An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

I thought a guy in my class was just making a mean joke this morning since he knows I am more passionate about my faith than the rest of my class, but our English teacher mentioned it also.  She would never lie to us. I made the sign of the cross and started praying for a good desision and a fast one to be made!

Isn't he the one Dante put in hell?  Like his successor was corrupt and convinced him that he soul was in danger and Dante took that as him abandoning his flock to the wolves.  Or did I make that up?  I haven't read Dante since 11th grade but I feel like I remember reading that in the footnotes.  

Yes, there are some commentators who have identified a nameless pope in the ante-room of hell in Dante's Divine Comedy with Celestine V.  But it is a disputed reference.

Edited by Apotheoun

I also think he is great, but I am expecting someone significantly younger. Cardinal Arinze is 80 already.

Just depends upon whether the Cardinals are looking for long term stability or just short term continuity.

Just depends upon whether the Cardinals are looking for long term stability or just short term continuity.

I am just going by the old phrase "after a fat pope, a thin pope." :smile3:

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Just like a lot of people here I have a big range of emotions running inside me right now. But as I was doing homework right now listening to Pandora, this song by David Crowder came on called "Only You", which I think the lyrics are really appropriate for this situation. Music is one of the most profound ways of prayer for me, so I though this might help those who are struggling just as I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6xSOMdt_2g

dominicansoul

"Pope John Paul II remained in office so that he might show us how to suffer and how to die. Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Papal Office so that he might show us how to live in humble honesty."

----Sr. Mary Theresa, O.P. (DSMME)

I just found out she's the one who said this and it spread through the interwebs like wildfire! :D

I am mad at the Pope. No, I do not "understand."

Ii was a member of the Cardinal Ratzinger fan club way before any of  this  happened.

Wail.

:cry4:

inunionwithrome

I, as are most people, are still in shock. Just as with anything this big, it takes a while

to soak in. This is big news, and now I must think of how to describe these events to

my fourth and fifth graders should the questions arise.

I, as are most people, are still in shock. Just as with anything this big, it takes a while

to soak in. This is big news, and now I must think of how to describe these events to

my fourth and fifth graders should the questions arise.

Perhaps draw a comparison with their grandparents and great-grandparents, who by that age are beginning to slow down and not have the energy to do all the things they once did.

IcePrincessKRS

A former professor of mine shared on his blog today some key phrases that struck him from the Pope's resignation speech. This former professor suffers with some chronic health issues and I think it may have given him a little insight that many of us would probably overlook. I feel certain Pope Benedict didn't take any great pleasure in delivering his address.

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God....

I have had to recognize my incapacity....

I ask pardon for all my defects....

I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer."

http://www.johnjanaro.com/2013/02/you-have-been-blessing-to-us.html

inunionwithrome

Perhaps draw a comparison with their grandparents and great-grandparents, who by that age are beginning to slow down and not have the energy to do all the things they once did.

Thank you for the advice! This really helps give me a leg up, so to speak.

God Bless and yes, I was also trying to make another post.

In happier news February marks the 1,700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan granting toleration to Christians in the Roman Empire.

In happier news February marks the 1,700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan granting toleration to Christians in the Roman Empire.

Turned us all soft, I say. :mad:

Hey Dusty, what does your spike in web traffic look like today?