was elected Pope in 2005). Just five months later, after issuing a formal decree allowing popes to resign (or abdicate, like other rulers), Pope Celestine V exercised that right. And now Pope Benedict XVI has chosen to follow in the footsteps of this venerable model.

I would consider reconciling myself to the Church if I were to be elected by the College of Cardinals.

I like the sound of a Hasan papacy already!

Pope Hasan does not sound papal. 

Pope Fetus, on the other hand.....

Edited by Norseman82

----Sr. Mary Theresa, O.P. (DSMME)

I just found out she's the one who said this and it spread through the interwebs like wildfire! :D

You know what's funny, Dr. Bergsma (a professor here at FUS) said almost the same thing to my class at 8 AM this morning. 

All CMs, regulators, clergy, and religious under the age of 80 have voting rights. Anybody non-phishy can be chosen, but if a non-CM is chosen he must first be elevated to CM status. The next Dust must be elected by a 2/3 majority, but if a stalemate exists after one month of voting, then a simple majority suffices. If after two months the next Dust has not been chosen, instead of voting all eligible electors will fight until only one remains, who then becomes the next Dust.

In the end, there can be only one: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJt9p-sHho

I don't mean to be a Pope historian, but Pope John Paul the First, while he was still reigning for those thirty days, told people to call him Pope John Paul I. His accountant said there has to be a second for them to call him that, but he said "I am Pope John Paul I. I will be here for only a short while; my successor is coming soon." and he informed them that he would not be the one that went on the trip to America that summer. The Holy Spirit let him know that he was going soon. What if maybe Benedict XVI has been given the same insight?

Are you sure this happened? I hate being 'that guy', but it sounds like one of those pious legends that perpetually floats around, unsourced and unverified.

PhuturePriest

Are you sure this happened? I hate being 'that guy', but it sounds like one of those pious legends that perpetually floats around, unsourced and unverified.

His accountant testified, saying that he said these things. Seeing as how he was a Priest, I'd like to think he wasn't lying just for fun.

LouisvilleFan

Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

I'm of the mind that he planned to resign as soon as he was elected. He had a front row seat to whatever may have gone down behind the scenes as his JPII gradually weakened. He started cleaning up that Fr. Maciel mess almost immediately. He dropped a couple of hints, including this one above. Maybe signing up on Twitter was the last straw. The world is changing at an increasingly faster pace, and we all know how the stress of public office quickly ages even those who are in excellent health. Whether the Holy Spirit whispered "you will be assassinated" all Godfather style, that's probably a stretch... :)