An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

Yeah, because that's totally what we said. And when didn't say it, it's CERTAINLY what we were implying. :rolleyes:

Fold your arms and walk away if you must, but no one is inflicting this on you. You are creating and carrying your own cross on this one. I don't discredit your condition(s) or the pain associated with them, but that has nothing to do with your calling the Pope's decision a cop-out.

I think the way you speak of his decision to resign is disrespectful. Have your reservations, but also have some respect. I mean, come on, Catherine: HE'S THE POPE. You think he didn't think and pray about this? You really think this is some rash cop-out because he wants to spend more time with his cats and have some lush, easy death? GIVE ME A BREAK.

I think this is missing some words.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57568817/cardinal-dolan-startled-by-popes-decision-to-resign/
Cardinal Dolan is going to Rome
My guess is we will have a new pope by Easter

The last time a pope resigned they waited till he was dead (just over two years) before electing a new one.

Edited by Apotheoun

somehow i am comforted by the thought that he will live out his days in the Vatican. it would feel like he's still 'around' somehow.  ohhh how will I ever be able to love a holy father as much as this one? le sigh ....

Jesus is still captain of the ship.

I admire Pope Benedict stepping down if he feels his capabilities are no longer adequate to the task he was given some eight years ago which was even then an extremely difficult one - now possibly even more demanding.  I have heard he is retiring to what was a contemplative monastery in Rome and am confident there he will offer his days and prayer for The Church.  One commentator remarked that this decision by the Holy Father bears his marks of humility, courage and reflection.

Daily prayer for Pope Benedict and for his successor whoever it might be.  Prayer too for the Cardinals who will go into conclave for the election.

Jesus is still captain of the ship.

I admire Pope Benedict stepping down if he feels his capabilities are no longer adequate to the task he was given some eight years ago which was even then an extremely difficult one - now possibly even more demanding.  I have heard he is retiring to what was a contemplative monastery in Rome and am confident there he will offer his days and prayer for The Church.  One commentator remarked that this decision by the Holy Father bears his marks of humility, courage and reflection.

Daily prayer for Pope Benedict and for his successor whoever it might be.  Prayer too for the Cardinals who will go into conclave for the election.

That's the interesting thing about religious commentary.  If John Paul II stays until then end then it's the ultimate demonstration of humility.  If Benedict XVI resigns then it's the ultimate demonstration of humility.  

I like Benedict XVI.  I think he's an intelligent and thoughtful man.  I wish him the best.

That's the interesting thing about religious commentary.  If John Paul II stays until then end then it's the ultimate demonstration of humility.  If Benedict XVI resigns then it's the ultimate demonstration of humility.  

I like Benedict XVI.  I think he's an intelligent and thoughtful man.  I wish him the best.

It depends on the circumstances of why they left office. I am not sure either are the "ultimate" demonstration of humility.

PhuturePriest

Exciting news for your campaign: You don't even need to be a Priest to be elected Pope. If such an extraordinary occurrence happened, you would have to be ordained a Priest, then a Bishop, and then given the title of Pope, but there is still hope for your campaign!

like Ronald Reagan before his death and during his Presidency

True.  We wouldn't want to go through that again ^.^

GeorgiiMichael

It depends on the circumstances of why they left office. I am not sure either are the "ultimate" demonstration of humility.

Yeah, neither of those seem quite up to becoming human, being mocked and ridiculed, then being crucified for a bunch of ungrateful ingrates.

Yeah, neither of those seem quite up to becoming human, being mocked and ridiculed, then being crucified for a bunch of ungrateful ingrates.

Although I have felt that a minority of the warnings I have received here have been unfair I would say that 'crucified' is a bit exaggerated   

I'm sorry that my attitude is seen as disrespectful. I guess I'm just another cripple who has no place in society and nothing left to offer. I resign from Phatmass so that I no longer upset anyone.

CatherineM, I'm really sorry that you feel this way about the Holy Father's resignation. I can see how you would feel that he is just giving up, given that you and your husband and your whole family having pushed through some incredibly hard stuff, and you have not given up. That is admirable, and I think that experience makes your position understandable.

But understand, too, that you can't hold others to your standards. You can't expect everyone to respond to everything the way you do. You don't know what is going on in Papa's heart, what circumstances he's living in, what his hidden reasons and intentions are. It's just not fair to judge to him as you would judge yourself. I think you're only judging out of hurt, but still, please have some charity. He is not you.

Edited by curiousing

franciscanheart

would we all get locked in here for a conclave until we elected a new dust?  Who is eligible to be the next dust?

All CMs, regulators, clergy, and religious under the age of 80 have voting rights. Anybody non-phishy can be chosen, but if a non-CM is chosen he must first be elevated to CM status. The next Dust must be elected by a 2/3 majority, but if a stalemate exists after one month of voting, then a simple majority suffices. If after two months the next Dust has not been chosen, instead of voting all eligible electors will fight until only one remains, who then becomes the next Dust.

I think it works a little bit like American politics. Translated: I would take over.

I think this is missing some words.

You know me too well. :|

It just occurred to me, I really hope we see Monsignor Guido Marini retain his role as Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations. He has done a spectacular job, especially considering who he took over from. I would really miss seeing Monsignor Guido Marini in almost every single picture and video of the Holy Father. :P

capt_a6e01997cf5e48d28cf50fd7edf188e5_va

Seriously, I am convinced that it is more difficult to find a picture of a papal liturgy without Monsignor Marini in it. :P

Edited by Nihil Obstat