Basilisa Marie Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 I think it's 15 days after resigning, because they allow 15 days for travel. They can extend it to up to 20 days for serious reason (freakish weather that grounds all planes, etc). But I assume if everyone gets there on day 1, they'll start.
franciscanheart Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 According to Dr. Peters it may not start, according to current rules, any earlier than 15 March, and no later than the 20th.http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/when-will-the-conclave-start/Thank you for that! I can't remember where I was reading the 15-day thing. I wish I could look it up and see where my error was. (Admittedly, I was reading at stop lights on my commute to work yesterday.)
Nihil Obstat Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Thank you for that! I can't remember where I was reading the 15-day thing. I wish I could look it up and see where my error was. (Admittedly, I was reading at stop lights on my commute to work yesterday.) You probably got the couple day thing from the couple days of mourning that follow a pope's death. If I am remembering correctly, there is normally an additional two days of official mourning, or something along those lines, which are superfluous in this case. I may be mistaken about that, but I recall reading it yesterday. I think it's 15 days after resigning, because they allow 15 days for travel. They can extend it to up to 20 days for serious reason (freakish weather that grounds all planes, etc). But I assume if everyone gets there on day 1, they'll start. I believe Pope Benedict would have to officially change some of the rules if they wanted the conclave to start earlier. (And he may do so, who knows.)
franciscanheart Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 You probably got the couple day thing from the couple days of mourning that follow a pope's death. If I am remembering correctly, there is normally an additional two days of official mourning, or something along those lines, which are superfluous in this case.I may be mistaken about that, but I recall reading it yesterday.I believe Pope Benedict would have to officially change some of the rules if they wanted the conclave to start earlier. (And he may do so, who knows.)I think I just misread the timeline. I thought it said it must start within 15 days (which, with a resignation, why wait), not that it had to begin 15-20 after. Makes sense, though.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Since a resignation is such a rare event, the current rules for the assembling of a conclave probably did not take the possibility into account. :hehe:
OnlySunshine Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 (edited) Huh? Someone said they didn't know who Arinze was so I posted the first couple YouTube videos I found so they could see how he speaks and stuff. Geesh. That was me who said I knew next to nothing about Cardinal Arinze. I've only heard his name mentioned elsewhere once or twice. I know more about Cardinal Burke and Cardinal Dolan. I vote Burke for Pope, not Dolan, though. I don't think Dolan is eligible since he was only made Cardinal in 2012. ;) Can someone tell me why Cardinals lose the right to enter the conclave at age 80? I suspect it's from a decline in mental cognition but I can't find anything to answer this question. Edited February 12, 2013 by MaterMisericordiae
franciscanheart Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 I don't think Dolan is eligible since he was only made Cardinal in 2012. ;)Not true. Any baptized Roman Catholic male is eligible for election as pope, but only cardinals have been selected since 1378. There's no rule against electing a newly elevated Cardinal.
OnlySunshine Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Not true. Any baptized Roman Catholic male is eligible for election as pope, but only cardinals have been selected since 1378. There's no rule against electing a newly elevated Cardinal. I misused the word "eligible." I meant it's unlikely he will be chosen if they are looking for someone experienced. ;)
Lilllabettt Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Does anybody else feel sick to your stomach? For most of today I forgot this happened and then whoop all at once remembered.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Does anybody else feel sick to your stomach? For most of today I forgot this happened and then whoop all at once remembered. Not really. For me, once the initial shock wore off, I was feeling pretty decent. Nervous, but hopeful too. There are several great men with a good shot at being chosen.
Ash Wednesday Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Does anybody else feel sick to your stomach? For most of today I forgot this happened and then whoop all at once remembered. When I first heard it in the news where it was breaking on the BBC but no reason for resignation was given, I felt completely sick and my heart was pounding. Now after the fact, my thoughts are settled. Nonetheless, we live in such strange times.
Norseman82 Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Does anybody else feel sick to your stomach? For most of today I forgot this happened and then whoop all at once remembered. Go eat a pÄ…czki before midnight and you will feel better.
HisChildForever Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Can someone tell me why Cardinals lose the right to enter the conclave at age 80? I suspect it's from a decline in mental cognition but I can't find anything to answer this question. Maybe it has to do with travel and safety.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Maybe it has to do with travel and safety. They are expected to attend, if health allows. They leave when the extra omnes is declared.
Apotheoun Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 (edited) Maybe it has to do with travel and safety. If he was concerned about safety he should have paid attention to Jiminy Cricket as a boy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udk1S93KGc4 Edited February 13, 2013 by Apotheoun
Apotheoun Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Here's the corrected youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udk1S93KGc4
homeschoolmom Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 I thought you were going to post this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG-aA7nEJec
franciscanheart Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 I don't understand why anyone is nervous or anxious. You think the Holy Spirit isn't up to the job?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now