An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

HisChildForever

"The conclave began on 18 April 2005 and ended on the following day after four ballots."
From Wikipedia.

Is that a quick conclave or not unusual?

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) -   In mid-March, some 115 cardinals will enter the Sistine Chapel to elect the next leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics. Cardinals lose their right to enter a conclave when they turn 80 so the exact number will depend on the day of the start of the conclave.

Is that a quick conclave or not unusual?

I am not an expert by any means, but my quick look on Wikipedia indicates that no conclave in the last 110 years has been even as long as a week. I know some notable conclaves have been much, much longer, but I do not know if they were anomalies, or perhaps if conclaves just tended to be longer in previous centuries.

franciscanheart

I believe someone mentioned that 2 weeks after the resignation conclave will begin. But no one knows how long it will take after that. A new Holy Father could be elected in two days or two weeks.

Does anyone remember how long it took for B16 to be elected? I want to say 5 days but I'm not sure.

They have 15 days from resignation to begin the conclave. From my understanding, the conclave can meet as early as March 1st. I may be wrong, but that's how the rules seem to read.

They have 15 days from resignation to begin the conclave. From my understanding, the conclave can meet as early as March 1st. I may be wrong, but that's how the rules seem to read.

According to Dr. Peters it may not start, according to current rules, any earlier than 15 March, and no later than the 20th.

http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/when-will-the-conclave-start/

Basilisa Marie

I think it's 15 days after resigning, because they allow 15 days for travel.  They can extend it to up to 20 days for serious reason (freakish weather that grounds all planes, etc).  But I assume if everyone gets there on day 1, they'll start.  

franciscanheart

According to Dr. Peters it may not start, according to current rules, any earlier than 15 March, and no later than the 20th.
http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/when-will-the-conclave-start/

Thank you for that! I can't remember where I was reading the 15-day thing. I wish I could look it up and see where my error was. (Admittedly, I was reading at stop lights on my commute to work yesterday.)

Thank you for that! I can't remember where I was reading the 15-day thing. I wish I could look it up and see where my error was. (Admittedly, I was reading at stop lights on my commute to work yesterday.)

You probably got the couple day thing from the couple days of mourning that follow a pope's death. If I am remembering correctly, there is normally an additional two days of official mourning, or something along those lines, which are superfluous in this case.

I may be mistaken about that, but I recall reading it yesterday.

I think it's 15 days after resigning, because they allow 15 days for travel.  They can extend it to up to 20 days for serious reason (freakish weather that grounds all planes, etc).  But I assume if everyone gets there on day 1, they'll start.  

I believe Pope Benedict would have to officially change some of the rules if they wanted the conclave to start earlier. (And he may do so, who knows.)

franciscanheart

You probably got the couple day thing from the couple days of mourning that follow a pope's death. If I am remembering correctly, there is normally an additional two days of official mourning, or something along those lines, which are superfluous in this case.
I may be mistaken about that, but I recall reading it yesterday.

I believe Pope Benedict would have to officially change some of the rules if they wanted the conclave to start earlier. (And he may do so, who knows.)

I think I just misread the timeline. I thought it said it must start within 15 days (which, with a resignation, why wait), not that it had to begin 15-20 after. Makes sense, though.

Since a resignation is such a rare event, the current rules for the assembling of a conclave probably did not take the possibility into account. :hehe:

Huh? Someone said they didn't know who Arinze was so I posted the first couple YouTube videos I found so they could see how he speaks and stuff. Geesh.

That was me who said I knew next to nothing about Cardinal Arinze.  I've only heard his name mentioned elsewhere once or twice.  I know more about Cardinal Burke and Cardinal Dolan.  I vote Burke for Pope, not Dolan, though. I don't think Dolan is eligible since he was only made Cardinal in 2012. ;)

Can someone tell me why Cardinals lose the right to enter the conclave at age 80?  I suspect it's from a decline in mental cognition but I can't find anything to answer this question.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

franciscanheart

I don't think Dolan is eligible since he was only made Cardinal in 2012. ;)

Not true. Any baptized Roman Catholic male is eligible for election as pope, but only cardinals have been selected since 1378. There's no rule against electing a newly elevated Cardinal.

Not true. Any baptized Roman Catholic male is eligible for election as pope, but only cardinals have been selected since 1378. There's no rule against electing a newly elevated Cardinal.

I misused the word "eligible."  I meant it's unlikely he will be chosen if they are looking for someone experienced.  ;)

Does anybody else feel sick to your stomach? For most of today I forgot this happened and then whoop all at once remembered.